Man with a knife...

Man with a knife...

This is a discussion on Man with a knife... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I man is 30 feet away from you and pulls out a knife and starts to threaten you. You begin to go for your concealed ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Man with a knife...

I man is 30 feet away from you and pulls out a knife and starts to threaten you.

You begin to go for your concealed gun. He sees this and throws the knife at you before you can get your gun out. You now have to stop drawing your gun and move to avoid the knife.

The knife misses you and the man is still standing there with his hands empty and in site.

What do you do?
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7340 View Post
    You now have to stop drawing your gun and move to avoid the knife.
    Movement and the draw are not mutually exclusive. Quite the opposite really, they should go together whenever possible. At least half of my draws in dry-fire practice involve a step to the left or right. In a tactical situation you should always move when you draw, unless you're drawing from behind cover.

The knife misses you and the man is still standing there with his hands empty and in site.

What do you do?
    Gun is out (low ready, finger in register). Keep watching the guy except for a quick glance behind be to make sure he doesn't have a buddy and look for some what I can get the hell out of here.

If he produces another knife, I might shoot him right then, since he's shown a willingness to use knives as a ranged weapon. Whether or not I shoot him really depends on my perception of his ability (basically how close his first knife trick came). If he's good enough to be a threat at that range, he's going to get shot.

If he just stands there, I'm going to be looking for a way to disengage and get out of there.

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    If he's just standing there? Beat feet in the other direction and hope he's not following you.

Actually, if you have the presence of mind, you probably shouldn't take your eyes off of him. But certainly back away as fast as is possible while watching him. If he pulls out another weapon, he gets shot. If he charges me, he gets shot. If he lets me leave, everybody goes home.

Administrator
    I'm hopping aboard the nike express outta there.

Reread Bob the great's post, it will save me some typing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Bob The Great View Post
    If he pulls out another weapon, he gets shot. If he charges me, he gets shot. If he lets me leave, everybody goes home.
    Ditto
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Run. Call 911.

No wait...catch the knife and throw it back at him. If he reaches for it again, shoot. I saw this in a movie once.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Bob The Great. Actually, if you have the presence of mind, you probably shouldn't take your eyes off of him.
    providing the knife didn't hit you in the first place? exactly... don't take your eyes off him. you still have the chance to avoid the situation, and call the cops. I'd get out and tell my friends of the *&#$@ situation i just had - over a few beers.
    What's this button do?

I man is 30 feet away from you and pulls out a knife and starts to threaten you. He ... throws the knife at you ...
    He just committed attempted murder. I have witnessed it. He's going to jail.

I would likely already have shot to stop his further actions, but let's start the scenario at the point of his raising his empty hands. At the moment when recognition of his empty hands set in, I would hope to stop shooting. His hands may be empty, but it's not possible to know if he's unarmed. I assume armed. He will comply with my demands to get on the ground, be quite, remain prostrate, eyes away from me, hands out/up. He will stay prostrate and immobile while we await police. If he gets up to come at me, that action will get stopped immediately and forcefully. While he's still breathing and not in police custody, he's an active lethal threat and must be treated as such.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

pull while moving, gain distance why stand there waiting his next move its harder for him to counter your movement.

Move off the axis, draw the gun and if he continues to attack shoot him!
    MNBurl

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton.

I'm just curious to the people that stated more or less that after he threw the knife and kept charging, they would still shoot.

My question is what is your reasoning and mainly your statement going to be if a cop/judge asks "Why did you shoot him when he didn't have a weapon anymore?"
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball View Post
    I'm just curious to the people that stated more or less that after he threw the knife and kept charging, they would still shoot.

My question is what is your reasoning and mainly your statement going to be if a cop/judge asks "Why did you shoot him when he didn't have a weapon anymore?"
    My answer to that question will ALWAYS be, "Sir, I was in fear for my own life or that of another."
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    My answer to that question will ALWAYS be, "Sir, I was in fear for my own life or that of another."

+1 on that. That is the right answer.

Step right, draw and fire 2 rounds in BG's chest. End of story..
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Senior Member Array ElMonoDelMar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Q-ball View Post

I'd say it's because the man already tried to kill you once with a weapon and now he's charging you. He might have another weapon or he might be trained by Bruce Lee. Put him down and call the cops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links