What would you do? ATM scenario

This is a discussion on What would you do? ATM scenario within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the ATM tonight getting some money when I got a really weird feeling. I turned around and someone was standing closer than ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? ATM scenario

What would you do? ATM scenario

I was at the ATM tonight getting some money when I got a really weird feeling. I turned around and someone was standing closer than I was comfortable with. I wasn't carrying cause I'm still waiting for my permit. It just made me think. What would you do if you turned around to a gun in your face at the ATM? Would you give them the money you got out or would you try to get your gun? If you gave them the money and they turned to leave would you pull your gun when you had the chance? Just curious how everyone would handle this situation.

2. Remove Ads

Not trying to sound like I am bagging on you for letting someone get that close to you, but you let the guy get to close. Situational awareness is paramount to every day life, even more so when you have lethal defence on your side.

To answer the question that you posed, some sort of distraction technique like dropping (not throwing) the money or your ATM card. Most people will look at movement. When their attention is diverted, create distance by what ever means necessary. At that point, draw and fire.

At least this is my armchair quarterbacking.

Quote Originally Posted by purple88yj View Post
    Not trying to sound like I am bagging on you for letting someone get that close to you, but you let the guy get to close. Situational awareness is paramount to every day life, even more so when you have lethal defence on your side.

To answer the question that you posed, some sort of distraction technique like dropping (not throwing) the money or your ATM card. Most people will look at movement. When their attention is diverted, create distance by what ever means necessary. At that point, draw and fire.

At least this is my armchair quarterbacking.
    You're right. I did let him too close but it was an ATM in front of a store. I usually don't use them but sometimes I can't help it. I don't let anyone get that close at a bank ATM but at the store ones there are people walking by cause they're on the side walk. I'll be a little more conscious of it from now on though.

bae
    If he turns and walks away after you give him your money, why are you going to shoot him?

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by python2 View Post
    What would you do if you turned around to a gun in your face at the ATM? Would you give them the money you got out or would you try to get your gun? If you gave them the money and they turned to leave would you pull your gun when you had the chance? Just curious how everyone would handle this situation.
    I'd do what Tom Cruise's character did in the alley in "Collateral" -- knock the guy's gun away, draw, and double-tap him and his partner!

No, seriously, not sure what I'd do if there was a gun pointed at my face, but I am always on HIGH alert when I use an ATM.

You can bet that if he takes the money and departs, my gun is coming out because I WILL be protected if he changes his mind about leaving me alive as a witness. What would be the point of NOT assuming a strong defensive condition? And I'd be on the phone to 911 a.s.a.p., never taking my eyes off the direction in which he left, and I'd be trying to remember his description. Oh, and I'd be working hard to resist the temptation to shoot the scumbag in the back.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    If he turns and walks away after you give him your money, why are you going to shoot him?
    Heh. There are soooo many ways to approach answering that question.

I guess some people's rationale would be that the world is better off without the guy?
    I dunno, just guessin'. This is not a statement about what's moral or legal or whatever, but you asked why someone would shoot him once he's leaving... just offering one hypothetical.

I make it a point not to use an ATM at night anymore for starters. By planning ahead just a bit, I find I can avoid certain situations.
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

Use a drive-up ATM in a well lighted, busy place

The best thing to do is make some distance between you and him and be prepared for what if, this would be condition Orange. 99% of condition Orange never develop into condition Red, but you still need to be prepared. Just because you have a piece of paper doesn't mean you can draw down on somebody for standing to close to you.
    Be careful, be safe!
    Last edited by rocky; January 14th, 2007 at 07:05 PM. Reason: uncalled for comments
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

On top of it all, even the ATMs inside the banks foyer (where you have to swipe your ATM card to get in) aren't even all that safe. For the technically-proficient BGs know that all you have to do is swipe ANY card with a magnetic backing (such as a stolen credit card) to gain access. Most of these restricted entry systems only look for something with data on it, and do not compare that data with any particular database (such as the bank's register of account-holders).

Simply to avoid fees and other nonsense, I do my best to stop at my bank's machines, and more often than not, try to simply go into the bank to withdraw funds (old fashioned, perhaps, but better situational security).

That sounded a little harsh. It wasn't meant that way. The situation I was in is not what this was about. It just made me think what I would do if it was a completely different situation(ex. gun in my face). Sorry if everyone read this one wrong. I've seen posts with "what if" situations before and just thought I would post one that I was thinking of.
    Last edited by rocky; January 14th, 2007 at 07:07 PM. Reason: removed qoted , edited text

You know, I can't recall the last time I even used an ATM other than the one inside the grocery store in our town. My bank has a branch located inside the store and the ATM is right there inside next to the tellers and away from the doors into and out of the store. So, it is safer than standing outside and getting money.

But, usually if I need money, I can buy something like a soda or something else and get cash back, thus avoiding any fees incurred by using a different banks ATM or something. So I would say, it has been years since I used an ATM that was outside.

I have apparently been avoiding possibly trouble without even realizing it. That makes me feel pretty good.

But, as for what I would have done in your situation, if I turned around and there was an armed Bad Guy in my face demanding the money, I'd give it to him. Simple as that, then be a good witness. But, if he gave me any reason to think he was going to shoot me or otherwise harm me, then I am going to do whatever I need to do to draw and end the threat.
    Bottom line is this: I carry to protect my family and to insure that no scum takes me away from them. I will protect myself how ever I need to.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I have an ATM gun .

Whenever I go to the (outside) ATM I have mycheckbook in my hand.
    Also in my hand (Behind the checkbook) is A NAA mini revolver with a hideAgrip. A 5 shot .22 isn't the best self defense gun BUT it's at the ready in my hand. You would be surprised how quick you can get 5 shots off, with alot of practice. A flick of the wrist and your at the ready. AT least I can divert his attention until I can reach for my primary CCW if necessary.

A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Bad guy in my face with a gun. . . here is the money, have a nice day.
    Not sure if I could draw quick enough. (more training/practice!!)
    Bad guy, no gun, pull my gun and hold them for police.
    Someone too close, TELL them, please step back a little.
    That is with time to think about it in the safty of my home at the keyboard. . .

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Act like I have just suffered a severe panic attack...drop the cash, start shaking, go to my knees, pull my piece

and send him to hell.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links