Man with a knife... - Page 2

Man with a knife...

This is a discussion on Man with a knife... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; How do you know that he doesn't have another knife or something else on him. Once he commenced the armed attack, he voided his warrantee. ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Man with a knife...

How do you know that he doesn't have another knife or something else on him.

Once he commenced the armed attack, he voided his warrantee. If he turns and runs away, he will probably live to commit felony another day. If he does as I instruct: face down, spread out on the ground, facing away, and doesn’t have even the slightest twitch, he goes to jail. Anything else and it’s God’s problem.

However, while it is probably legally required that I do not shoot him if he runs away, is it morally right??? He has already shown that he is willing to murder for whatever he wants. When (not ‘if’) he kills somebody, I will feel very badly about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball View Post
    I'm just curious to the people that stated more or less that after he threw the knife and kept charging, they would still shoot. My question is what is your reasoning and mainly your statement going to be if a cop/judge asks "Why did you shoot him when he didn't have a weapon anymore?"
    Do not mistake not having that weapon with "not having a weapon." Else, that may be the last mistake you ever make.

In my case, I'm shooting to defend so long as there's a lethal weapon in play or so long as actions consistent with a threat to my life are continuing. The justification at this point should be clear to anyone: there's a lethal threat within yards, and someone who's aggressively threatening lethal harm to me ... visible weapon or not.

The moment the visible weapon has been thrown at me and I register that he no longer has that weapon, I'd force him to the ground to await arrest by police. Were he to actually rush me after having committed attempted murder against me, he's getting dropped as expeditiously as I can achieve it. The justification at this point is simple: He has made an attempt on my life; he sees that I'm armed, but rushes me anyway; thus, I must assume he (a) is likely to still be armed and (b) presumes he can disarm me, at which point I'm at severe risk of death by his hand. That, I will not allow. If afforded the time, I'd offer up quick verbal commands to DON'T MOVE!; DROP THE WEAPON!; DOWN ON THE GROUND, NOW! Like as not, though, his full rush of me would take all of a second or two, and thus would need to be stopped very quickly ... prior to many words getting spoken.

A BG who is prepared to commit attempted murder won't, IMO, stop to think that perhaps actual murder is a very bad thing to do. In the act of rushing me, the only reasonable assumption is that this action/situation is not consistent with anything other than continued threat against my life. He's getting stopped as quickly as I can make it happen. May it be quick, 'cause my life's on the line.

As I see it, the legal standard here is this: Are the attacker's actions consistent with those of someone presenting a direct lethal threat to me; and are those actions inconsistent with anything else? In my opinion, the actions of an attempted murderer rushing me in an apparent attempt to disarm me meets that standard. In spades.

My statement to police? This guy attacked me with a knife, then rushed to disarm me. I feared for my life and shot my firearm to defend against his attack. Here are the weapons; here are the witnesses (if any). I'd be happy to speak in further detail, after speaking with my attorney.

Q-ball: Question for you ... If you just had someone commit attempted murder against you, he then saw you draw your firearm and rushed you in an apparent attempt to disarm you, would you actually let him approach and risk losing your weapon to him? If that occurred, do you have any idea what you might have preferred to say to your family (before being killed, that is)?
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 7th, 2007 at 01:46 AM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    If he's just standing there? Beat feet in the other direction and hope he's not following you.

Actually, if you have the presence of mind, you probably shouldn't take your eyes off of him. But certainly back away as fast as is possible while watching him. If he pulls out another weapon, he gets shot. If he charges me, he gets shot. If he lets me leave, everybody goes home.
    I agree. If he's unarmed after he throws the knife your way and you kindly show him your gun he'll most likely run.
    "Only hits count."
    Jeff Cooper

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Run. Call 911.

No wait...catch the knife and throw it back at him. If he reaches for it again, shoot. I saw this in a movie once.

haha

seriously though. he sees you go for your weap, then throws the knife at you, you sidestep, finish bringing it up, whats he doing immediately following the knife leaving his hands?

can't really say what id do without knowing whats in the guys eyes and body language and actions.

if he just stands there, you gotta take advantage and take control of the situation, assuming a commanding presence and ordering full compliance, placing him in a prone position and getting authorities there asap.

if he goes to run, try the above, he may stop and drop for you, do the world a favor and let the cops get him off the streets.

if his eyes and body betray him as still agressive, drop the cell phone after i hit 911, step backwards into strong weaver, both hands on the tool for control, let the operator hear the situation as i narrate whats happened and whats happening and circle in appropriate direction for clean firing zone if its required.

if he's reaching for another knife or another weapon....well, after you reload, call 9-11, blah blah feared for my life blah blah shots fired blah blah lawyer blah address, name, im not feeling good, im just gonna set the phone down, im not gonna hang up, if you dont mind....

imho, armed robbers are looking to prey on the weak. if you demonstrate weakness, ie run, he's gonna retrieve his weapon and give chase. then, you're MORE likely to have this escalate into something regrettable as now, he doesnt think you'll shoot him.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Do not mistake not having that weapon with "not having a weapon." Else, that may be the last mistake you ever make.

In my case, I'm shooting to defend so long as there's a lethal weapon in play or so long as actions consistent with a threat to my life are continuing. The justification at this point should be clear to anyone: there's a lethal threat within yards, and someone who's aggressively threatening lethal harm to me ... visible weapon or not.

The moment the visible weapon has been thrown at me and I register that he no longer has that weapon, I'd force him to the ground to await arrest by police. Were he to actually rush me after having committed attempted murder against me, he's getting dropped as expeditiously as I can achieve it. The justification at this point is simple: He has made an attempt on my life; he sees that I'm armed, but rushes me anyway; thus, I must assume he (a) is likely to still be armed and (b) presumes he can disarm me, at which point I'm at severe risk of death by his hand. That, I will not allow. If afforded the time, I'd offer up quick verbal commands to DON'T MOVE!; DROP THE WEAPON!; DOWN ON THE GROUND, NOW! Like as not, though, his full rush of me would take all of a second or two, and thus would need to be stopped very quickly ... prior to many words getting spoken.

A BG who is prepared to commit attempted murder won't, IMO, stop to think that perhaps actual murder is a very bad thing to do. In the act of rushing me, the only reasonable assumption is that this action/situation is not consistent with anything other than continued threat against my life. He's getting stopped as quickly as I can make it happen. May it be quick, 'cause my life's on the line.

As I see it, the legal standard here is this: Are the attacker's actions consistent with those of someone presenting a direct lethal threat to me; and are those actions inconsistent with anything else? In my opinion, the actions of an attempted murderer rushing me in an apparent attempt to disarm me meets that standard. In spades.

My statement to police? This guy attacked me with a knife, then rushed to disarm me. I feared for my life and shot my firearm to defend against his attack. Here are the weapons; here are the witnesses (if any). I'd be happy to speak in further detail, after speaking with my attorney.

This was the answer I was looking for. Wasn't trying to flame anybody...

>>>Q-ball: Question for you ... If you just had someone commit attempted murder against you, he then saw you draw your firearm and rushed you in an apparent attempt to disarm you, would you actually let him approach and risk losing your weapon to him? If that occurred, do you have any idea what you might have preferred to say to your family (before being killed, that is?)

No. That would be my answer at the initial reading of the scenario. I just wanted to know what others statements were and their line of thinking. Broadens the mind....
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links