Nearly Had To Draw

This is a discussion on Nearly Had To Draw within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I pulled into the parking lot at a local fast food place this morning. In front of me was a guy in a truck that ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree322Likes

Thread: Nearly Had To Draw

Nearly Had To Draw

I pulled into the parking lot at a local fast food place this morning. In front of me was a guy in a truck that he was handling in an erratic manner. He pulled in and kept breaking while swerving. He then threw the truck in reverse and came straight at me. He turned the wheel hard and backed into a spot. He barely missed the front of my car and I could see him screaming and pointing at me through the side window. I went through the drive through and got my order. They asked me to pull over and wait for the coffees I had ordered. I pulled into the designated space and parked. As I sat there I pulled out my cellphone and placed it on the armrest because I was waiting on a call. I also had the windows down but the doors were locked.

While I was sitting there I noticed the guy from the truck was standing beside his truck while he ate his breakfast. When he finished he started asking random people for cigarettes. Then he started in my direction. He walked past and approached a single lady walking with her small child. I heard him raise his voice as they talked. So, I decided to grab my phone and call 9-1-1. He was becoming increasingly aggressive with each denial and I was afraid it would escalate. As I was unlocking my phone and dialing he approached my car. As the operator answered I looked over to notice he was at my passenger side window. The first words the operator heard me say were, "Sir, back away from my car." From there it went down hill.

"F#$% you man. I ain't goin' to scratch your car. I just wondered if you got a cigarette."
    "I don't smoke and you need to back up."
    "Man I seen you blowin' smoke when you pulled in."

At this point he was inches from my car and I heard the door handle being pulled.

"Sir, do not attempt to enter my car."
    "Give me a cigarette."

I pulled the hem of my shirt up and dropped it behind the grip of my Glock 26. He started to stick his head in the window and saw that I was reaching for something.

"All I want is a cigarette. I know you smoke! Give me a cigarette!"
    "Sir! If you continue to enter my vehicle I will shoot you!

At this point my hand was on the grip of my Glock and he realized the situation was getting serious. He jumped back and put his hands up.

"Stay right there. I am on the phone with 9-1-1 and the police are on their way to __________." I made sure to shout the location for the operator's benefit.

He stood right there until the police arrived. They took him into custody and then asked for my version of the story. He denied grabbing my door handle. However, the employee with my coffee saw the incident and called it in. So, they had two witnesses telling them he tried to enter the car. The officers arrested him for panhandling without a license, disorderly conduct, attempted B&E of a motor vehicle, and attempted robbery.

It probably would have went better if the windows had been up. I guess the lesson to learn is keep your windows up when stationary and always be vigilant. The 5 seconds it takes to unlock your phone and call for help may be too long.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

2. Remove Ads

Couple of things jump out at me. First, the guy who was driving erratically could have certainly been on something. The other possibility is that he stole the car. One of the things that a cop friend told me a while back was how to spot a criminal in a stolen car is to look for someone who is not familiar with the car they are driving. That means hitting the brakes a zillion times because they aren't used to them. Or turning on the windshield wipers when they meant to turn on a turn signal.

I also agree that you certainly could have had your windows up to give you a little more protection but the main thing is I probably would have left without the coffee if I really thought there was someone nearby who was a threat. I definitely would have been gone once he tried to open the door.

But glad you called the cops and it worked out.

wow, sounds like you did everything perfectly. Great Job!
    Patterson911 and bigpapa like this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet. – Gen James Mattis USMC

Distinguished Member
    Happy it all worked out and happy you were carrying! Other than the windows, I don't see how you could have done much differently. Way to keep your SA up!

Quote Originally Posted by GatorGuy407 View Post
    Couple of things jump out at me. First, the guy who was driving erratically could have certainly been on something. The other possibility is that he stole the car. One of the things that a cop friend told me a while back was how to spot a criminal in a stolen car is to look for someone who is not familiar with the car they are driving. That means hitting the brakes a zillion times because they aren't used to them. Or turning on the windshield wipers when they meant to turn on a turn signal.

I also agree that you certainly could have had your windows up to give you a little more protection but the main thing is I probably would have left without the coffee if I really thought there was someone nearby who was a threat. I definitely would have been gone once he tried to open the door.

But glad you called the cops and it worked out.
    I had the car turned off and unfortunately it never crossed my mind to turn it back on. Plus the line for the drive through was long enough that it made getting out of the spot hard. Even after the incident, when I was leaving, I had to do a three point turn to get out of there. So, a hasty retreat was not an option. For that very reason, it isn't a place I will go again in the morning.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

Glad it worked out like it did. I'd say you were very nice about it and handled it very well for the circumstances. He should feel fortunate, it could have easily been your glock that had a smoke

VIP Member
    Nicotine addiction can make people do irrational things, to be sure. Glad I quit.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

For a situation that could have easily turned quite bad, you did well.
    mano3 likes this.

Well done.

Thanks for sharing your story.
    Could you elaborate on the conversation between you and the police concerning your gun? I'm assuming he must have told them you had one, or perhaps you told them when they got there. I'm surprised he just stood there without you drawing it.
    Badey likes this.

You could have lived every boys dream of being the good guy in an action flick and shouted back a cheesy like to the effect of "If you don't back up, the only thing having a smoke will be my Glock" or "Cigarettes kill! But not as fast as my Glock if you don't back up off my car!"

Distinguished Member Array BadgerJ's Avatar
    I can't understand everyone saying 'good job'. It was another instance of SA fail. For the want of a couple cups of coffee, the OP risked a potentially very bad situation. For what? A dollar's worth of Java? Why not drive away, come back and present your receipt, talk to the manager, go to a different shop in the meantime? Guy could have drawn on you seeing your gun if he had one himself. It's foolhardy. The OP says 'I won't go back there'. Not a big help if he'd have been harmed.

People cling to their petty plans and can't break off and change the plan. It's a wake up call OP, learn HOW to break off and leave these kind of situations in the future.
    GentlemanJim, SIGP250 and nechaev like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post
    I can't understand everyone saying 'good job'. It was another instance of SA fail. For the want of a couple cups of coffee, the OP risked a potentially very bad situation. For what? A dollar's worth of Java? Why not drive away, come back and present your receipt, talk to the manager, go to a different shop in the meantime? Guy could have drawn on you seeing your gun if he had one himself. It's foolhardy. The OP says 'I won't go back there'. Not a big help if he'd have been harmed.

People cling to their petty plans and can't break off and change the plan. It's a wake up call OP, learn HOW to break off and leave these kind of situations in the future.
    Did you completely miss the part where he said his vehicle was turned off and that it was very tight and he would have had to do a 3 point turn, let alone navigate the dude harassing him and other moving vehicles. I don't mean to be a dick but you missed the most key points made of this thread.

Good Job OP.
    AmmoHunters: Facebook | Website (Coming Soon)
    DVSC Range
    FogDoc

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerJ View Post

For the demand of a cigarette (ostensibly), someone tried to break into the vehicle of a law-abiding citizen who was minding his own business, nearly forfeiting his life in the process. How is that for foolhardy?
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    Thanks for sharing your story.
    Could you elaborate on the conversation between you and the police concerning your gun? I'm assuming he must have told them you had one, or perhaps you told them when they got there. I'm surprised he just stood there without you drawing it.
    The officer stood at a distance behind me on the passenger side and called out.

"Driver do you have a weapon?"
    "I am a concealed carry permit holder and my Glock 26 is on my right hip."
    "Keep your hands on the steering wheel."

The other officer came around to the driver side and ordered me from the car. He asked me to turn and place my hands on the car. The officer on my side approached and removed the gun. He unloaded it and put it in the cruiser. He returned and asked if I had my permit on me. I told him it was in my wallet and which pocket it was in.

"My permit is in my wallet, in my rear left pocket."

He removed the wallet and then put it on top of the car. He asked me to remove my license and permit. I handed it to him and he looked it over. Then he put it under my wallet and asked me to have a seat on the curb. When everything was over he placed my gun back on my passenger seat and asked me to remain outside of the car until he and the other officer started to leave.

There were five officers there. So, there was always one to keep an eye on me while the others took witness statements and processed everything.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links