Strange walk home tonight

This is a discussion on Strange walk home tonight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, this isn't actually a CCW scenario for reasons I will go into below, if it needs moved, mods feel free. I tend to be ...

Well, this isn't actually a CCW scenario for reasons I will go into below, if it needs moved, mods feel free.

I tend to be a bit of a night owl because of my job working at bars and late night studying, and while in college I have developed a habit of going to the gym late at night (after 11 or so), because it tends to be less crowded, and I just prefer it. The gym is on campus (so carry of weapons there is prohibited) and is about 3/4 of a mile or mile from my house, good for a warm up run or cool down walk.

Anyway, I was walking home and about 3 blocks from my house when all the sudden I heard yelled in a slurred voice "Hey can I bum a cigarette?" Voice sounded drunk, and I don't smoke, so I decided that the best course of action was to keep walking towards my house. At this point the guy who is about 50 yards away (hiding in the shadows between two houses, and not immediately obvious) starts walking towards me and asking if I am "deaf and dumb." Obviously he didn't see me turn to identify him as soon as he yelled his origional query. At this point the contents in my pockets are, housekeys, my flashlight, cell phone, and wallet. So I put my flashlight in my strong side hand, and continued to walk.

He followed me for about two blocks, screaming all sorts of derogatory comments. I wound up traveling about 6 blocks, because as soon as I could tell he was following me, I hurried up some and decided not to go directly home. I had just finished 30 minutes on a treadmill, so all out running was out, but at the speed I was going he was pretty much just keeping up at about 45-50 yards, not gaining. And then I kept walking some to make sure that my 6 was clear before coming home.

Now I am not a small boy by any means at 5'11 and 235 with about 19-20% body fat, and I make extra cash here as a bouncer and have some martial arts skills, so I can hold my own. But having a brawl with a drunk at 1 in the morning when its cold out ain't my idea of fun.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm kinda amped up right now. Yeah I know, don't go out at night. But aside from that, any other critiques on my actions? I didn't think it was worth callin the cops over. Assuming that y'all couldn't of been armed (I know a strech of the imagination here, but I was on campus and the law is the law.) would of you handled it any differently?
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I might have been tempted to have a bit of fun with him, I hate drunks.

But, you got home safe, so I guess you did just fine.

me

Angry Naked Feeling

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    The gym is on campus (so carry of weapons there is prohibited)
    This is the one thing I hated most about returning to school this past weekend. Atleast you are permitted to live off campus my college does not allow it so my CCW is not even available to me even though this state recognizes my permit. I have felt so naked since returning to school and not being able to defend myself, what do they expect us to do in a situation that requires protecting ourself . Not to mention they removed both of my hobbies from me when i am here, shooting and fighting fire .

I see the point of not being able to have a gun on campus in the minds of the administration, but it still annoys me.

We had a movement last year on campus that something like 25% of the students supported trying to get the state legislature to allow CCW on campus. Living off campus is great, but I only bring a few firearms with me to school, the rest stay at the parents house due to high burglary rates around the campus (as well as fairly high rates for other types of crime). I do feel pretty naked all day in class and at work without a couple of pounds of metal on my hip, but its on as much as possible otherwise. The expect that the police will protect us in a dangerous situation at best, or pretend that they can't happen at worst. I'm not even sure what the law says about having a pocket knife on campus, when we were in the dorms it had to be under a 3" blade, but it is not uncommon at all to see a folder clipped to someones pocket in class.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Done good. The wisest thing you did is not go straight home so as to ID your house. You had size, skills and sobriety as the advantages so escape and avoid without seeking refuge kept from you getting possible drunken retaliation on your home.

my State's CCW regs, while very liberal with very few restrictions, doesn't permit carry on school grounds, public or private, so school policy is moot. Unfortunately, I see no possible change in that. The only other restrictions are courthouses and under the influence.

Avoid - the best policy.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Sound like you did every right to me. You kept distance and you had a plan. I guess the only other thing you could have done was use your cell phone and called the police.

One of the thing that I did was set my cell phone to speed dial to our local police dispatch non-emergency number. I have used it several times to report drunk drivers. It works great.

Brian

Lead Moderator
    sounds like you did fine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You could have confronted the drunk but you made a wise choice to ignore him. It was a wise choice not to go straight home. you probley should have called the police. His next student might be a female.
    Last edited by Tom G; January 10th, 2007 at 08:12 AM. Reason: typo

buckeye07:

This is exactly why the laws are so silly, giving the mere impression of security yet leaving such folks in such circumstances out in the cold, literally.

Good on ya, for getting home okay. It could easily have gone sideways; had he been armed, it could easily have gone badly indeed.

Question: Since your college denies you the ability to defend yourself, what concrete steps have they taken for the responsibility they've assumed for defending you personally? (None, of course.)
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think the best course of action was not to go to Ohio State in the first place!

Just kidding...ya done good.

It sounds like you handled it pretty well. "Deaf and dumb" worked out OK in this case, but another option would have been to reply with something along the lines of, "Sorry, I don't smoke," or "Sorry, I can't help you," to try to put him off.

Since you can't carry on campus, you might consider some other form of weapon (blade, baton, or OC depending on what university rules allow).

Some personal OC spray woulda helped.

I find just saying "nope got none on me", is a pretty good way to start out.

Just ignoring someone isn't the wisest choice to me. I think if you said "no" he would have left you alone.

Can't you carry a pocket knife on campus? I wouldn't be walking around at night with no weapon at all, especially with all the crimes we hear about lately on campuses across the country. I would have probably headed straight for my house where I had a way to protect myself. You can run around the block three times and they guy could shoot you in the back because you didn't want him to know where you live, not me, my first choice is to get to my gun. Glad it was only a drunk and nothing more serious.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Links