Situation in Boston

Situation in Boston

This is a discussion on Situation in Boston within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was out doing the town in Boston a couple of weeks ago with some of my co-workers. It was cold as H*** with the ...

Thread: Situation in Boston

Situation in Boston

I was out doing the town in Boston a couple of weeks ago with some of my co-workers. It was cold as H*** with the wind blowing. We were walking to the Quincy Market area to get a bite to eat. None of us were familar with the area and were being observant about what was around us. Any way we were waiting to cross the street, the walk light was no go but traffic was light. A local walked across the street against the light and a car wizzed by narrowly missing him. He took his coffee cup and smashed it against the car window as the car almost ran him over. The car came to a screeching halt and a very large and angry man came out in a hurry to discuss the situation. I was behind the pedistrian and froze to the spot like a big dummy. The situation dissolved as the driver got back into his car and drove away.

It all happened very fast and unexpected, hopefully the next time I will react differently. The other guys just kept on walking, went through all the blocked cars in the intersection and left the scene.

This all happened in about 1 minute. In retrospect I should have kept moving away from the situation. I was blocked by cars in front of me but could have moved backwards or picked my way through the intersection. All I could think about was if this guy had a gun and started shooting I would have been in the line of fire.

Live and learn I guess.

Distance and Cover are your friends.

You, as you said, should've kept moving. If one of them had a gun you would be ill-advised to get involved and start "protecting" one of the combatants.

As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't effect me and mine I will only be a witness.

Biker

Lead Moderator
    driving by 'may' have exposed you to more bullets/less cover. an engine block is the best cover , so if they were in front of you you would be in the best position. If not, moving away would have been a good move.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Yea I have to say moving away is probably the best option. Getting involved could turn ugly really quick.

Consider this: If YOU were the driver, would you not be taking the time to voice some choice words to someone who did that? How would you react to someone else getting involved? How would you react if someone drew down on you ?(the other cc maybe misreading the situation and thinking that is was escalating to dangerous) Now you would be faced with having to respond accordingly, which could very likely end up with someone dead. All over a cup of coffee. If I was in that situation as the driver, my assumption based on what I saw would be that all bets were off and I was probably being setup for a carjacking. Of course, I don't make the habit of stoping and getting into an argument with jackasses like that either.

Be a good witness, move away and protect yourself.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Garland, NC (About 25 miles east of Fayetteville)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, if it doesn't effect me and mine I will only be a witness.

Biker
    I agree 100%.

These are words to live by.
    "Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud..."
    -Jeff Cooper, "The Art of the Rifle"

Links