Assaulted at a party. Shoot or not? real situation - Page 4

Assaulted at a party. Shoot or not? real situation

This is a discussion on Assaulted at a party. Shoot or not? real situation within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ......

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Last edited by Warhawk; January 26th, 2007 at 08:41 PM.

My first reaction to the question was that if your life is in danger than you have the right to use whatever force necessary to protect yourself.
    This isn't necessarily sufficient. If you had a hand in starting or escalating the situation, then some jurisdictions might not allow you to claim self defense.

Wow! Aside from the potential criminal charges there is also the civil liability issue unless your state has a law like they just passed here in Texas that protects the victim from civil action if they legally shoot in self defense. If your friend had fired and hit one of the BGs he could probably expect to be sued. The rules in civil court are a whole different ball of wax from criminal. Instead of proving something beyond a reasonable doubt (99.9%)they only have to prove 51%. All it takes is jury that thinks he had a reasonable alternative (like getting in his car and locking the door) to shooting and there is the million dollar judgement against him.

He leaves the party after exchanging some words with the two guys
    That right there, was the first stupid mistake your friend made. If you're carrying, you have to do EVERYTHING you can possibly do.. to avoid confrontation. that means keeping your mouth shut even when someone pisses you off.

Those guys can hate your friend all they want... but your friend needs to learn to just ignore it and keep his mouth shut.. quite possibly your friend exchanging words with them, is what led to the confrontation in the first place.. so he already violated one of the codes to carrying a weapon.. avoid confrontation on your part at least.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    This could be college BS too, this is why I have been hired out by people to keep unwanted people out of their parties here (50,000 people on campus, you never know who will show up, a guy with a clipboard gets a lot of people to walk away). BMW, you profile says you are a police officer? If that is true, you definately shouldn't need to be asking these types of questions.
    True.......................
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

I thought this thread was dead and on the bottom of the pile. I think we have about beat it to death. As I said before, I was just relaying the info that was given to me from my friend. I thought what he told me was interesting and a good situation to share with you all for comments. This was one of my first posts on this forum and I was just trying to get a fell for the type of people on here. Im smart enough to avoid these kind of situations on my free time. But also, Im only 24, so I still have friends that do go out and party. I have a criminal justice degree and know most of the laws. But, does that mean that because I have that knowledge that I still can't learn from other prospectives? I like hearing what others might think about controversail subjects. What I don't like is people trying to ridicule me and question what I do for a living. I'm proud of my job, and I've worked very hard to to be in a position to help people.

Lead Moderator
    I don't see anyone ridiculing you. More like questioning why a LEO would have to ask such a question. I see you don't say you are an officer specifically. Either way, if you have LE training , the answer should be fairly obvious.
    Last edited by rocky; April 4th, 2007 at 06:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I was trying to invoke responses in general. My position always was that you meet a deadly threat with deadly force. That being said, I had limited info to this incident, but from his story It sounded like he may have been justified. I was throwing this story out there to get other opinions. I agree my wording could have been better. And to answer your question, I have been with the PD for over two years. I started right after getting my degree.
    Last edited by bmwaddicted; April 7th, 2007 at 09:27 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links