Being approached aggressively

This is a discussion on Being approached aggressively within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So yesterday evening as I was loading groceries into my car I noticed two younger guys yelling across the street after exiting a car parked ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree159Likes

Thread: Being approached aggressively

So yesterday evening as I was loading groceries into my car I noticed two younger guys yelling across the street after exiting a car parked alongside the road from the parking space I am at. All of a sudden I hear them yell at me and approaching me quickly saying "hey bro hey we wanna talk to you." I quickly assumed a defensive posture and yelled back "stay the (expletive) over there I don't wanna talk to you. " immediately after one of the males pulls his buddy away and says he will stay over there and they walked away. I continued to watch them as I put the rest of the stuff in my car and left.

I was glad though my SA alerted me quickly to their presence so I could act quickly in response to them.

How do you all generally react to being approached aggressively in such a manner?

Btw I wasn't carrying. I am STILL waiting on my permit.

That is a strange situation. What provoked this?
    Oreste, USM1976 and Aceoky like this.

I have no idea. I saw them park their car along the curb on the other side of the street. They get out and yell to each other and laugh. I kept an eye on them. As I opened the back doors to my car was when they yelled hey bro at me and quickly walked toward me. They got no further than 6 feet across before I told them to back off. They went the other way past their car then back into their car. I think they were either on drugs or were looking for someone to rob.
    ccw9mm and 64zebra like this.

Well done sir!

How would carrying change your response or reaction?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadScientist View Post
    I have no idea. I saw them park their car along the curb on the other side of the street. They get out and yell to each other and laugh. I kept an eye on them. As I opened the back doors to my car was when they yelled hey bro at me and quickly walked toward me. They got no further than 6 feet across before I told them to back off. They went the other way past their car then back into their car. I think they were either on drugs or were looking for someone to rob.
    Sounds like you did the right thing and the situation didn't need to be escalated. That is what I would have done. If they indeed came closer or kept approaching and got within 10-15 feet, I'd draw on them and if they kept coming or went for a weapon I'd shoot.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    pretty much what Arcam said above. Draw if they came too close or did more threatening gestures like pulling weapons or trying to corner me. The 21 foot rule applies well here I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    Sounds like he did fine.

But, obviously having means of defense beyond simple H2H and withdrawal would afford some option in the event such tactics as he displayed failed to have any impact on the inbound folks. Had they dismissed his request and blown through to put hands on him, he'd then have had the option of stiffening his response accordingly. I don't see that as changing the tactics any, but just affording another choice if things get bad.
    oneshot, shockwave and Aceoky like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sounds like you did the right thing. His buddy all of a sudden pulling the other away and saying they would stay over there makes me think he thought you were carrying. BGs don't like it that we can carry. Makes their life more difficult. Like you I always keep track of what is happening in my area. May not have been a problem but with the world we live in you just can't take chances. You did good.
    Aceoky and NONAME762 like this.

Distinguished Member
    It could not have turned out better. Your SA alerted you to a developing sit. and you reacted in a manner that stopped the perceived threat. No other entanglements. Ya done good.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

VIP Member
    Same thing I would have done, but with more restrained language. I don't want participants or bystanders to perceive any escalation whatsoever on my part. F-bombing them, while defensible, could be perceived as challenging.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Good job.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Sounds like they didn't like the fact that you "looked" at them. It happens.
    Aceoky likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    pretty much what Arcam said above. Draw if they came too close or did more threatening gestures like pulling weapons or trying to corner me. The 21 foot rule applies well here I think.
    They could have been wanting to ask directions. You don't "own" that 21-foot diameter around you. Their right to be wherever it's legal for them to be exists whether it makes you uncomfortable or not. Drawing because someone gets too close to you is a quick way to lose a newly issued permit and a lot of time out in the gray bar hotel. It can also result in their drawing back. How lucky do you feel.
    ccw9mm, kelcarry, PJR202 and 8 others like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    There is no such thing as a 21-foot-rule.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links