Defensive Carry banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

6K views 67 replies 44 participants last post by  RETSUPT99 
#1 ·
I was at the range tonight for a practice match, and heard something disturbing from the range officer who works at the range/store. Seems like a group of local hoodlums has worked out a system of 4 of them following a person home who's been shooting at the range. Last night this happened to a friend of the range employee - guy pulls into his driveway, and a car screeches in behind him blocking the exit. 4 young black males (could be teenagers or older), all armed, jump out and surround his car. They pat him down, take his wallet/keys/phone etc and also got several firearms that were in his car that he'd been shooting at the range. According to the way it was told, these criminals have it practiced down well, and knew to pat him down in all of the places where one might have a concealed pistol. Luckily they did not continue the robbery and force him into his own house as well. The way it was told, they followed this guy from Apopka to Casselberry, which is some distance through city traffic, so they went to some trouble to target this particular guy. A store/range employee may have had a run-in with the same bunch a week or two ago, when a car on a busy main road (Colonial Dr) stopped in front of him at a red light and two guys jumped out and advanced towards him with bats. The range guy apparently drew down on them, and the criminals jumped back in their car and sped off (through a red light to get away).

If you're in Orlando FL or in central FL, the car used last night was a green honda of some type (accord? don't remember and in any event this was 2nd and 3rd hand, and the car could easily have been dumped by now). So, be careful out there. The MO sounds a lot like the IHOP armed robbery that happened a week or two ago, with at least 4 robbers suddenly converging SWAT style on their target. It's hard for me to see how one CCWer could handle a bunch like this, unless you had enough warning to just avoid the situation. Once the 4 of them have the drop on you...

See less See more
#43 ·
All I've seen thus far is confirmation via hear say that same was heard elsewhere.
I don't understand why it is I can't find any reference to this event in the local news crime blog and it's not in the local po-po reports either.

- Janq

#42 ·
that's a kinda scary scenario. The BG's clearly planned it out, to block in the victim's vehicle and have him seated and at a disadvantage. I wonder if they were armed?

I too always carry my pistol loaded and at my side on the way to and from the range. Carry ammo is expensive anyway, so other than making sure it feeds reliably, I don't shoot very much of it. That's what target ammo is for.

#44 ·
It probably didn't happen, but made a fine hypothetical scenario. It probably should have been presented as such. Instead of fanning fears using a claim that this actually happened, the originator of the story should have either come right out with a link we could use to verify it, or posted it as a "what if?" story.

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#45 · (Edited)
WELL IT DID HAPPEN!! Local news reported another related story today and mentioned these same guys are believed to be responsible for the recent robbery of a man in his driveway who was apparently followed home after leaving a local gun range. They went on to say he lives in Oviedo, FL and the sub division. It is right down the road from me. This, as the saying goes is REALLY too close to home. I'll be much more careful about who might be tagging along, when I return from a trip to range , or anywhere for that matter. There is only ONE way in and ONE way out of this neighborhood and we are not far from the police station. These guys were very bold. Heard this on the radio this am on the way to work. check out www.local6.com.

#47 ·
Finally useful information to search against; 'Oviedo, FL'

As reported by WFTV.com...

Men Followed From Shooting Range, Robbed Of Guns

POSTED: 11:45 am EST February 8, 2007
UPDATED: 5:27 pm EST February 8, 2007

OVIEDO, Fla. -- Oviedo police think two people may have been followed home and robbed after they left a local gun range. The man and his friend were robbed in the driveway of a home on Lullwater Drive in the Kingsbridge West subdivision on Sunday.

The victims later confirmed with detectives that three of the young men were the suspects who showed their faces on in-store surveillance video.

Police agree the attack was brazen, because it seemed planned and it means two more powerful handguns are on the street.

Neighbors were still talking, Thursday, about Sunday afternoon's brazen driveway robbery.

"There were three police cars there and sort of an orangey, maroon colored Porsche pulled into the driveway at an angle," said neighbor Ben Bowles.

"It seems like crime is coming in here and we don't like that. I hope this is just an isolated incident," said neighbor Fima Tolentino.

Police said the robbery seemed rehearsed.

"As far back as I can remember, this is the first time we've had anybody robbed for their guns at gunpoint," said Det. Adam Egert, Oviedo Police Department.

There are shooting ranges all over Central Florida, but the victim and his friend left one in Apopka on Sunday afternoon after two hours on the range. While in the store, they noticed four young men.

The victims later confirmed with detectives that three of the young men were the suspects who showed their faces on in-store surveillance video. One suspect could be identified by his heavy chain, a chain the victim saw again in his own driveway.

"They were in their driveway for a matter of minutes when a green Honda pulled up," Egert said. "When they got out of their car, they put their guns right to their faces."

After the heist, the suspects fled in a bluish green, mid-90s model Honda Accord with tinted windows. The traumatized victims noticed one suspect was even on his cell phone as they drove away, but they didn't get a tag number.

The stolen semiautomatic handguns are a .45 caliber Kimber, worth $1,200, and a .40-caliber Sigsauer, which gun shops sell for about $600.

Meanwhile, neighbors in the well-heeled enclave admit their comfort zone has suddenly gotten a lot smaller.

"Maybe we should have a community watch association," Tolentino said.

The story can be found at; http://www.wftv.com/news/10963235/detail.html#

- Janq

#50 ·
Well-heeled lady believing a Neighborhood Watch Assn would cure the ills said:
"It seems like crime is coming in here and we don't like that. I hope this is just an isolated incident," said neighbor Fima Tolentino. "Maybe we should have a community watch association," Tolentino said.
... then they can watch it happen, same as the victim. With no further intel on the crime than the victim had. A Neighborhood Watch group would have no effect against a smash-and-grab type of crime like this. They'd be better off hoping for the isolated incident, but taking actual, effective preparations against such attacks.

#51 ·
I, too, thought it was funny that yet another idjit is suggesting a nice, PC, people-friendly non-solution to the problem. :rolleyes:

Hey lady, why not take up a collection and make sure that everyone in the neighborhood who doesn't have a cellular phone with 911 on speed dial can get one free from a charity fund?

Neighborhood Watch?! Does anyone even really believe that those things amount to anything more than just a few signposts on the sidewalks? There speaks a woman who does not have the will to take back her safety from the criminals. She just wants to be able to tattle to the police and hope they stop the criminals.

#54 ·
Immediate Action!

- guy pulls into his driveway, and a car screeches in behind him blocking the exit. 4 young black males (could be teenagers or older), all armed, jump out and surround his car.
I think the trigger for an immediate action drill (Infantry response to a near ambush) would be the screeching car blocking my exit.

That'd be my clue to instantly drop it into reverse (assuming for some reason I hadn't backed in as is my habit) and stand on the accelerator...before anybody can fully exit the car......Once I make the strike I don't just stop, I try and shove their car out into the road or against a tree or something. That takes the momentum and element of surprise from the attackers :blink: and gives it to me. As I exit my vehicle, I hit my car alarm panic button to add to their confusion. :gah: If it's dark out, I draw my surefire as I draw my weapon and seeking cover use the Harries Flashlight technique that seems to work best for me in low light situations, to spot the attackers. By SPOT I mean just that. Use the flashlight in bursts of light rather than one continuous beam. I have a 3 cell 9P model with the ultra high output bulb. You catch that in the eyes on a dark night and you'll be near blind for a good long time. :congrats:

I actually have practiced this scenario (without drawing the weapon so as not to alarm the neighbors) so I know how FAST I can exit MY vehicle in an emergency. Plus I usually BACK into my driveway, which is even better for this scenario. :hand5:

Hopefully, before I get home I'll have spotted the tail. I've done it before. When I was a Parole Officer I caught one of my "clients" tailing me from the office trying to get my home address. I kept noticing the same set of headlights making the same turns and so I just led him right to the Police Station where the cops were waiting.:boese51:

Reactions: BenGoodLuck
#61 ·
Neither of the links seem to be working. My thoughts on this are if it's happened twice from the same range, check the employees. This sounds suspiciously like a case where the employee is scoping out potential victims and then signalling his gang.

Whether this really happened or not, I think the possibility of this scenario happening provides a lot of food for thought on situational awareness and how to prepare for potential trouble. I like the suggestion of turning a few times in a low traffic area to verify whether you're being followed. Also, going to a public parking lot and seeing if anyone approaches is a great idea.

I also agree with the poster who suggest using your car as a weapon to escape. Your vehicle is 2,000 + pounds of energy and power. Most people seem to forget that in a life and death situation, your car may be your best weapon and means of escape.

#57 ·
Good point ExSoldier

I think one thing to keep in mind is that one gun (or two if you want to do it movie style) against for guys coming from behind is not an ideal situation. If you are still in your car, you have a weapon that claims more lives then guns each year. It also causes enough confusion and moves you (harder target to hit) at the same time. Having 4 guys, two on each side if they are smart, pointing guns on you does not give much options for a shoot out (particularly if you are wearing a seatbelt). A car can get you out of the way quicker in many situations plus has a lot more force than a .50BMG, much less a .45 ACP.

#58 · (Edited)
WOW, that is twice from the same gun range. Leesburg is LONG way to follow someone from Apopka, just as it was to travel from Apopka to Oviedo. These guys are good just at doing that. Seems they also are well rehearsed in how they carry out their attacks. I know if 4 black guys follow me to my driveway, they are not coming to sell girl scout cookies. Taking on 4 armed BG's who have the surprise element in their favor is a rather tricky endeavor. They are making this habit and someone with BIG cajones is going to take them on at some point. They can't stay so lucky if they keep targeting gunowners who PRACTICE.

Crimewatch, a joke. It is exactly that, they just watch as crime happens. Obviously that won't do much. Doubt these guys would have turned around and run, upon spotting a CRIME WATCH sign at the entry to the neighborhood.

I DO like the gun ports idea. Perhaps we should do like the Swiss , and require every male to have a gun and crap load of ammo.

#60 ·
Once again we must stay with basics and IMO stay alert, simlar thing happened to my wife and I several years but it turned bad for the three in there car. In currant times there are many looking for a free lunch and want what they are to lazy to work for. I'm not saying be afraid, use those mirrors and your gut feeling, be safe.

#67 ·
Well since this thread is bumped... :wink:

This is one reason I pay attention to people following me when driving. Especially when getting closer to my house. If there is a car I have noticed following for quite some time I will make a few extra turns and to around the neighborhood. If still following me I will call cops or head towards the closest police station. Or call my buddies and have them ready with their guns :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.