Active shooter alert app for LEOs

This is a discussion on Active shooter alert app for LEOs within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Dave Grossman recommends this app for iPhone and android. It sends an alert to current and retired LEOs in a vicinity around a school if ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By YankeeDefense
  • 1 Post By vice87
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By joker1

Thread: Active shooter alert app for LEOs

Dave Grossman recommends this app for iPhone and android. It sends an alert to current and retired LEOs in a vicinity around a school if there's an active shooter reported. It's called HeroNetwork.

Hero911? Network

There's a companion app for school teachers called school guard.

I've downloaded it and am checking with people to ask if they are aware of it.
    Last edited by 9mm Lassiter; June 6th, 2014 at 05:40 AM.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Could be useful, but I fear all this thing will do is turn an already huge cluster into an even bigger cluster. Where are they getting their information from the news? By the time the news gets it the incident is over and the need for an overwhelming response is gone.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

holy crap.

74 school shootings since sandy hook, two years ago??

where the hell have I been....
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    It's December 1941 in Casablanca, what time is it in New York?

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I rely on the sound of gunfire rather than a smart phone to alert me. If I don't hear it, it's not a concern.
    Kutz and Norm66 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array CR Williams's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vice87 View Post
    holy crap.

74 school shootings since sandy hook, two years ago??

where the hell have I been....
    CNN of all places analyzed that Brady Bunch statement and determined that it was inaccurate to the tune of only 15 actual school shootings. Brady included shootings on school grounds, during events at the school and not during the school day, and some shootings (as I recall) that didn't involve students and were just close to the school or on the property outside.
    "Oh, bother," said Pooh as he rocked another mag into the 556R...

www.inshadowinlight.com

http://inshadowinlight.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by CR Williams View Post
    CNN of all places analyzed that Brady Bunch statement and determined that it was inaccurate to the tune of only 15 actual school shootings. Brady included shootings on school grounds, during events at the school and not during the school day, and some shootings (as I recall) that didn't involve students and were just close to the school or on the property outside.
    CNN calling B/S on the Brady Bunch, did it just get colder down below?
    WrongRecroom likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Burrrrr...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeDefense View Post
    Could be useful, but I fear all this thing will do is turn an already huge cluster into an even bigger cluster. Where are they getting their information from the news? By the time the news gets it the incident is over and the need for an overwhelming response is gone.
    To my knowledge, the news agencies aren't what alert the app network but rather teachers. Not sure how it would be worse just because off duty LEOs know at the same time as on duty.

The problem is, this architecture has a decent chance of working (if executed) in a metro area where large populations are condensed into small geographies. But statistically these shootings happen in smaller suburbs or small town America.
    On duty: Glock 21 SF (.45) w/ Safariland Cobra Tactical holster & Remington Hallow-points
    CCW: Glock 19 Gen 3 (9mm) w/ Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster
    Magtech Hollow-points

Well I signed up, waiting for approval. Just a heads up is a good thing.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

“Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.”
    - H. G. Wells -

First off, the 74 number has been discredited, even by CNN! (A closer look: How many school shootings since Newtown? - CNN.com "CNN determined that 15 of the incidents Everytown included were situations similar to the violence in Newtown or Oregon..."). As far as the app, I think Hero911 is just trying to capitalize on false information.

A better solution is one that's offered by this company:

Security Systems | Schools | Courts | Hospitals | SercureTech Systems

The WAVE is the fastest and most effective way to call for help in an emergency. Here are some applications:

- Active shooters
    - Courthouse violence
    - School/College/campus violence
    - Workplace violence
    - Isolated workers who need to be able to call for help from a remote location
    - Notification over a radio when a door is opened or motion is detected in an unmonitored part of a building/campus

The WAVE can be like having an officer with a radio stationed at the location the emergency/incident starts. A locations specific call for help is transmitted directly over all radios so that officers throughout the area can respond immediately. Patrol cars as well as officers on the beat are notified at the same time as dispatch eliminating one step in the dispatch process and speeding up response times.

Fixed position or mobile panic buttons can be provided in classrooms, playgrounds, laboratories, libraries, cafeterias, health services, bursars' offices or anywhere else on a campus. Security personnel are automatically notified of the location of the emergency over the two-way radios that they already carry. This can improve response times dramatically at a time when seconds count.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Sponsored Links