I've got a trigger finger...

This is a discussion on I've got a trigger finger... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ...and it's not what you think. The last few weeks, I noticed that my right hand middle finger was feeling a bit swollen and sore, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: I've got a trigger finger...

...and it's not what you think.

The last few weeks, I noticed that my right hand middle finger was feeling a bit swollen and sore, and it would sort of 'pop' or 'click' when I bent it. Endured it for a while, and when the pain got worse, I decided to see the doc.

He took one look, listened to the popping sound, and said: "You've got 'trigger finger'.

Trigger finger Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic

Trigger finger, also known as stenosing tenosynovitis (stuh-NO-sing ten-o-sin-o-VIE-tis), is a condition in which one of your fingers gets stuck in a bent position. Your finger may straighten with a snap — like a trigger being pulled and released.
    He gave me a steroid injection into my palm, and said that it works for 80 to 90% of patients. I can still sort of bend my fingers, but the middle finger is tight, so it will be a few days before I'll feel comfortable gripping my Glock 30.

I guess I'll also have to think of a new way to salute people who cut me off in traffic!

This is a good opportunity for me to practice off-hand shooting and gun handling.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Got to always look at the bright side of each situation.

This is what I look for in people when I first meet them.

Rest up and practice that weak side. I'm sure you will be better in no time.
    BenGoodLuck and gloves12 like this.

I was in a bad accident years ago and the result is a trigger finger, right hand, middle finger. It will lock closed and is EXTREMELY painful to straighten. Usually happens when I'm using a wrench or something. My friends laugh like crazy as I hop around pulling my finger while giggling myself 'cause it hurts so much. My Doc says it's an easy fix. In the office with local anesthesia. Small slice then a cut to a tendon. Some day.
    BenGoodLuck and USM1976 like this.
    “Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
    ~Sheriff Jim Wilson

Senior Member Array Gimme_Coffee's Avatar
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that. I hope it gets better soon.

P.S. - I love the Mayo Clinic site - it gives very clear and accurate information. I recommend it to anyone who is looking for medical information.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Sonofagun. I've got that, too. I thought maybe arthritis had set into that joint (same finger as you, Ben). It's been popping off and on for almost a year now. Sometimes when I'm sitting there relaxed and sense it tightening I'll throw my hand open so I get a smaller "pop".
    Thanks for the information and link.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

First time I experienced it was in my right thumb. Had that one repaired surgically. That was over 20 years ago and it has never been a problem. The only problem is that when they went in to shave the nodule off the effected tendon, it caused minor nerve damage and I have no sensation in one side of my thumb. It causes no problem except that I can no longer pick up a coin with that hand.

At present I have that issue in my left index finger and, you guessed it, I'm left-handed. My Rheumatologist is currently treating it with a topical Voltaren cream which works very well, and reduces the swelling in my knuckle so the trigger action is not an issue except first thing in the morning. She has said she will go the steroid route if it becomes too annoying, but that she wouldn't recommend surgery unless it become so bad it won't straighten.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Senior Member Array diggler1833's Avatar
    At least your condition has a cool moniker. Imagine if it was called "bent noodle" instead of "trigger finger".
    gdolson and BenGoodLuck like this.

VIP Member
    There's out-patient surgery that you can get for that. My dad had it done on both hands (not at the same time) and it fixed him right up.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by diggler1833 View Post
    At least your condition has a cool moniker. Imagine if it was called "bent noodle" instead of "trigger finger".
    Yeah, but imagine your child trying to explain to a teacher that they have "trigger finger."

Or that one of their parents has "trigger finger" real bad. I bet that one would get a visit from Child Services.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

- Anon

Quote Originally Posted by notavictim View Post
    I was in a bad accident years ago and the result is a trigger finger, right hand, middle finger. It will lock closed and is EXTREMELY painful to straighten. Usually happens when I'm using a wrench or something. My friends laugh like crazy as I hop around pulling my finger while giggling myself 'cause it hurts so much. My Doc says it's an easy fix. In the office with local anesthesia. Small slice then a cut to a tendon. Some day.
    Ask your doctor about the injection; much less invasive, and the literature seems to agree that it works in about 80% of patients. The problem might be that you've had the condition for a long time, and the tendon might now be damaged. But it's worth a try.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

I thinks it's ironic that I got a 'shot' to fix a 'trigger finger'!
    ShooterGranny and gloves12 like this.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by notavictim View Post
    My doctor showed me how to press on a spot on my hand to release the "trigger."

PM me, if interested, and I will try to explain it.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

- Anon

TRX
    Dang. That showed up on my left middle finger about four months ago. I thought it was just the arthritis spreading to a new spot.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I'll stick to back pain.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by Gimme_Coffee View Post
    I love the Mayo Clinic site
    Everytime I'm sick and I go there or WebMD I find that I have cancer. My wife has forbidden me to go to those sites when I'm sick.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I'll stick to back pain.
    I had a spinal injection today to deal with the pain from mulitple blown discs in my neck. I've had facet joint nerves burned, etc, etc, etc. Fighting off surgery as long as I can. And it causes my back to hurt along my shoulder blades from nerve compression in my neck.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links