Tricky robbery situation

Tricky robbery situation

This is a discussion on Tricky robbery situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was talking to a customer of mine today when she mentioned a few days ago she was robbed. I wanted to know more because ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree87Likes

Thread: Tricky robbery situation

Tricky robbery situation

I was talking to a customer of mine today when she mentioned a few days ago she was robbed. I wanted to know more because I like to run situations through my head and picture what I would do, but this one just boggled my mind.

She explained it was 12:30am she was assisting a drunk friend that needed help, he was laying on the drivers seat of the car with the drivers door opened. She was standing in between the opened driver door of her car and the car. She looked down for a min or so and when she looked up all she saw was a "black" man standing toward the front of her car. He didn't say anything but had a certain look on his face that pretty much said "don't mess with me", as she explained. Before she knew it one of his accomplices came up behind her and took her purse, might have had a few exchange of words, and they both disappeared. She mentioned there was no visible weapon when the robbery happened.

This taught me a lot considering this is very possible to anyone at anytime. Had it been any of us and I had drawn and not paying attention to my back it could have gotten real bad. This happened in a populated area of town in a somewhat dark parking lot. Might not of been anyone around at the time to see the incident.

Things I learned are to:

- SA (Situational awareness) possibly the only way to avoid this situation. But let's face it you can't CONSTANTLY be watching your surroundings and still get stuff done.

- Always always watch out for accomplices.

- Possibly not even draw, let them take your stuff, materials are replaceable.

Having said that, what would you do in this situation?

VIP Member
    The drunk dude violated all three components of the law of the three stupids, as did the woman. That said, there is nothing to be done.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Honestly... if someone wants something that you are carrying and especially if they are working with an accomplice and the item is not tethered to you.. they are probably gonna get it. This is probably the first and only time her purse will be stolen but its probably not the first or even the 10th time that this duo has snatched a purse... no matter how much you pay attention, most people are still behind the curve and up against a well practiced criminal. What would I have done? Probably moved away from him as he came around the front.. Im never gonna stand static but that still doesnt mean the fast moving number 2 man wouldnt still have gotten the purse. All you can do is be as aware as possible, make good decisions, have a well thought out self defense system which includes training and hope for the best.
    BenGoodLuck and DingBat like this.
    Think like a man of action - Act like a man of thought

My answer won't make your customer happy. I would have never gone to save the drunken fool so I wouldn't have to think about what I would do there. He chose to get drunk, not me. He'd be lucky if I didn't phone the non-emergency number and have the po-po give him a visit, find him in the driver's seat, probably with the keys within reach. I have no patience for that kind of irresponsible behavior.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Quote Originally Posted by Dan.1977P View Post
    My answer won't make your customer happy. I would have never gone to save the drunken fool so I wouldn't have to think about what I would do there. He chose to get drunk, not me. He'd be lucky if I didn't phone the non-emergency number and have the po-po give him a visit, find him in the driver's seat, probably with the keys within reach. I have no patience for that kind of irresponsible behavior.
    Was he irresponsible if he DIDN'T drive?
    Chasejax likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Passed out drunk across the front seat of the car with the door open after midnight in a neighborhood frequented by muggers... yeah, irresponsible.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Passed out drunk across the front seat of the car with the door open after midnight in a neighborhood frequented by muggers... yeah, irresponsible.
    We don't know the particulars and one would assume he called for help (unless she is psychic). Yet he'd call the police. With friends like THAT...
    DingBat and Chasejax like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    We don't know the particulars and one would assume he called for help (unless she is psychic). Yet he'd call the police. With friends like THAT...
    I don't have friends who call me drunk at 12:30 in the morning. Like I said previously, the laws of the three stupids.
    Ayn Rand

Senior Member Array NickBurkhardt's Avatar
    That tunnel vision is a *****.
    DingBat likes this.

Drunk people are dumb, that's not new. Nice people can do dumb things while trying to help, this is pretty common. What the story brought to my mind right away was "situation awareness". Something we should never forget.
    Brad426, tcox4freedom and DingBat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I don't have friends who call me drunk at 12:30 in the morning. Like I said previously, the laws of the three stupids.
    Color me shocked.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Meltz View Post
    I was talking to a customer of mine today when she mentioned a few days ago she was robbed. I wanted to know more because I like to run situations through my head and picture what I would do, but this one just boggled my mind.

She explained it was 12:30am she was assisting a drunk friend that needed help, he was laying on the drivers seat of the car with the drivers door opened. She was standing in between the opened driver door of her car and the car. She looked down for a min or so and when she looked up all she saw was a "black" man standing toward the front of her car. He didn't say anything but had a certain look on his face that pretty much said "don't mess with me", as she explained. Before she knew it one of his accomplices came up behind her and took her purse, might have had a few exchange of words, and they both disappeared. She mentioned there was no visible weapon when the robbery happened.

This taught me a lot considering this is very possible to anyone at anytime. Had it been any of us and I had drawn and not paying attention to my back it could have gotten real bad. This happened in a populated area of town in a somewhat dark parking lot. Might not of been anyone around at the time to see the incident.

Things I learned are to:

- SA (Situational awareness) possibly the only way to avoid this situation. But let's face it you can't CONSTANTLY be watching your surroundings and still get stuff done.

- Always always watch out for accomplices.

- Possibly not even draw, let them take your stuff, materials are replaceable.

Having said that, what would you do in this situation?
    You already said it: Possibly not even draw, let them take your stuff, materials are replaceable. No need to turn a basic robbery event into a gunfight. If they want to escalate beyond that then things change, but other than that, it's jsut not worth it.

VIP Member
    Color me shocked.
    Yeah, my sig line was probably a giveaway.
    Ayn Rand

Yeppers. Just the act of getting that drunk is irresponsible. Tack on walking out to your car shows intent to get behind the wheel of a deadly weapon and potentially murder someone's family, and youve shown just a tad bit of irresponsibility.
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

That's why I only drink excessively when at home, alone, doors locked, watching '70's-era films with surrealist or psychedelic vibes. The scribbled notes I find the next day make for interesting reading.

But back to the topic at hand. From your description of her position, it sounds like not only was she not paying attention to her surroundings, but she trapped herself between two vehicles, leaving no path of escape. She put herself in a very bad spot, and she was lucky to lose her purse. They could just have easily stuffed her into the car and taken off with her. The next morning the guy would forget she was ever there, and in a day or three people would start to wonder why she wasn't answering the phone.

So, as to the question of what I would do in that situation, I would say that I would not get into that situation. If I had, it would mean that I've already failed at the most important part of self-defense, which is avoiding situations that are likely to require a gun, and especially situations where a gun is likely to be insufficient. If for some reason I felt absolutely compelled to be there to save my idiot friend, I would absolutely keep my head on a swivel every single second, and use my flashlight as needed to make sure there was no one approaching.

In such circumstances I think calling someone for help would be wise, and if no one was available, calling the police makes a great deal of sense. Criminals are predators, and predators target the sick and wounded. Being drunk to incapacitation in such a place is a physical danger, and if my idiot friend were to spend a night in jail, better than his being robbed, beaten and/or killed. If he was angry about it afterwards, tough. There's my $0.02.
    DingBat likes this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links