Ride or Too Busy

This is a discussion on Ride or Too Busy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I would 'interview' him, and if it seemed ok, give him a ride. I've needed help and been given it by others, so would pay ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride or Too Busy

I would 'interview' him, and if it seemed ok, give him a ride. I've needed help and been given it by others, so would pay it forward if the gut said he's OK.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    The one thing I forgot to mention - and this is old age cynicism at work!

The best con-man (read potential BG) is the guy who comes over as so genuine it seems he could not possibly be other than OK!

Dang - I hate mistrusting folks - but ya just never know. I'll add too, if I am in a fix I sure would appreciate some help - so can hardly complain if someone leaves me out in the cold!!

To quote my boring fave - ''play it as ya see it''
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Interesting post. This morning I am leaving the liquour store in the supermarket shopping center. Got the usual situation awareness going on: look both ways before stepping out the door onto the sidewalk, survey the parking lot, step out onto the lot, look behind me while I'm approaching my truck. Put the package in the bed while I unlock the door, put my package in and climb in.

Out of nowhere, an Asian woman comes up to me and asks me if I'm heading in a particular direction. I said yeah, can't help you, shut the door, started the truck and backed out. She looked stunned that I wouldn't give her a ride. As I was pulling out, I saw her approach another shopper loading groceries.

The last thing I'm going to do is give a stranger a ride, especially a female who may accuse me of sexual assult.

The thing that really bothered me was that she got right up to my door and I didn't realize it. Couldn't have gotten to my ccw as it was under oversized shirt which I'm now sitting on.

Gonna have to train on this one a little harder.

Administrator
    ccw9mm brings up an excellent point, Why leave your wife and kids alone and up to a possible attack. If he really is a just stranger in need, that would be in the back of my head the entire time.

Vet to Vet, our BS meters work pretty good. Any vet knows and will tell you that we can verify truth in a claim of prior service fairly easy with some basic questions, the answers only another vet would know. Sometimes its not what is said, but how the question is answered.

This situation at face value, I would not have given him a ride. Maybe an offer for a cab, IF I felt comfortable that he was telling me the truth.
    "Just blame Sixto"

What a strange coincidence. I had an experience very similar to this.

I was fueling up at my gas station, just as I was getting back in my car a male about 45 years old approached me and said "HEY...YOUNG MAN...YOUNG MAN! HEY...YOUNG MAN!"

First of all he came up behind me and was yelling pretty loud, so I immediately jumped to orange.

"What do you need?" I asked

"How'd you like to make 15 bucks" He said..."all I need is a ride somewhere"

"No thanks buddy."

He looked pretty pissed as I drove away.

No reason he can't call a cab with 15 bucks...as long as he's not going somewhere he shouldn't be.

I feel bad telling someone I can't give them a ride, but the world is a dangerous place and I don't really feel like putting myself at an unnecessary risk.
    "Life exists at a level of complexity almost beyond our ability to comprehend. It's a well known fact that if you try to take apart a cat to see how it works one of the first things you have on your hands is a non-working cat" - Douglas Adams

"All things are governed by law" - Hippocrates

No ride.

I might call a cab but I'm not paying for it.

And he comes no closer than the sidewalk.

Just because he is ex-mil does not mean he is a good guy. He could be trying to get you away from the house or get you to drive into a situation. Such as you get to his car and a bunch of other folks are there to do you ill.

I know a lot of those on here would feel bad for the old guy. But, that is exactly what he / they want you to feel. That makes you more likely to help them and puts you at ease. You are thinking how nice you are and how this is a good deed and them you are hit / stabbed / shot before you know it.

So, a long time ago, I decided that people in general are scum and I pretty much killed any sympathy I had for my fellow man. Now, this is not to say that I wouldn't come to the aid of an innocent third party who is getting beaten or robbed or whatever. But when someone just walks up to me and asks for a ride or something, I am immediately on guard and ready to defend myself.
    I also don't help these folks out. I have to stop every morning at the end of an off ramp where a guy I refer to as "Homeless Joe" stands with his little cardboard "Homeless, hungry, ex-military, please help. God Bless" sign and I have never given him anything and I never will. I have seen this joker walk away from the curb and go to his hidden backpack and pull a sandwich out and eat on it while he takes a break from his job. He probably pulls down several hundred dollars or more a day. That's more than I make a day. So, screw him.

I don't help anyone that I'm not related to by blood or marriage.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

no ride, but I'll call the police to see if they can help you.

VIP Member
    Yea...I would call him a Cab,if that wouldn't do,would call the local PD to assist a citizen(with his bad knees and such).

The real story

Well here is how it actually went.

I don't have any stickers or anything saying support our troops or whatever on my vehicles. The only thing that is on any of them is a sticker for a jeep website and a K of C license plate that says In God We Trust in my Jeep, Truck and Van are bare. So he would not have a clue that I was either prior military or that would play on any sympathies.

BTW, I was wearing my iwb, tucked as I normally do, so didn't have to bother with going to get weapon or whatever, already had it.

I finished up the repair to the jeep and we talked a bit, nothing in particular. Said he wished he was mechanically inclined. To finish up took only a couple of minutes to connect the two hoses and such, filled it up with coolant.

I told him to hold on a minute while I went inside to wash my hands. We always keep the front and back doors locked and deadbolted even when we are home. The garage door and door to the garage are usually left unlocked when we are home since that is how we enter and exit the house.

Any way I washed my hands went out, locked door behind me,and he was still in the same place he was when I went in. I left the tools and the hood on the jeep up, and walked towards wife's truck and said lets go. He proceed to the passengers side of the truck while I opened the drivers side and hit the unlock button so he could get in. I had forgotten that I had been to the parts store and was playing some Def Leopard at about 100 db, so when I turned the key, the music blared and I quickly shut down the stereo. I told him that he probably didn't want to listen to that did he, and he said no, not that loud and it didn't sound like church music.

Anyway, got in and buckled my seatbelt, and he struggled to get in, Truck is 4x4 and he was having a bit of trouble with his size getting up into it. I noticed he was going to have a hard time with it and he realized that the seatbelt was a futile effort so didn't even attempt it.

I hit the button to shut the garage door, as I always do when leaving the house. We back out head down the road and talk a bit more, we start to approach the destination and he starts to dig into his pocket along side the door. Alert level goes up just a touch but then think hell, he don't have no seatbelt on, if something is going to happen, his head will either be in the windshield or side window, anyway he is pulling out a bank card or something and starts to talk about opening a new account etc.

I see what is coming next. As we pull into the convience store where he is supposed to meet the other person a couple of hours from now he asks about helping him out with some cash. I stop the truck in the parking lot and tell him that I don't have any cash on me. He says ok, thanks and proceeds to exit the truck. He leaves a small bag on the seat in the process, so I pick it up and tell him not to forget the bag. He says thanks again and shuts the door.

That it, It took all of about 3 minutes to get him to the store and get back home. Wife and kid were still asleep. If anyone had tried to get into the house it would have either taken some time or wife would have heard it and she knows where there is a loaded 44-40 with 200gr cast lead bullets if needed. On the way home I did however figure I was going to post this just to see how many would and would not give the ride.

This guy was surely no threat to me, he was 10 to 20 years older, and 100lbs heavier, and definately not in any shape to do much. Regardless if he was prior military or not, don't really care if he was lying about that, or not, I would have given this guy a ride. Someone different, maybe not. All depends on the person. This time there was no threat of danger that I saw. Some others may feel different.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Farronwolf, I'm glad it worked out safely for you, and also your family.
    I would not have wanted to give the guy a ride, and that's rough on me because my inclination is usually to help people.

It sounds like although this guy was harmless in the end, he was full of it. Was he ever met by his supposed contact? You don't know, because he said it was "a couple hours from now." His story can't be verified in any way, right?

I take a bit of issue with what you said about him being no threat. Just because he's older and heavier than you are, that doesn't mean he can't plunge a palmed knife into your chest when you've come to a stop somewhere, right? There's a lot of trouble he could cause you in a sudden instant. Even if it's a sloppy attempt doomed to not succeed, he could still make you crash your car at the very least.

Idunno. It's always a tough call; and people who are practiced at this kind of thing make it difficult for good people like us to say no. It's their game. They know the "tricks." It's hard to know which approach to use when you want to decline for your own safety: sometimes you want to seem polite, other times you want to seem like a badass that they shouldn't with. It's like trying to figure out a football defense for an offensive play that is a secret to you. How do you know that you won't gear up for a pass defense when they plan to run the ball?

I favor the approach of questioning him until his answers either make perfect sense or they expose him as being full of crap. If the latter, then I will get indignant, ask him why the hell I should help a guy who won't tell me a straight story (fill it in with, "Why shouldn't I go believing you plan to jack me?!") and tell him he better hit the road hard or there's going to be trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    ... he asks about helping him out with some cash.
    He was FOS. Unverified car out of commission; friend coming in several hours; zero cash. Sort of like Jake Blues' line of excuses ("There was an earthquake. A terrible flood. Locusts ... It wasn't my fault!").

Glad he was benign. Glad it worked out okay.

What a world. Some say, it's what we make of it. But here we are having to be in condition Orange and so concerned over the risks to our families that even what turns out to be a simple helping hand is questioned until we're blue in the face. I'd like to think it's not of our making, being external pressures that have caused the risks to rise, the brutality and mindlessness of some criminals' actions to skyrocket. Sad what it has come to.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Interesting thread! Lots of good responses. I don't have problems like that when I'm home. Could be the my patrol unit parked in the drive, or maybe the 5' chainlink fence with the locked gate-----------or maybe the dogs----------. In my opinion, the best option is a call to your local LE agency to get the gentleman some assistance. Or the proper attention if required. It's sad but true, three out of five times a well meaning individual is going to get burned trying to help a stranger!
    Stay safe,
    str1

Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    Interesting thread! Lots of good responses. I don't have problems like that when I'm home. Could be the my patrol unit parked in the drive, or maybe the 5' chainlink fence with the locked gate-----------or maybe the dogs----------. In my opinion, the best option is a call to your local LE agency to get the gentleman some assistance. Or the proper attention if required. It's sad but true, three out of five times a well meaning individual is going to get burned trying to help a stranger!
    Stay safe,
    str1
    And where do the figures of 3 out of 5 times, come from. And what do you mean by burned. Are you implying that they will be a victim of a crime by the individual or just taken advantage of?

Doesn't LE have better things to do then to respond to call for people needing rides, I sure would be pissed if that was the call I got from the dispatcher every half hour or so.
    That has not been my experience glad to say. Never been a victim when helping some out.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

The three out of five comes from first hand knowledge, thankfully not first hand experience. Having taken reports on enough of these incidents to establish a pretty good feel. I meant at best, they would be taken advantage of, at worst, they would become a victim of a strongarm crime. Anyone who is ligit would be happy having the nice officer give an assist. If this is not an attractive option for them, you have your answer.
    str1
    And no, helping citizens is part of the job. Not as much fun as a felony stop, but still needs to be done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links