Scenario: Terror on the flight - Page 3

Scenario: Terror on the flight

This is a discussion on Scenario: Terror on the flight within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think I'd just sit still until the festivites were over. The terrorists are getting smarter. They know that a CCW carrying civilian can shoot ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Scenario: Terror on the flight

Senior Moderator
    I think I'd just sit still until the festivites were over.
    The terrorists are getting smarter.
    They know that a CCW carrying civilian can shoot them just as dead as any well trained professional.

So..they've made adjustments to their mode of operation...

Standard Procedure for terrorists would be to have 3 or 4 perps attack the pilots and try to control the plane. The leader of the group would sit back and be silent and act like a scared passenger. He would "camoflage" himself by doing this. His only purpose is to ensure that the mission does not fail.

In the event that a few passengers get togther or there are a couple of LEO's trying to formulate a plan, it is his job to find the opportunity to take them out.

Consider that the thugs DO get into the cockpit, and some brave souls try to do the right thing and intervene. All of their attention will be focused on entering the cockpit, and it would make them easy pickings for someguy sitting in the back of the plane, watching the whole sceneario.

Or, the leader of the group formulated a plan with anyone that he can, knowing that there will be someone there that is willing to help that could threaten the mission. So acting as the initiator of this plan, he kills them all whenever the chance presents itself.

In which case you are screwed. You're the only one left with a gun and you discover that the plan is to fly the plan in the United Nations building. Do you engage ? Or do you let the terrorists do the United States a favor by taking the building out ?

WOW...what a dilemma...

How different may it have turned out?

The weather is fine and the airplane has reached cruising altitude, people are settled in reading or just watching the terrain. You’re returning to your home following a conference on security. There are ex-military and LEO on this flight not unusual for this part of the country. You wonder how many others are carrying as you are; your government issued .40 cal Glock feels good, its security. Suddenly and with no warning a screaming male shouts something about blowing up the plane while two others are rushing toward the cockpit. Usually there are 3 to 5 terrorist assigned to a flight when they strike. What do we do?? Take it from here guys, what can we do???
    Concealed carry on aircraft is allowed providing the airlines were advised by you prior to boarding. A link is provided to set the mood least we forget.

http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/911-...r-alqueda.html

The above paragraph is how we kicked this conversation off. I think the thread pointed out a few things about carrying a firearm on commercial aircraft. We needed APachon’s aircraft diagram up front; it could have made the flow of information visible to all. We had fun with the situation and I learned much.
    Comments about our situation and how we reacted; Scott and APachon said right off the bat sit back and see what FEDS will do and gather information. Bunper went a little deeper with comments based upon his LEO training and experience. So right up front there were no Rambo’s, it was wait and see. After throwing in the situation that people were getting beat and killed no one went Rambo so cool heads prevailed, that was good. Bumper gave further analysis on holding steady until the right time and scott was indicating how we may contact other good guys to form a plan of action. Rocky, Bobcat1 and everyone was on the same wavelength, wait and be careful. APachon layout of the plane was super as was his input.
    I believe that carrying firearms onboard a commercial plane by civilians would not be the way the go. There are just too many hurdles to overcome to be effective in event something happened. There are serious problems with FEDS carrying on an aircraft unless its their job to guard the flight and each knows the plan in case of an event. Protecting an airliner in flight requires training and coordination once aboard. It’s not a small issue. That’s what I got out of this thread. I hope we have additional LEO and FED opinions it would serve to educate us. Thanks again everyone.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

DC Founder
    Something I have always thought, jokingly, is that the best way to prevent a hijacking of a plane, train or other vulnerable means of transportation would be to issue every adult a cheap, single shot .22 pistol containing a single .22 short. Colllectively, there would be hundreds of rounds available to take out the BGs should anyone decide to pull something. They, however, would only have 3 to 5 rounds (if there were only 3-5 of them onboard) to use against a GGs. At the end of the flight, you could simply deposit your little pistol in a box to be used by the next passengers.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

We could call them MacAuto's!!! LOL
    ---
    NRA Life Member

I have a motto that I live by since 9/11. It works real well for this scenario.

"If I can't drive there in less than 3 days, . . . I don't go"

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

I am with you Dwight55.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Guys
    This brings back some pretty shaky memories. I had a ticket for the first flight out of Boston that day, and by God's grace, the case I was going to testify in, got settled the day prior. I'm a Private Investigator. Ok, back to the discussion. I'd sit there, as I usually have a seat in the rear of the plane, by preference, for this specific reason. I'd watch it begin unfold, then begin to surgically take em out if I could. The use of subsonic or low velocity ammo would be vital at this time, to either ensure that the skin on the aircraft would not be punctured or the blast from my weapon would not be impairing my vision or injuring the GG's on board. I only hope that the GG's that may also be drawing down on the BGs will notice me and not think I'm their adversary.. Either way, you gotta fight for your right to survive

Unhappy Speaking of Close Calls and Shaky memories....

Quote Originally Posted by CLASS3NH
    Guys
    This brings back some pretty shaky memories. I had a ticket for the first flight out of Boston that day, and by God's grace, the case I was going to testify in, got settled the day prior.
    I had a buddy who is a retired LTC of Special Forces. When he was a young captain he was overseas on assignment with a bunch of other SF officers and his chain of command. He was to be sent back to Bragg to handle some details of paperwork and at the RAMP he was stopped and to give another officer got the ticket and assignment. The Flight was Pan Am FLT 103..... Talk about shaky memories!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

A number of years ago I worked on large computer systems that consumed many hours of my life. We had a great crew of guys that troubleshot problems and we went wherever they sent us. My friend was in Chicago working on a problem and decided it was fixed, the customer agreed so he drove to the airport and was waiting to board. His pager goes off and upon calling the customer requested him back on site. Well the plane he was slated to take crashed and no survivors, we were just so glad that our guy was OK. Once in a lifetime break I guess.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

How does something like that change you I wonder? BRother and I were on the Highway in LA that crumbled during the earthquake on the way to go surfing. Talk about pucker-factor. We ended up giving aid to anyone we could see, but the whole time I never let him out of my sight. That was one fo the longest days of my life and also one of the most rewarding. Why you ask, well, it was nice to see racial barriers drop for a few days as all humanity came together with a common bond to help one another. In my eyes it was a temporary Utopia.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

Quote Originally Posted by APachon
    How does something like that change you I wonder? BRother and I were on the Highway in LA that crumbled during the earthquake on the way to go surfing. Talk about pucker-factor. We ended up giving aid to anyone we could see, but the whole time I never let him out of my sight. That was one fo the longest days of my life and also one of the most rewarding. Why you ask, well, it was nice to see racial barriers drop for a few days as all humanity came together with a common bond to help one another. In my eyes it was a temporary Utopia.

~A
    As I remember that morning of 9/11 I was sitting in Peabody Mass doing a Workers' Comp Surveillance, and overhearing the messages of the first flight's crash into the towers. I sat there in my vehicle and was stunned to think I was supposed to be on that flight, and by fate, I was I called my wife, told her I loved her and then called my Mother and thanked her for having me as her son. I drove home, and went to Church that day. Thanked God for sparing me, and realized that we do have a purpose in life, no matter what we think, or others think about us.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links