Ride or Too Busy

Ride or Too Busy

This is a discussion on Ride or Too Busy within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, I am in the driveway putting a thermostat in my Jeep, it is about 3:00 Saturday afternoon. Wife and kid are in the house ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride or Too Busy

Ride or Too Busy

Ok, I am in the driveway putting a thermostat in my Jeep, it is about 3:00 Saturday afternoon. Wife and kid are in the house taking a nap.
    While working on the vehicle I notice a man walking down our road and keep working. I notice he is taking a turn on the road that my driveway enters, and then starts across the yard towards me. I live at the intersection.

Black male, about 50 or 60, laboring some while walking about 5'10" to 6' and probably 300 lbs. He starts to talk when he is about 30 feet from where I am working. Says he is a retired military, and bad knees, car broke down on a road about 1/2 mile away from my house and he is heading about 1 mile away near the interstate and a major road in our town where someone is going to meet him. He asks me for a ride up the the convience store where he has to meet the person.

I am just finishing up the work to the vehicle, and there are two other vehicles in the driveway and garage.

So, do you give the guy the ride or do you just tell him that you can't right now. Or what do you do?

If I posted this in the wrong area please move it.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

If I really believe him I tell him sorry, I do not give rides to anyone I don't know and I offer to call a cab and pay for the ride for him. I am former military too so I will help out a fellow vet. but I would probably not give anyone a ride and expose myself to a possible robbery just because they say they are a vet. also.

A cab ride just a mile or so down the road isn't going to cost me much.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Good poll material. I think I would give him a ride depending upon his answers to some questions.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    The mention that he is retired military would set me on edge right away. No reason to open with that statement other than trying to play on your sympathies or a sticker he saw on a vehicle.

Of course he has bad knees, he weighs 300lbs.

I may give him a ride. Just to see if he is scamming or not. I would be armed several ways to Sunday. Of course he would need to have a good answer as to why the folks meeting him couldn't drive the extra mile to pick him up...That would be the fun part.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

VIP Member
    What did your gut tell you?

Be kind & polite...until it's time not to be.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

I'd give him a ride.

I normally give them a ride.

Bad habbit of mine that has had me nerviouse a few times.......course that was mostly before I was packing.

There is a new movie out that I probably won't see called "the hitchhiker" or something like that. Prolly have the Jaws effect.....

Anyhows, Just today a past up seldom seen hitcher.....I passed him with a laugh, about the previews to that movie......
    Last edited by crankinNM; February 3rd, 2007 at 06:42 PM. Reason: more though

the hitchhiker is just a remake and its called the the hitcher

Sorry i dont give rides

I would probley give him a ride Think. I would ask him some more questions first.

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Wife and kid are in the house taking a nap. He asks me for a ride up the the convience store where he has to meet the person.
    Those two facts are incompatible, for me. If a plant, you've now been taken out and your family is know known to be unprotected and alone. There's simply no way for you to know this.

At best, I'd hit the speed-dial for the cab company with my cell phone. Since he can't possibly be out of funds, as well, he'll pick up the tab and be thankful for the phone call. At worst, he can call his friend and inform him of the new meeting place: the cross-streets where he's currently standing.

Otherwise, he's going to have to find someone else to assist, as we don't know each other and expecting more than that given the circumstances (my wife/kids asleep inside) is just too much. It's 2007 and stranger things have happened in such apparently-benign circumstances. YMMV.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    It is the wrong answer, but in all honesty I would give him a ride. I'd try to keep an eye on him I suppose, but sometimes you just have to be willing to take a risk.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    FWIW All of us retired military types have a blue ID card. Ask to see it if he is telling the truth on that part. If he was, I would ask him to stay, I go inside and tell wifey to lock up, I'm gonna take MR.??????? where he needed to go. I'll be right back. Don't come out till I get back. Gotta help my kind.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

I would pay for his cab ride.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

VIP Member
    Black, white, purple or glowing green, 8 to 80, male or female the answer would be the same. Wait here outside while I call you a taxi.

The risk factor is high in several of the hot button areas (alone with a stranger, alone with a female, alone with a kid, ect.).

In this case, unless you have a good basis to trust them, just say no.

As for retired military ID cards, mine is green and they are changing to a smart card with photo and a chip without a rank or military affiliation soon, so they are harder to identify as a military ID for security reason, so they would be tough to use as such unless you know what they are.

I agree with helping my own and if I can get a positive ID as a military man, I would get him a taxi and pay for the ride if he couldn't.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps.

The line of hard men willing to rain violence on our enemies so you can sleep warmly and safely in your bed at night continues. That's what we do. Semper fi.

NRA Life Member since 1972

Assistant Administrator
    I think taxi also.

Difficult tho as I am one to wish to help - but add to that with advanced age - suspicious as all get out! I would be packing of course but that is no guarantee.

Much might depend on some casual banter - to further probe the psyche, and even the area could influence a decision but the play-it-safe is IMO - book a cab and make excuses as to why you have to stay home right now.

I think this sits even better in tactical scenarios. Moving .......
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links