Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters - Page 2

Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

This is a discussion on Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Perhaps it's time to develop some tactics for exiting the range. Whether you think you're being followed or not, go someplace public first. Park in ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Perhaps it's time to develop some tactics for exiting the range.

Whether you think you're being followed or not, go someplace public first. Park in the remote section of a parking lot. See who follows you in, and if they approach you. If so, move out, call 911, rendezvous with LEOs at another lot. Don't lead them to your home.
    BenGoodLuck and darbo like this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I guess this is a good reason to keep shooting on private property and not at a local range.

Although the range I shoot at that is public is way in bfe and only one road in or out, so you would surely know if someone was following you.

Probably won't be good for business at the range there though.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    1) How many times have you seen someone at a range, shoot ALL their ammunition. Not leaving ANY for the trip home?
    The last step in any of my visits to the range is always to load my mags back up with carry ammo. A BG who comes after me on the way back from the range is going to get shot with the good stuff.
    Last edited by Blackeagle; February 6th, 2007 at 11:52 AM.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

Early retirement

BG's targeting people who not only own guns, but actually practice with them??? Generally, career criminals aren't very smart, but these guys are trying out for 'Dumbest Criminals' awards. I hope some one gives them a very special early retirement, and soon.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

This brings two things to my mind:

1) How many times have you seen someone at a range, shoot ALL their ammunition. Not leaving ANY for the trip home?
    I have made that point to a couple of shooting buddies. One of them saw me unload a magazine and leave the ammo under the foam insert of my gun case and asked why. He has since started doing the same.

I live on a quiet road, in a quiet neighborhood, in a quiet town. It is so easy to slip into a lesser state of awareness simply due to the environment. I find myself at times absorbed in to the task that I am at when at my home.

Senior Moderator
    The shift report from yesterday is now available on the Seminole County Sheriff's website. There is no mention of an armed robbery.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Yeah, this is some scary stuff. Not much you do, when they drive up and surround you, as you are seated in your car. Total disadvantage in that position. I'll be sure take more notice as I'm heading back from a trip to the range. I ALWAYS have a loaded gun in the car with me, in fact more than one. Orlando has been getting to be less and less safe, no matter where you might be. BGs can be anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    The shift report from yesterday is now available on the Seminole County Sheriff's website. There is no mention of an armed robbery.

Matt
    Can't really argue with you, other than to wonder if this did happen. Maybe a few days ago? Do you know how to access Orange Co Sheriff report? I couldn't find anything on their website. Maybe it happened in Orange Co despite my mention of Apopka/Casselberry? Could be bs too, but the store owner telling us this was awfully convinced. I can't figure why he'd tell us that (about someone he says he knows) if he didn't think it was true. It sure didn't help his business - I belong to a private club range too that's locked up and I usually go there w/o worrying about this kind of thing. I go to this guy's range every once in a while for a practice IDPA style match, but this has me at least thinking about not going for a while (this range isn't in the best part of town, not the worst but not real great).

Senior Moderator
    Maybe it did happen in Orange, or perhaps it was inside the city limits and was handled by the city PD, although Seminole County's helo and / or K9 usually go for things like that.

Still, an interesting thread - and something we definitely should be considering when we go to the range.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

There is no informationtoward as much either with the local newspapers crime blotter; http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/new...l_orlandocrime

I'd like to see evidence of this in the news so that I might pass it on as information to others in that zone.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

me
    Some may think that is what I have done. I usually take out (at this time) 7 rounds from a new box prior to even going to the range these are in my watch pocket. When you see me leave you wont know that 6 of these are loaded into my carry piece and not yet a round chambered while it is in my range bag. When I get back to the car it is immediatly chambered and the mag topped off and gun holstered.

Last time I was out at the range my carry piece had an unfortunate jam I could not clear (my friend was shooting and cleared it improperly causing the brass to get stuck in the barrel) while at the range. We had already spent all the .38 so I stopped on the way home at a gun shop and picked up a box for the .38 so I could have a CCW. Next time I will have dad leave the .38 and .357 carry ammo for me when he lends me them for the range.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    BG's targeting people who not only own guns, but actually practice with them??? Generally, career criminals aren't very smart, but these guys are trying out for 'Dumbest Criminals' awards. I hope some one gives them a very special early retirement, and soon.
    That was my first thought when I read this post. It doesn't make any sense to me that BGs, regardless how dumb they may be, would target someone who they know is armed.

Ron

Well, just HOW dumb a BG could be would never cease to amaze me.
    LOTS of dummies out there.

I've seen a few shooters use up their ammo and then put the gun back in the box it came with. After that robbery of a shooter in Apopka they had better have a ccw gun and be a bit paranoid. If the shooter had been alert he might have foiled the robbery. I wasn't there and can only guess as to the out come.

In addition to keeping ammo for the ride home, I will exhort all to always have a fully charged weapon on their person that is not going to be used for shooting at the range (except in SD emergency). There is no hallowed ground / safe sanctuary from the bad guys. I either have a Walther in my coronado leather vest or a 642 in my front pocket. And on cold days, I have em both. And that does not count the one I am shooting (IWB 3:30)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links