Walking in Front of People in Parking Lot

This is a discussion on Walking in Front of People in Parking Lot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Leaving a grocery store the other night a couple of guys exited the store behind me. I knew they were there since I saw their ...

Thread: Walking in Front of People in Parking Lot

Walking in Front of People in Parking Lot

Leaving a grocery store the other night a couple of guys exited the store behind me. I knew they were there since I saw their reflection in the door in front of me before I exited, but it still made me a little uncomfortable to be walking out to the car with them fairly close behind me. Nothing happened, but it made me think about what I could do differently next time. I thought maybe just pause in the exit of the store and pretend to look at the bulletin boards or something until they were out and on their way? Suggestions? Too paranoid?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I do just that. Why have someone behind you , if it can be helped.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Same here - I do NOT like to feel followed, however innocent the third parties! I will change course, stop and dither, look in window - in fact anything to be free of them and let them get ahead.

Funny tho - imagine I am following me - there'd be a constant delay as I and me changed positions - neither wanting to be followed by the other LOL
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Grislic View Post
    Nothing happened, but it made me think about what I could do differently next time. I thought maybe just pause in the exit of the store and pretend to look at the bulletin boards or something until they were out and on their way?
    This works very well. From time to time, I also get those little hairs standing up on the back of my neck. Invariably, there are a couple/three young men shuffling along somewhere close by. Though it's almost certain to be a non-issue, a simple directional change can confirm whether a bump up the ladder in preparedness is required. Doesn't even skip a beat, in terms of continuing what I'm doing.

Paranoid? Only if there aren't folks out there targeting folks in just such situations (and there are).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member
    As we used to say in the intel business, "Just because you aren't paranoid, that doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you." Only one way to be sure and that is get yourself in a position to keep an eye on them.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

In my case it is really a non issue most of the time, since I am generally moving about 1 1/2 the speed of most people when walking, shopping or whatever. I always seem to be in a hurry.

I guess I figure someone looking for an easy target is not going to be in a big hurry about going after them. Maybe I am wrong, maybe not.

If someone leaves the store behind me, the distance between me and them is usually getting greater, and if they leave before me, I am usually passing them up.

I guess I am the kind of person that makes alot of you all feel uncomfortable when approaching from behind rather fast paced. But after I swoosh past I am sure all are relieved.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Listen to that little voice inside your head. There is nothing wrong with being careful.

The couple of time I did not listen, it came back to bite me. Lucky for me nothing rely bad happened.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

I will usually switch to a different direction of travel, with the HK at the ready. My SOP is go get vehicle pick up wife at store with stuff, so I am free to move and unburdened.
    That an I will look them directly in the face to see just who N what I am dealing with, after all why waste a good rush on a 85 year old grandma that is just trying to get home.
    Eye contact is a good idea, a couple of weeks back I was in a elevator with a really creepy looking individual, looked them square in the eyes smiled and said howdy, they acted like it made their day.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

I have a pretty long stride, and find it no trouble to put distance between others and me at a normal walk. If somebody keeps up with me for more than a second or two, I start getting nervous and changing course or making sure they wind up in front of me.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

I Would Also Pause And...

as I wait to exchange 'front positions'...I like to make eye contact with those around me...(my eyes say...)"I DO see you, and I am VERY aware of your presence!"...

Stay armed...stay safe!

OMO

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Nope, not paranoid. God gave those instincts for a reason. Listen to them- they're many, many generations of survival rolled up into your hardwiring.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

The little voice is often more aware of what is happening than we are. Pay attention to the little voice. I listen to mine and I don't care if people think it is paranoid or not. It may just save my life.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Its funny actually, I had that same feeling the other day leaving the grocery store. I just turned and acted like I was walking down the wrong lane of cars. ended up being a group of guys with a bunch of party stuff, probably football party or some such.

even more then people walking behind me, is people who take at least 2 turns the same as you in a vehicle. makes me alil paranoid. I had one car follow me through about 10 turns one night, (def not a cop by the way). After turn 3 I just sped up and made a lot of turns until I finally did a turn before he made the last turn, and got away from them. Could have been friends since it was a small town (4000).

Sorry about the takeover there, but yea, I do it all the time. just being aware.

Links