What would you do? ATM scenario

This is a discussion on What would you do? ATM scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I work nights, and maintain my sleep schedule on my days off, so sometimes I have to use an ATM at night to make deposits. ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What would you do? ATM scenario

I work nights, and maintain my sleep schedule on my days off, so sometimes I have to use an ATM at night to make deposits. The only ATM's that my bank has anywhere near my home are of the drive-up variety. Knowing the danger, I prepare my deposit before leaving home, and am at high Orange and scanning the area as soon as I pull into the bank parking lot. As I near the machine, my gun is on my lap and my ATM card/deposit envelope are on the seat beside me. As soon as I am positioned at the ATM, my weapon goes into my strong hand (still inside my vehicle), and I perform the transaction with my weak hand, all the while scanning the area as I wait for the ATM to process the transaction. This doesn't exactly fit the hypothetical scenario in the original post, but this is how I try to avoid finding myself in that kind of a situation. If I were to find myself staring down the barrel of a BG's gun, I would feign compliance as necessary until I was either 1) Able to draw and eliminate the threat, 2) Watching the BG retreat with my money, or 3) Dead.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array MilitaryPower's Avatar
    I have a brilliant idea! Carry another identical ATM card in your hand, but it is an old one that is deactivated or is preferably too scratched up to work. Tell the mugger to take it and give him the pin. If he wants you to take the money out yourself, the card won't read, and you can forget about the pin. For example: "This card doesn't work most of the time, I need to get a new one". Take action from there if neccessary, but think about it: is a small amount of money is worth your life or all the hassle it is to shoot somebody?

Or you could break the card in half and give it to him.
    Gun control can be blamed in part for allowing 9/11 to happen.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum" (Latin)- "If you want peace, prepare for war".

Quote Originally Posted by MilitaryPower View Post
    I have a brilliant idea! Carry another identical ATM card in your hand, but it is an old one that is deactivated or is preferably too scratched up to work. Tell the mugger to take it and give him the pin. If he wants you to take the money out yourself, the card won't read, and you can forget about the pin. For example: "This card doesn't work most of the time, I need to get a new one". Take action from there if neccessary, but think about it: is a small amount of money is worth your life or all the hassle it is to shoot somebody?

Or you could break the card in half and give it to him.
    The only drawback I can see to this is that the BG is already in a aggrivated state. He knows that all it would take is for some random cop to drive around the corner, and BINGO!, he's been made.

By you trying to give him the card and PIN (even if it wasn't the right PIN), this is only going to aggrivate him more. He is after the instant gratification of cash in hand.

By telling him that you will withdrawl the money, whether the card is bad or not, you now have your back to someone the has willingly put a deadly weapon in your face. Those tiny little mirrors that are on most ATM's are about as worthless as ticks on a hound. Plus if he is behind you close enough, most of his body is masked by your own and you can not see what he is doing.

Never take your eyes off of the threat. At least with your back to the ATM or adjacent wall, that is one direction no one else can sneak up on.

Situation: Your task is to acquire unsecured cash in hand; your attention is taken by your task; your eyes are down; your "radar" is off; and, you're unarmed.

Result: Tag, you're it.

Solution: Don't do that.

Really, it's about that simple. There be lions at the water hole. No way around that.

There aren't any good answers for how to respond when you've been completely compromised and taken at an ATM. You're unprepared, behind the curve, and very likely have a gun already pointed at you. Best way to avoid this is to avoid walk-up ATM's where the mix is handed over completely to the bad guy.

That said ... What would I do? Not much to be done. I'm not anyone's ninja, and if the BG is smart then he's beyond 3-4 ft and not liable to be disarmed (even if I were to have that skill). I'd hand over the cash, awaiting an angle/position where my gun hand was covered by my body, then likely draw/fire, assuming of course that I had alarm bells warning me it was likely anything more than a simple stick-up. These days, it's all too likely to end badly, as execution of witnesses is becoming more and more common. So, I'd fight, but it would have to be the right moment. Were the BG to actually come up to me where I could access the gun, then I'd have to think very quickly about whether I would/could disarm. I haven't trained for that skill, as yet, so likely not.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links