Is a syringe considered a deadly weapon? - Page 2

Is a syringe considered a deadly weapon?

This is a discussion on Is a syringe considered a deadly weapon? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I will be an 'old man'...come running at me after being warned to stay back...needle or not... I shot because I feared for my life...disparity ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a syringe considered a deadly weapon?

In Just A Couple Of Weeks...

I will be an 'old man'...come running at me after being warned to stay back...needle or not...

I shot because I feared for my life...disparity of force?...Perhaps...

OMO

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would hate to face a trial after killing someone that attacked me with a needle. I can only imagine what how the DA would paint that story.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I remember here about 20 years ago, there was a problem with junkies booby trapping syringes. When an LEO was searching a purse, fanny pack, etc. they ran a high chance of getting stuck with the needle which in some cases resulted in disease or poisen transmisson.

I am sure some of the LEO's here could attest to the fear of having to search some scumbag and not sure what your going to pull out all ready stuck in your hand.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    In a CCW situation when threatened by someone with a syringe, is deadly force permissible?
    Any reasonable person is well aware of the risks of deadly pathogens in blood, including the one committing the assault. There's no telling where a syringe/needle has been. If being wielded as a weapon by a BG, though, it must be assumed the dang thing has been to some unsavory places, given the simple fact the BG believes it to be threatening. IMO, so should the GG, for all of the obvious reasons. Blood borne pathogens can and do kill; and lethal items wielded in such a manner that they can not be seen as anything else should be taken as such. So long as A.O.J. is met, lethal force is justified.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud White View Post
    Its a Good question but for me personally

I would say it is you don't know what's in there from infected blood to draino
    My feelings exactly.

Dude, anything that will be used to PENETRATE MY SKIN is surely going to be met with deadly force on my part!

No way am I going to allow anyone to tell me that's something I should have to allow without using my gun to defend against it.

Quote Originally Posted by js View Post
    I would hate to face a trial after killing someone that attacked me with a needle. I can only imagine what how the DA would paint that story.

As opposed to enjoying facing trial for killing someone for any other reason?

Would you seriously refrain from defending yourself against someone because it's "only a needle" and you feel that you couldn't raise the spectre of it being infected with a deadly pathogen in court?

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Mr Andersohn was working at a garden in Staverton Road, Summertown, when he was stabbed from behind with a syringe at 1pm on Tuesday, June 21.

He said: "I was cutting the front hedge, had my back to the road and before I knew it, this young lad barged into me."

Mr Andersohn said he looked down and saw the needle, then looked up and saw his attacker running away.
    Of this I am sure:

I would have chased down that "youth" and brought about his death. Painfully.

Oh yeah you bet I'd shoot someone wielding a needle against me.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    Of this I am sure: I would have chased down that "youth" and brought about his death. Painfully.
    I suspect anyone doing this would soon find himself/herself on the ass end of a prison sentence. If I've read Florida's laws correctly, use of deadly force (in FL) is justified only when one is:
    • trying to protect yourself or another person from death or serious bodily harm, or
    • trying to prevent a forcible felony, such as rape, robbery, burglary or kidnapping.

Chasing down someone to kill him after conclusion of an attack would almost certainly be seen as a distinctly separate act (punishment). It's tantamount to shooting a fleeing person. Caution.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    As opposed to enjoying facing trial for killing someone for any other reason?

Would you seriously refrain from defending yourself against someone because it's "only a needle" and you feel that you couldn't raise the spectre of it being infected with a deadly pathogen in court?
    No I would not refrain from defending myself against an attack from someone with a needle. I just said that I would hate to face that trial as opposed to facing a legal situation where a BG had a large knife or gun. I think it might be the difference of charges being filed or not. From what I have been told you will be charged with a crime unless it's a clear case that lethal force is justified.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything
    Wyatt Earp

NRA Member

I would think in this day and age, that most if not all states would recognize a syringe as a deadly weapon, however, I am not a lawyer. Most states (to my knowledge) use the "reasonable person" test, that is would a reasonable person in the same set of circumstances believe his/her life to be in danger of death or grave injury.

Just my opinion.

Be safe, all.
    When you are truly transformed into a warrior and have truly invested yourself into warriorhood, you want to be there. You want to be able to make a difference.
    From the essay "TRIBES" by Bill Whittle

A follow up for the 2002 Santa Barbara/UCSD student who was charged with assault with a deadly weapon... all charges were dropped as his police verified alibis showed that he was 200 miles (in San Diego) away when the last female was attacked. FYI...
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Quote Originally Posted by MikeGoob View Post
    In a CCW situation when threatened by someone with a syringe, is deadly force permissible?
    Yes.

Once you start talking about AIDS you don't really have to have a needle to get it. If some guy with AIDS punched me in the face I could easily be cut and his hand could be as well. Does that mean that anyone even someone you truly believe you could overpower in a straight fistfight is potentially leathal if there is any blood involved. Every fight I've been in (young and haning out in bad places while skateboarding) has had lots of blood in it.

You'll never really know who has what diseases so everyone could be a potential aggeressor with AIDS? I'd like to favor the guy defending himself but our court systems don't seem to do that well.

It should be justified. How are you supposed to know what is in it?

Water? Air? AIDS infected blood? Cyanide?

There is no way I'd allow myself to be injected with anything without defending myself.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links