HD go to gun, .40 or shotgun?

HD go to gun, .40 or shotgun?

This is a discussion on HD go to gun, .40 or shotgun? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I guess the title doesn't need more description, but here's my question further detailed. I have a bedside gun safe that I set before going ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: HD go to gun, .40 or shotgun?

Question HD go to gun, .40 or shotgun?

I guess the title doesn't need more description, but here's my question further detailed. I have a bedside gun safe that I set before going to bed in a way for quick access. I have my Glock 23 .40 ready to roll, and my Rem 870 shotgun w buckshot as well. I don't keep a nightstand set up, have older kids in the house, and am not comfortable w that. (But can access my guns in 3-4 sec). W/all that said, which gun would you go to if you heard someone trying to break in?

If the S really was HTF, I would want a 12 gauge over any handgun caliber.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    That is a totally personal preference question. Only you know your house your walls where your kids are likely to be.

For me I'm going for my pistol... but the shot gun is a great option too.
    onthegreen78 and Secret Spuk like this.
    Things gun forums have taught me:
    -Some people shoot guns other "run" them.
    -I don't dislike Glocks but often dislike Glock owners.
    -Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!
    -Simple math can deliver posts per day... some gun forum members need to get out more!!!

If I'm sure there's a break-in and I can stay in the bedroom, grab shotgun and call 911.

If I simply need to check a suspicious noise, or need to gather people from other rooms, the Glock plus a flashlight.
    onthegreen78 likes this.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

Captain Bellamy

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Whichever I can access first!
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Depends on the bump in the night.

Last time I had one, it was a minor noise, but suspicious nonetheless. Grabbed the 686+. Because 7 rounds of .357 cool in the hand just felt right.

But somebody trying to kick down the door? The Mossberg 500 would be the "go-to" option. First, I'd rack the slide to chamber a round, ejecting the dummy shell and loading a live one. Next, time permitting, I'd switch on the tac-lite. Finally, if I had the opportunity, I'd swing out the folding stock. Do those things in that order.

I've shot enough rounds of #1 buck through the gun to know that this is the maximum firepower I have available. If I had a carbine in the lineup, I might go for that, but right now the Mossberg is my heaviest weapon.
    Last edited by shockwave; May 24th, 2014 at 07:51 PM.
    onthegreen78, Brad426 and wester like this.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Distinguished Member Array kelcarry's Avatar
    Ditto on Brad426. I will use #4Buck instead of 00 thru #3. Within my HD distances in my locked bedroom, 5-6 ft is max and the spread of the #4 Buck is more than enough to "discourage" without laying waste to the wall, the door and beyond. Still might be too much, but the point is that slugs or 00 or 0-3 buck are just reaping an awful lot of damage or penetration beyond the target that is not necessary. Hey that's just me. I do believe the shotgun is the way to go in my situation. If you are "sweeping your house" looking for a BG, a shotgun may not be a best choice--you can end up trashing a lot of your house, and you are limited in the number of shells you have. I will not be "sweeping the house" but I do have an FN5.7 with 20+1 cartridges, lot of accuracy, lot of velocity and energy, and boutique ammo that will frange the heck out of someone--- up to each of us to decide.
    onthegreen78 and Brad426 like this.

For me it's the shotgun, hands down YMMV.
    onthegreen78 and Brad426 like this.

If I had to go around my house (Room Clearing) and my grandkids were in the house. I'd let Crazy Ol Uncle Joe Biden hold the shotgun. Handgun for me for HD.
    "A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves !"
    Edwards R. Murrow

Pump action shotgun over any pistol. Always. Pistol wound people. Long guns make them STOP what they are doing. If I run out of ammo and I have to hit someone with my firearm, I'd much rather hit them with 8 pounds of steel and wood (870) than a polymer paperweight.

Load that 870 full of good quality full power buckshot (anything from 000 up to #4 but my vote would be for 0, slap a flashlight on it, and sleep well knowing that you have a first-rate response prepared for anyone who decides to visit you uninvited)
    onthegreen78 likes this.

I live alone, except for my bird dog and my cat; and we're out in the country with the next door neighbor a quarter-mile away in either direction. My go-to weapon is my Glock 22, usually on the night stand with a tactical flashlight when I'm home, and secured in the drawer when I'm not. My ready shotgun is a Winchester 101 double-barrel, standing behind the bedroom door with a box of 3" magnum #4 birdshot. So yeah, I go first to the Glock ;-)

My usual worries are the occasional marauding varmints (skunks, armadillos, possums, etc.) so once identified I sometimes go back to fetch the shotgun, but my dog and my Glocks, they comfort me ;-)

Neither.

A .357 revolver has more knockdown power than the .40, and the shotgun can be slow to get into action quickly. Get yourself something like a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 for a truly powerful home defense handgun that is fast into action!

Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    If I had to go around my house (Room Clearing) and my grandkids were in the house. I'd let Crazy Ol Uncle Joe Biden hold the shotgun. Handgun for me for HD.
    Here's an additional dilemma in my situation. I, by nature, want to go room clearing. This is due to the fact that I have four kids in three other bedrooms. With three of them being teenagers, I usually assume any bump in the night is one of them. Depending on the situation, if there's time, I would gather them with their mother upstairs in our bedroom, wife calls 911, and secure the immediate area. So, I might try to holster the glock and use the 12 gauge as a primary, with glock as a backup.

If I lived by myself, I would go with a shotgun loaded with OO buck. Shotguns are excellent HD weapons as far as stopping power but they could pose a danger to others in the household.
    onthegreen78 likes this.

Senior Member Array rugergunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    If the S really was HTF, I would want a 12 gauge over any handgun caliber.
    Me too, but one of my handguns are always within arms reach...I would have to access the safe to get to one of the shotguns.
    I would rather die on my feet, than to live on my knees.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links