The Aftermath, A little different - I think.

This is a discussion on The Aftermath, A little different - I think. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a re-creation of a post that was lost during the down time. If you responded to the other one, please share again. My ...

This is a re-creation of a post that was lost during the down time. If you responded to the other one, please share again.

My question is about the aftermath of a shooting. We have talked much about how to deal with LEO and media, but what about the BG's family and friends?

I used the example of a family I used to live next to (when I lived in town) that had three pre-teen boys that were pretty much trouble. I was always able to deal with them in a way that was firm and I believe I commanded respect from them, as I never was a victim of their bad behavior (petty theft, vandalism, etc.). However, I was always a little concerned that if I really came down hard on them, I would be setting up my property or family for "revenge". Right or wrong, its how I felt.

Well, apply the revenge mentality to defensive shooting. After the media plasters your house, face and family all over the 6 o'clock news for a week or two, how do you deal with the BG's family or gang buddies that want to "avenge their honor"? This could even apply to the guy who breaks up a crime with the show of force. Will the BG's ego be bruised enough to come at you later?

While I don't believe this should play into a shoot/no-shoot decision, I wonder how we plan to deal with this very real after shooting scenario.

Anyone out there with real life experience? I'm not asking for details of a shoot, rather, how you dealt with the aftermath. Was this concern a reality?

In my original post, I summed up by asking the question:
    Is there any such thing as a "normal" life after a defensive shooting?

My gut tells me, no.

What do you think?

Dave.
    Go beyond that which is required of you...

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I imagine that the police would be speaking with the family of the BG, warning them that to have ANYTHING to do with me would subject them to the criminal charge of tampering with a witness. Hopefully, they would have the sense to take that warning to heart and leave me the hell alone, and realize that I acted righteously when their guy attacked me.

I would also mention my concerns to the police and to the DA involved in the case. (If the BG survived, he may be the subject of criminal charges himself, since I would be shooting him in a justified circumstance.) I would ask them what they thought I should do to protect myself from reprisals. (I'd probably try to find the cop who seems most sympathetic to what I had done.)

It's a big concern of mine because I live in Northern California and much of the crime is committed by illegals. I believe it was illegals who did a petty burglary on my carport storage locker last month and I came close to catching them in the act. If I had actually caught them and elevated the situation to one involving deadly force you can be sure I'd be facing reprisals from their fellow gang members and would probably have to move. For me, it was another strong reminder to reserve the use of my guns for DEADLY THREATS ONLY because those are the only situations I'm willing to go thru all the repercussions that follow.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    This is my primary concern with the aftermath. I know I'm not going to shoot unless there is some real danger so I'll be okay legally, but you hit the nail on the head. Though I never thought about it from a "tampering with a witness" standpoint. Hell, thats a federal crime, isn't it?
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

What was that scene in JAG. The Admiral was in Italy, after his daughter. He killed someone, and then met one of their relatives.
    They were talking about vendettas...talking about how all the male members of the family would be hunting the Admiral. He responded with I'd hate to have to kill them all as well..or something to that effect.
    I'd do whatever I had to do to protect myself and my loved ones. If their homies wanted to try something, they will regardless of what the LEOs tell them. Witness tampering or not...if they want their ounce of flesh for whatever "disrespect" they deem you might have caused, the threat of law isn't going to stop them.
    If they had any sense they'd know their guy suffered a fatal error in the victim selection process and wouldn't repeat his mistake.
    Of course...if they had any sense it wouldn't be an issue would it :-)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Once you shoot one, the rest get easier. I count among my friends a man who can pick you up over his head using only your throat and jewels, a direct descendent of Devilance Hatfield, and certain high level LEOs. I have no doubt my friends would be more than willing to be frequent guests at my house if there were any chance of reprisals, and would not rule out certain pre-engagement discussions as to the futility of such actions.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

If gang related I would expect something (drive-by, vadialism) and civil suite. If they are bent on killing for revenge as they are in gang wars they have the upper hand, protect you and yours the best you can but the odds are in their favor.

i always think that way as well and consider in every situation "will this bite me in the ass later on." but i always argue with myself about it. in this situation, if you let gang members get away with a crime for fear of revenge, then they just won twice.

They say that the police officers are having trouble with the BG coming back to get even. What makes it any different in your case. Don't get involved in a shooting unless there is no other way out. let the police handle it. That way it is on record. Be sure to get a case number.

A number of years back a friend of mine that owned a family gun store shot and killed a BG that had broken into the store, he was in the process of grabbing guns when my friend who had been working in the basement machine shop heard a noise and had went upstairs to investigate. Upon spotting the PERP he grabbed a AR 15 off the living room wall and fired three shots killing him instantly. After the investigation was completed and his AR returned the phone calls started "you killed my brother, I'm going to come for you" where as he would reply "I have the same gun and more bullets, come on over" and the phone would go "CLICK" and they would not call back.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Administrator
    Here I go again... sorry guys, but there is some serious non sense in this thread.

A warning from an LEO will not stop a BG from coming after you if he is so inclined. If his intent is murder, to you really think an intimidation charge is going to stop him? I donít think so. Its just like the jokes we all laugh at- how did that murder happen in D.C., guns are illegal. And no, itís not a federal crime unless itís a federal case. I doubt you will be involved in anything like that.

Sorry paramedic70002, but all the "high level" LEO's that I know are pencil necked politicians who like to talk a tough game but never spent more than a year or two as a street cop. They went to admin because they could not survive on the street. Now that I bashed admin., most of them are smart enough not to get involved in such affairs.

To answer the original topic- Keep your mouth shut! Do not talk to the media, your neighbors or your neighborís dog. Keep your trap shut!
    As far as the police are concerned, tell them that you will not impede the investigation, and you are the shooter. Give them the very basics of what happened, to let them know if they need to be looking for anymore BGs, BG bodies etc. Do not go into the details until you have had legal council. Any LEO will understand this and not hassle you over it.

Revenge... I guess it could happen, I wonder the frequency of cases that this does happen. If itís a gang thing, I suppose itís more likely too. I wish I had an answer in a can for this, but every case is different. Ones mind is going to be altered after a shooting, you will be in orange for a long time afterwards. Itís tiring, mentally and physically.
    "Just blame Sixto"

well spoken sixto

SIXTO,

Again, I knew I could count on your response. I think your last sentence sums up my feeling on the issue. If there were a threat of revenge, the physical and mental fatigue of being at orange for a prolonged period of time would be quite a thing.

I agree with those who say, the same for all takers if they are willing to try. I just think the odds change a little as the constant threat increases.

Also, the BG didn't give a rip about any laws in the first place, why should I think that any of his family or friends would? If they got caught for tampering or whatever, even if they did some time, it would probably just add fuel to the revenge fire. No, BG's could care less about any of our laws.

Dave.
    Go beyond that which is required of you...

Aahhh, 002: That's Devil Anse.

Links