Drive By - Page 2

Drive By

This is a discussion on Drive By within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Yes, very nice twist. ;O) I'd probably be in with randytulsa2, I'd start shooting. Grab my .223 and start taking shots. If they're just randomly ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drive By

Yes, very nice twist. ;O) I'd probably be in with randytulsa2, I'd start shooting. Grab my .223 and start taking shots. If they're just randomly shooting everywhere then it because a threat to the general public rather than just me or the "mistaken house". At that point they've just made themselves moving targets.

Cheers.

Well with the twisted version and them still shooting down the block, either the 30.06 or the .270 would accompany me to the front porch and from behind the old oaks that are about 40inches in diameter, there would be some target practice while they rolled down the road. Unless they were driving an auto that was armor plated, they would quickly get the message they were not welcome in my neighborhood.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

I'd like to see an armored (civilian) car that can stand up to multiple rounds of .30-06 or .308 FMJ. Usually armored limos are built to withstand pistol rounds...
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

A couple of 30-06 wouldn't hurt a thing. I would shoot for the block or radiator or any part that would disable the car.

VIP Member
    Especially the part where the steering wheel actuator sits.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

.308 or .30-06 would both do massive damage to a vehicle if they're aimed at the engine bay.

They'd tear anything under the hood to shreds, save perhaps for a cast iron engine block. And it's possible it might crack or otherwise structurally damage even that.
    Discretion is the better part of valour; and a virtue beyond reproach.
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

With the 30.06, or .270, I would not be aiming at the the engine block. If they were past my house and moving down the block, I would be aiming at heads in the vehicle. Stopping the vehicle is not what I would be trying to do, that just makes them stick around longer to shoot more. I would be stopping the trigger muscles of the occupants.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Yep. Aim at the rear window and keep squeezin'.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Dear God I wouldn't shoot to disable the vehicle. That would be like one hound dog trying to corner a half dozen bears. The hounddog is going to lose.

I would grab my long guns. I have two nice .308's that are just dandy tack drivers. One is zeroed at 100, the next at 200. Shoot to kill. They will get the message very quickly.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Once the long guns are broken out, you're looking at a relative disparity of force. The people in the car are technically better-armed, but statistically speaking, criminals in general (and especially those involved in drive-bys) are atrocious marksmen. If you're engaging them at 50 yards or more, the odds begin to stack remarkably in your favour if you're a decent shot with a rifle.

So I think in this situation, assuming you have long guns to use, you would have a good chance to stop the threat.

Good News !

In the 'twisted' version... Continuing to fire would be reasonable grounds to assume they were still in commission of a forcible felony ( at least in my neck of the woods ), and I'd have free ticket to return fire.

Run for the house, tell the wife to call the neighbors and THEN 911, fire up the WSM .300 and go to town from cover. I'm a pretty damn good shot, with the scope set for 200 yards I don't think many will be making it back up my road. I'm fairly sure the .300 will penetrate both sides of the vehicle ( and whatever was in between ).

Time To Use The AR...

Mr. BushMaster with a EO Tech Holographic Scope would be talking to this particular vehicle...

These types of incidents usually don't seem to last very long. Take cover...stay low...

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links