What about this...paintball driveby shootings - Page 2

What about this...paintball driveby shootings

This is a discussion on What about this...paintball driveby shootings within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by oobray ... felt myself being hit I would definately want to return fire. The instant you realize it's not a deadly, life-threatening ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What about this...paintball driveby shootings

Quote Originally Posted by oobray View Post
    ... felt myself being hit I would definately want to return fire.
    The instant you realize it's not a deadly, life-threatening attack, dislike it to the degree you want, but you're not justified in responding with deadly force.

Or what if you saw these boys stick the gun out the window and were able to react ahead of time?
    Then, I'd possibly get out of the lane of fire. If I shot someone for a presumedly-deadly attack that ended up not being so? It would depend wholly on the DA / Grand Jury as to whether that would be seen as justifiable given what I knew at the time ... or attempted murder on my part.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Back in the Peoples Republic of Maryland only option would have been to call 9-1-1. In Texas that ( I believe) would be considered "criminal mischief at night time" under which deadly force is a legal response!
    Bingo. A deputy confirmed this one for me, (marking another's property without permission is criminal mischief - marking the person would be assault) and added that most paintball guns, in the dark, look a lot like a riot shotgun.

Considering they're committing the mischief with a ranged weapon, and almost always as a drive-by, it would be hard to prevent or stop it with anything less than a ranged weapon. While your own paintball gun full of OC paintballs would be pretty much ideal in this situation, (assuming you recognise their weapon as a paintball gun) I don't know of anyone who carries one around with them.

If I were on a jury I could not convict the victim who was shot by a paint ball gun for shooting back with a real gun.

I would probably shoot back. The thing that most people aren't remembering is that glass marbles fit in paintball guns and can easily punch a hole through glass.

Who's to say that they aren't shooting marbles some night instead of paint? Either way, regardless the ammo, I doubt I'd be in calm enough of a mindset to try to figure out the type of gun they were using. Pop, pain, red splatter, you do the math.

Senior Moderator
    Other than thinking that SixBravo's avatar is the best in the world. I think he's right.

Kids who start playing with "toy" guns shouldn't be surprised when they get met with real ones in return.

A lot of these newer air soft and other "toy" guns are made to look just like the real thing and even when they have a requirement to have an orange tip, so many punk kids spray paint that so that one can no longer tell.

There's a kid I know who carries an air soft dart gun in the front of his pants like he's some hot gangster. I've warned him to be careful because if he gets pulled over or is in the wrong situation someone just may think he's carrying a real gun.

His response was, "That's the point."

Well, it's the point until their little plastic darts and paint-balls are returned by .45 hollow points.

If I saw someone draw a weapon on me I can't wait to analyze it and see if it is real or not, I'm going to try to beat him to that draw and shoot him before he shoots me.

I know there are a couple of police cases where kids have been shot by officers because they wielded a toy gun and no one knew.

In my mind, it's justifiable. They presented that they had a weapon and the will to use it. You have every right to defend yourself from that kind of a threat.
    Last edited by limatunes; April 5th, 2007 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    The instant you realize it's not a deadly, life-threatening attack, dislike it to the degree you want, but you're not justified in responding with deadly force.
    Given that many folks I've worked only realized they had been hit (being in the act of shooting, themselves, at the time ) quite some time after thefact, its a very subjective argument. I doubt very much you would "know". One paintballer I actually know said paint balls hurt worse than the .357 he got in the leg, at the time he was shot.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Haha Thank you, Lima. Not really gun-related buuuut....

I've heard a lot lately about airsoft guns. Some of these things look like the real deal. I saw some pictures of one guy's rifle... It was the spitting image of my Bushmaster XM-15E2. He had painted it and knicked it properly so it looked like a well-used battle rifle.. not to mention is huge mag pouches, (Airsoft) Beretta 92 in his theigh holster...

I even recall seeing one website that gives advice on how to deal with armed citizens and Police/SWAT when they show up. THAT boiled my blood... The fact that they knowingly do this where people would be worred enough to call the police... IMHO, if someone wants to go play chicken with death.... Theyre the one playing with it. No sympathy. Guns ain't F'ing toys unless theyre clear plastic and molded orange. Once the look real, the gloves come off.

Don't get me wrong... It looks like a lot of fun. But only if youre in an area built specifically for this. Hell, I still love playing paintball. I don't shoot my neighbors or strangers, though.

Be careful everyone... These guys have been known to run around neighborhoods.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Clinton has a cure for people missusing paint ball guns... ban all paint ball guns.

i believe he had a similar idea about assault rifles.(or maybe evil puppetmaster hilary did)
    Anyway, I paintball all the time (today in fact) and belong to pbnation.com(a forum)
    This tape has been a huge outrage for honest paintball players everywhere. The were shooting apg automags that by todays standard are slowwwww.(only 8 balls per second) Some of the newer markers shoot over 20 bps at over 300 feet fps. One ball to the eye and it is destroyed. period. At any field, if you don't have a barrel plug on in the staging area or a mask on in the field, a ref WILL dive on top of you and sheild your eyes.
    Just like with guns, its the moronicly rotton apples that spoil things for the rest of us.
    Shoot and play safe.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4j1rqAe7k
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

as an avid paintballer myself now and carrying I can honestly say that when I was 16 I was involved in a drive by paintballing incident. While I knew what it was that hit me, (been playing since I was 12) I still hit the deck.

Turned out some kids at my high school thought it would be funny to shoot people as they were walking around in our neighborhood. (4,000 homes). Police stepped in and the school expelled the kids. It was a scary sight though. All I saw were tinted windows and a barrel stick through, hear multiple pops and they hit me in the hand once and that was it. They had reg cranked all the way, it broke skin and was definitly doing way over 300fps.

To add, if someone did fire at me I probably would draw. With that video its pitch dark out and you have no idea what is coming at you. Yes its not as loud as an actual gun going off. But when you hear the first pop walking on the street, you don't assume its a paintball gun, you fear the worst.

Welcome to the forum Scheetz.

When I was in high-school my girlfriend worked at a movie theater. I stopped by to visit her one night and during this time 3 teenagers drove by and sprayed the crowd outside the Box Office with a paintball gun. They hit one guy's 5 year old daughter and he was not very happy about it at all. Someone else happened to pull in front of their car blocking their escape and this gentleman (who was about 5'10" 270 pounds of pure muscle) stormed up to the car and pulled the passenger right out of his window. He threw the kid on the ground then demanded the paintball gun from the driver. I've never seen a group of more terrified teens in my life. He broke the barrel clean off of the paintball gun shearing it off at the threads(it was one of the more expensive models that ran for about $600 at that time) He then slammed the gun down on the ground hard enough that the body of it exploded into about 300 different pieces. Paint was everywhere. He grabbed the (now crying) passenger up off the ground and told him in a very firm Australian accent "Next time you try that @#! it won't just be your gun...It'll be your #@#!#@! knees"

I don't remember much after that, but I do remember the entire theater crowd clapping for him and a few people pelting the teen's car with rocks.

In retrospect this guy acted irrationally and illegally but it was just what these little brats deserved.

- Ryan
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

me
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I've heard a lot lately about airsoft guns. Some of these things look like the real deal. I saw some pictures of one guy's rifle... It was the spitting image of my Bushmaster XM-15E2. He had painted it and knicked it properly so it looked like a well-used battle rifle.. not to mention is huge mag pouches, (Airsoft) Beretta 92 in his theigh holster...

I even recall seeing one website that gives advice on how to deal with armed citizens and Police/SWAT when they show up. THAT boiled my blood... The fact that they knowingly do this where people would be worred enough to call the police... IMHO, if someone wants to go play chicken with death.... Theyre the one playing with it. No sympathy. Guns ain't F'ing toys unless theyre clear plastic and molded orange. Once the look real, the gloves come off.

Don't get me wrong... It looks like a lot of fun. But only if youre in an area built specifically for this. Hell, I still love playing paintball. I don't shoot my neighbors or strangers, though.

Be careful everyone... These guys have been known to run around neighborhoods.
    My friends and I have gone after each other with airsoft guns for 3 or 4 years now off and on while we live in college dorms. One of my roommates commented to me if he painted his muzzle black on his P22 replica airsoft gun what would I do. I told him flat out not to do it and that if it was ever pointed at me like that while I had a gun it would be pointed at him. He decided nt to paint the muzzle .
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

A paint-ball drive-by is really stupid. Many 'victims' would have been 1/2 way through the second magazine before they realized it was non-lethal attack.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

A car drives by and a person infront of me grunts and falls and then something whaps past my head or tugs on my arm or even hits me and my eyes lock onto the moving vehicle from which a firearm appears to be pointed ( there is the minor fact that a paintball gun can sound somewhat like a suppressed firearm) is going to trigger a response from me.

Based on what my eyes are seeing and experienced up to that moment, I can only come to the determination that I am in a situation where I am under fire, then as a reasonable person I can only conclude that I am in imminent fear for my life and then I can use such force as deemed necessary to preserve that life.

Which potentially means drawing and engaging, by getting off the X and moving as I fire, while trying to attain cover, doing my best to eliminate or disrupt the immediate threat.

Now before someone says retreat or go to ground behind a parked car or something, sometimes there is no cover or a place to go to, there is you a whole lot of concrete and the perceived imminent threat.You don't have time, to send an exploratory committee out to determine if it is a real gun in this situation or that you are just an innocent bystander and not their intended target, hesitation can and will get you seriously injured or killed, and you have very little time to choose a course of action.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links