Would you provide first aid to someone you shot?

This is a discussion on Would you provide first aid to someone you shot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So I read quite a few articles that says along with firearms training you should have some medical training and a small first aid kit ...

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree202Likes

Thread: Would you provide first aid to someone you shot?

So I read quite a few articles that says along with firearms training you should have some medical training and a small first aid kit as you are far more likely to save someone with those skills than your gun. So in searching for an EDC "kit" I thought of something.

If you had a small medical kit, would you or should you try and save someone you have shot in self defense? This assumes he is no longer armed and not a threat (not conscious, severely bleeding, etc). I wonder if it would hurt you in court?

Anyone ever ponder this?
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

I wouldn't

for a lot of reasons

Edit: I'll add I really don't plan to be in that situation as I will be shooting a lot if I ever have to. None of that, Shoot once and survey the shot and effectiveness nonesense.
    CLASS3NH, Patterson911 and hbc like this.

VIP Member
    I can't say for sure but I doubt it. I would be busy getting my family secure and contacting authorities.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

It all depends. The first thing you do in any First Aid role (or any situation for that matter) is to make sure that the scene is safe and that your actions will bring no danger to yourself. If I determine it is safe I most likely will. Of course there are edifferenr situations...shooter killed a family member and you shot back wounding the perp. I highly doubt I would be inclined to render aid.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by smolck View Post
    So I read quite a few articles that says along with firearms training you should have some medical training and a small first aid kit as you are far more likely to save someone with those skills than your gun. So in searching for an EDC "kit" I thought of something.

If you had a small medical kit, would you or should you try and save someone you have shot in self defense? This assumes he is no longer armed and not a threat (not conscious, severely bleeding, etc). I wonder if it would hurt you in court?

Anyone ever ponder this?
    Do you have the means to create a sterile environment?

Does the injured person have AIDS, or some other communicable condition? How do you know?

If there's blood around, you are so much better off staying away.

You are at a lot of risk treating a gunshot victim, as you are going to be exposed to whatever that person has. Leave it to the professionals.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by high pockets View Post
    Do you have the means to create a sterile environment?

Does the injured person have AIDS, or some other communicable condition? How do you know?

If there's blood around, you are so much better off staying away.

You are at a lot of risk treating a gunshot victim, as you are going to be exposed to whatever that person has. Leave it to the professionals.
    Gunshot victim aside, it sounds like you would not render aid to any stranger you see that needs it if there is any blood around. Folks learn First Aid and CPR so the person (GG) can stay alive till the professionals get there. Of ocurse, Rule 1 applies...if you do not feel safe then don't do anyhting.

My wife and I have complete med bags and have, and will in the future stop for emergencies. My wife helped a lady give brith on the side of the road years ago....talk about lots of blood!
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array Dan060's Avatar
    Personally if i had to shoot someone to defend myself i would grow wings and fly before i would help them..God forbid if i shot them in the house,i would be more concerned about their blood being on my floor not them.. In the house out of the house where doesn't matter.
    Wunderneun and Wolf357 like this.

I highly doubt that I would render first aid.

I guess I should have clarified. I am not talking about a home intruder. My scenario is me, alone, defending just myself to a single assailant who is now down from a couple rounds to center mass. Maybe a gas station parking lot, maybe a wal mart parking lot, I don't know. Point being, the only threat is down and witnesses are there and have called 911. I could see me rendering first aid (compression, gauze, whatever).

I wanted the bad guy to stop doing what he was doing, I do not wish a death on anyone (save for child molesters and rapist).
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

Maybe, but they're last on my priorities list if they're on it at all.

No need for First Aid..............I'll be too busy on the phone, and protecting myself and family.......... and I'm not getting my hands dirty......Besides that, I'm betting they won't be breathing.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

No. The last person I would give first aid to is someone who could testify against me in court.

Distinguished Member Array CWOUSCG's Avatar
    I think if I shoot someone I would prefer if they were unable to speak with a cop or an attorney.

PA and I had the same idea at the same time! LOL
    Last edited by CWOUSCG; June 16th, 2014 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Added comment
    CLASS3NH and Patterson911 like this.

"If someone gets into your house which would you rather have, a handgun or a phone? You can call the police if you want, and they’ll get there; and they’ll take a picture of your dead body."

Unless it was an outright mistake having nothing to do with an assailant, then no I wouldn't.

It's a simple question of safety and security. The person's still alive, then that person's still technically capable of carrying out the deadly attack. I'm no medical professional, and I'll have called the cavalry. If he's capable of not expiring before getting proper medical care involving vascular surgery, 9mm+ holes through his aorta or whatever else, more power to him. But disarming so that I can use both hands to assist someone who just moments earlier was trying to erase my life ... er, that just seems like asking for trouble where no such asking need be done.

I'll let the pro's do what they can, if they arrive in time.

If, however, it's someone in dire need who wasn't an assailant (ie, at a range, an ND strike), then pulling out all the stops is what I'll do ... so far as that goes, with my minimal first-aid skills.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Gunshot victim aside, it sounds like you would not render aid to any stranger you see that needs it if there is any blood around. Folks learn First Aid and CPR so the person (GG) can stay alive till the professionals get there. Of ocurse, Rule 1 applies...if you do not feel safe then don't do anyhting.

My wife and I have complete med bags and have, and will in the future stop for emergencies. My wife helped a lady give brith on the side of the road years ago....talk about lots of blood!
    Sir, I object to your implication that I am some uncaring, self-centered ********.

The OP stated his scenario involved having shot someone who attacked him. Your comment about "gunshot victim aside" has absolutely no bearing on this discussion.
    Navydude and atctimmy like this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links