Have to give the wife some props.

This is a discussion on Have to give the wife some props. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I dont put up scenarios etc normally but the wife made me very proud of her about a week ago so here goes. Brief as ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree154Likes

Thread: Have to give the wife some props.

Thumbs up Have to give the wife some props.

I dont put up scenarios etc normally but the wife made me very proud of her about a week ago so here goes.

Brief as possible> Getting gas at a local convenience store around 2pm. Give wife money to pay for it and get pump turned on plus she wanted a drink.

Pump comes on I start pumping and notice a guy come out and go the car sitting directly on the other side of the same pump and that his arms and face are bleeding as if he has some sort of sores. Young guy sort of weird looking but he goes to the other side of the pump I hear the beeps as he starts it but cant see him. My antenna is mildly up but no biggie.

I then see the wife come out with no drink that she had said she wanted. She comes directly to me, makes as if she is handing me something and whispers "Watch that guy hes got a gun too." nodding toward the same guy I had noticed.

She then goes on past me behind the truck to the passenger side and positions herself so that engine and front wheels are between her and the bleeding guy. She is acting like shes messing with the radio antennae but I can see she is only using one hand and watching the bleeding dude that I cant now see on the other side of the pumps. Hes hung up his pump which I did hear but hes not leaving.

He peeps around the pump at me then moves back and is still there when I got in the truck the wife jumping in and we pulled out. I noticed as his back was then turned the handle of a revolver sticking out of his hip pocket.

The wife then filled me in. While she was inside the guy was in line in front of her. He was tweeking, incoherent, tearing off bits of skin from his arms and face and eating them. He had continually in line checked out everyone in sight, reached back and took hold of the gun three times as he came up to the cashier but didnt draw it, looked around again muttered gas and dug two dollars in change out of his pocket, stood for a minute more looking around then went back out.

She had moved off to his side and back from him in line and was going to stay in the store until she saw him come straight to his car parked next to me. So she came out to warn me.

IMO she handled things perfectly. Didnt give him any reason to notice her more than anyone else, warned me without him knowing, and most important though I hadnt taught her how to cover anyone moved behind bullet stopping cover, with a clear field of fire, watched him while I could not see him while not appearing too and basically covered my backside.

Only down fall was I got on her a bit about coming out and not staying safe in the store as I always told her to stay clear and get safe of any situation and NOT to cover me or help me.

I was then in no uncertain terms informed by her. " Look you old coot. We have been together through everything on earth for over 25 yrs. Im not leaving you to the wolves regardless so forget that. I carry too ya know. Im not as fast as you but I shoot almost as good as you. You can either show me how to work as a team with you so we both have a better chance or Ill wing it. But if you go down I go down with you and you might as well get used to that"

Turned out to be a non event but it had her bells ringing from the way he acted and took hold of his gun three times as he reached the counter as if undecided if to draw or not. So she simply became reactive and watchful.

So now reckon I start training her to work as a team with me. Stubborn old woman
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

2. Remove Ads

Excellent story. Sounds as though she handled everything to a tee. Awesome that she automatically took cover but still left herself a clear line of fire. Id be very proud.

VIP Member
    Nothing like team work , you both have the same interest each other . Kudos
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Thumbs up. :)
    Ghost1958 likes this.

VIP Member
    When the God of the Brides shined down on you, you chose wisely.

That story made me throw up in my mouth.
    I am glad I use a debit card for gas at the pump.
    I can only imagine what diseases are on the money he handles.
    I may have been getting his plate # to call the authorities, with all his outward signs of being a meth head.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Distinguished Member
    Good job by your wife.

Sounds like you had a meth head who was contemplating robbing the store.

Wonder how many people in line were completely clueless?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Buy that lady a new firearm, tell her she is awesome and never forget who your "wing-man" is.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Good awareness. Good tactics, so long as (a) some of the family was unaware/unwarned, and (b) the sketchy character was still around.

Definitely, with the affected behaviors and the threatening gesturing with the gun, that was a dangerous situation.

Kudos to the missus. She's got your "wing," over there.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    " He was tweeking, incoherent, tearing off bits of skin from his arms and face and eating them."

Yes, we need to legalize drugs...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Sounds like a Zombie to me .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Good SA on both counts. I may have noted the car's make and plate, and called that one in.
    BenGoodLuck, Aceoky and Ghost1958 like this.

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Call me a wimp, but I teared up a little.

VIP Member
    Good job, your wife is paying attention to her surroundings, and nothing spells romance, like the wife covering the spouse behind the engine block !

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Give wife money to pay for it
    Yep, I'm very familiar with that scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    He was tweeking, incoherent, tearing off bits of skin from his arms and face and eating them
    He's essentially eating his own face !

This whole thing is rooted in the U.S. drug problem that isn't being well addressed. It's a financial burden on resources and an undermining of our culture. Frightening !
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    I think she did more than all right. In the store is ok if that is what you agreed on but outside watching your six is far be3tter in my opinion. She can also give testimony to how the shooting went down if need be.

Seems like a training exercise I am going to pass on to my wife who also has a CCW.

Thanks for sharing.

Bill

She did an outstanding job of observing and informing you. You are lucky though, if I had said something to my wife about not coming out of the store she'd probably have punched me.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links