I NEVER get tired of this story

This is a discussion on I NEVER get tired of this story within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Id be amazed if this has never been posted before. It's probably even a sticky somewhere. Lance Thomas is so impressive, not only from a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: I NEVER get tired of this story

Id be amazed if this has never been posted before. It's probably even a sticky somewhere.

Lance Thomas is so impressive, not only from a defense standpoint but also his philosophy on life and self protection. His mustache alone should repel most crime before it even begins. There should be a viewing of this at every handgun class.

Real Gunfighter Lance Thomas on Justic Files - YouTube

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    gatorbait51, Badey and Tinman517 like this.

Seen it before I believe he now only does business behind closed doors by appointment only,
    gatorbait51 and Old Sarge like this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Senior Member Array CommonCents's Avatar
    wow!
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PJR202 View Post
    Id be amazed if this has never been posted before. It's probably even a sticky somewhere.

Lance Thomas is so impressive, not only from a defense standpoint but also his philosophy on life and self protection. His mustache alone should repel most crime before it even begins. There should be a viewing of this at every handgun class.

Real Gunfighter Lance Thomas on Justic Files - YouTube

Yeah, most of us have seen it, I've even posted it myself.

Now, go back and watch it again.

This time, look at the price he paid.

He does, or did, a while back, still repair watches. In his home. By appointment only.

He "refuses to be a victim." Yet, he is. The people who worked for him are out of jobs because he would not move his business.

He was allowed to carry a gun with a permit where very few are. Because of death threats. He could not keep his store open, because the last lot he killed were real gang bangers, he didn't care about the threats to him. .. But the gang threatened his customers.

Now, I admire Lance Thomas... But the rest of the story does not paint as pretty a picture, if you know it.

Then, there was the man in Des Moines, Iowa that defended himself against grave bodily injury by 2 thugs. On the street, on his way home.

He spent 120 days or so in jail. They evicted him from his home (rental apartment) put his belongings on the curb. .. including his computers (pretty sure his long guns were impounded by police, least I hope so). And when he called 911 the tape proved he warned the approaching thugs, and only shot when they continued to advance. ...

It was all reasonable self defense, and the victim was an ex LEO. At the time of the shooting, he was working for the I.R.S. In other words, a pretty upstanding citizen... Still, jailed for also "refusing to be a victim."

Keep THESE stories in mind when potentially faced with a self defense scenario. Just to be fully cognizant of the potential costs involved in "refusing to be a victim. " You may well be one anyway, in one way or another. ..
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Trust me, I hope my gun never leaves its holster. Unlike what seems like an alarming nunber of members here (based on posts and comnents) I see no glamor at all in self defense shootings. I just admire the guy's determination and mental fortitude. I think the shot of the shoes (attatched to legs) sticking partly through the doorway speaks volumes about the seriousness of the situations he was in, and to survive FOUR gunfights is just incredible.

Last edited by PJR202; May 27th, 2014 at 05:27 AM.

I love the reporters questions "why didn't you just let him have your watches."
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Seen it before. Still irritates me when it starts off. The announcer referring to him as a Charles Bronson. The man isn't a vigilante, he's a business owner defending himself. Big difference, of course not in the eyes of the press.
    Navydude and gatorbait51 like this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Yes, there are consequences in defending your life. Whether you die or survive, there will be consequences. Personally, I would rather survive and deal with the consequences.

Definitely not Charles Bronson. He just wanted to repair watches and take care of his customers. If more people stood up for themselves it might be different. But then they could be dead. Not something that can be easily determined. If he gave up the watches would he be alive? Maybe and maybe not.

If I make it through my life with my handgun staying holstered then that is fantastic. But if I ever need it then it is there. This man has paid a price. Gang bangers want him dead. They rule by fear and living in fear is not my idea of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Best of luck to him.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

The saga of this man and how he defended himself against people who by all accounts should all be pushing up stickers and holly trees came to this forum a couple months ago. He paid a high price for just wanting to practice his craft.
    tdave, Navydude and gatorbait51 like this.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

Distinguished Member Array David Armstrong's Avatar
    Keep THESE stories in mind when potentially faced with a self defense scenario. Just to be fully cognizant of the potential costs involved in "refusing to be a victim. " You may well be one anyway, in one way or another. ..
    A very big +1. Ego and pride are all well and good but I quit believing they were worth fighting over long ago. My philosophy and what I teach others is "how do I minimize my loss of resources." Those resources can be money, family, quality of life or many other things. Often refusing to be a victim costs more than being a victim. You might feel good after, but reducing your loss by $15,000 makes up for a lot of hurt feelings for just one example. Nothing wrong with fighting, but even the best fighters know when to cut their losses.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

What if he couldn't have moved his store? We don't really know his reasoning other than that he chose to put his life back into his own hands. The statement 'I'm not going to negotiate my life' carries a lot of weight.

Navydude likes this.

Distinguished Member
    Now if he decides to hunt down the gang bangers and eliminate the threat - THEN call him Charles Bronson.

Typical media hyperbole.
    Navydude likes this.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

This is a great story but a sobering story for what entails using a gun for self defense. He is absolutely right emphasizing the length he went to, to be prepared. That was far beyond just purchasing a gun. He even mentioned that other store owners just buying a gun doesn't mean they are any safer. He ends the video by talking about just wanting to feel alive. You don't get anymore real than that.

VIP Member
    I admire the guy for defending himself with "No Hesitation" that is what saved him .

As far as anyone that would say why not give them your watches , i say if you give them the watches this week; next week they will want your life .
    kaikane0812 and Spade115 like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links