Would you have gone Orange?

Would you have gone Orange?

This is a discussion on Would you have gone Orange? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First off I am 21 years old, I know i dont know everything so I want to know if you all think my reaction makes ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you have gone Orange?

me [OP]

Question Would you have gone Orange?

First off I am 21 years old, I know i dont know everything so I want to know if you all think my reaction makes sense.

At about midnight I was out with a female friend (also 21) letting her see our city at night from an overlook area. we had taken a ride up to the over look by one of the local inclines. We had gone through the normal observation area and we headed to a different incline to go down the hill and see the city from a differnt angle.

At this point we were the only people in the on the side walk with in my visual range. I have always been on yellow even before I carried (I am a medic so scene safety has been beat into my head) I had just looked around when out of nowhere a black lexus sedan came flying up behind us, slammed on the brakes and pulled onto the sidewalk in front of us, within 20 feet. My friend happen to be on the street side, I asked her to move to the other side. As she did my hand moved and went to my CCW, I had my hand totally covering the gun (Keltec .380) and ready to draw. after a few seconds of watching the car and nothing happening from it we continued past it watching it the whole way.

Turns out the guy decided to dial his cell phone and pulled over just infront of us.

Does this seem like an over reaction or was this an appropriat reaction. I never drew my weapon and it was still hidden from view by my hand. My friend knew I was carrying and she was also freaked out by the car pulling over as it did.

This area although a high priced area has had its share of crime, please let me know if you think this was an over reaction or correct, so far those i have told among us in the CCW world have told me they would have done the same.

Thanks

Assistant Administrator
    First ........

Sounds like Pitt - and maybe the Duquesne inclined or close!!!

I reckon anyone would have gone to orange - it was a sudden and suspicious event. So - you prepared for trouble but did not invite it or IMO over react. Overall can't see most of us would have done much different.

I'll move this to ''scenarios'' as being more apt.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Darn right I would have elevated my status to be prepared for whatever came next.

Good to hear that nothing happened.

Better safe than sorry.

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

I think your actions were appropriate. Yes, I would have gone to Orange as well. Drawing your weapon may have been going too far, so what you did (hand on weapon only) seems to fit the situation. Glad it worked out. Being out after midnight in a secluded area might not have been the best idea, though.

The driver was less then considerate in his actions, not thinking - or caring - about how it would appear to a couple walking alone in the dark. And pulling onto a sidewalk right in front of people's path? Sheesh....

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    I would have gone to "cherry RED".
    Gun out,safety off and been looking down the sights at the car.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    First ........

Sounds like Pitt - and maybe the Duquesne inclined or close!!!

I reckon anyone would have gone to orange - it was a sudden and suspicious event. So - you prepared for trouble but did not invite it or IMO over react. Overall can't see most of us would have done much different.

I'll move this to ''scenarios'' as being more apt.
    perfect guess headding toward the duquesne incline

Assistant Administrator
    Gun out,safety off and been looking down the sights at the car.
    Really? With no other threat than a sudden car stop? No apparent weapon in sight?

Seems a tad excessive until more sure of threat. I sure might have considered and exploited some cover, I'll admit that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well, glad I'm not the only youngster around here, welcome aboard.

First of all, walkin in a dark secluded area at night, as mentioned, not the brightest idea, but then again, young people tend to lead different schedules, and well sometimes it happens. I work at a couple of bars and usually walk our girls to their cars in a dark alley behind the bar, and being as it is from a bar, no carry. Not all of us on this forum go to bed a 9 so we can wake up at 5 (no offense to you older folks), and after a certain time at night places get less populated, and dark. At least you had your weapon at hand, and were aware of your surroundings, I would have elevated my status as well.

You say that he pulled the car off the road onto the sidewalk in order to dial a cell phone? After midnight? Sounds like he had a little bit of a problem multitasking, possibly because of liquid encouragement? But that is speculation on my part.

One suggestion that I would make is you didn't mention if you had a flashlight on you when this happened. If you didn't make one part of your kit (I have a small metal LED one that is quite often in my hand as I walk around campus at night.) Aside from illuminating situations, they can also be used in as a defensive H2H tool.

Sounds like ya did a good job, enjoy the forum, lots of good info here.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Senior Moderator
    In these parts, that would considered to be downright rude...not to mention unneighborly.

You never just slam on the brakes and stop by someone. That is asking for trouble. The fact that nothing came of it is just proof that the guy was an idiot and didnt even think about it...but hey, the world is full of them.

However, IMHO elevating your awareness level would be justified. Better safe than sorry.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Administrator
    Maybe a yellowish orange at best.

Lead Moderator
    Lighting em up with a handheld light might have been a good move. Ohter than that, I would say you did fine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

me [OP]
    I was kicking myself for not having my flashlight but the area was well lit just not around many people at that particular spot. 400 feet prior i had been in visual refference to other people and 150 feet up the hill i regained the ability to see people but we were on a part of the hill where we had past the overlook and had not yet gotten to the resteraunt area. I could see the guy leaning over in the seat on the car but could not tell what he was doing until we decided the person was just being a moron and passed by.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    after a few seconds of watching the car and nothing happening from it we continued past it watching it the whole way.
    I would have gone the other way (you were going down the incline, so that would make you go up the incline? ) instead of close in to and go past the car - get some distance inbetween the vehicle and you. You can always stop at the point you barely see the vehicle and wait until it keeps going, makes a U turn, people get out, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Other than fleeing the scene, I can't think of anything else, let alone anything better, that you could have done.

You did fine.

That would have put anyone with a pulse into a heightened state of awareness.

No problems

Taken many a date up there when I lived in Penn Hills, so I know what you were doing there after midnight. You reacted correctly. That's what condition orange is for. I'd have done the same. Welcome to C.C.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links