Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters - Page 3

Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

This is a discussion on Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tom G I've seen a few shooters use up their ammo and then put the gun back in the box it came ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    I've seen a few shooters use up their ammo and then put the gun back in the box it came with. After that robbery of a shooter in Apopka they had better have a ccw gun and be a bit paranoid. If the shooter had been alert he might have foiled the robbery. I wasn't there and can only guess as to the out come.

Well said. I never use my carry ammo at the range. When I go to my car I always reload my gun for the drive home. I just can't go with out my guns being ready to go. We can only guess what might have happened here had he been carry a loaded gun. Always have to be ready for anything.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Tag to see if this is legit or not. I have a contact at both those ranges to verify. I'll be giving him a call tomorrow.
    Mighty HD

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty HD View Post
    Tag to see if this is legit or not. I have a contact at both those ranges to verify. I'll be giving him a call tomorrow.
    Please do. I think the range in question was Shoot Straight Apopka, I heard of it at East Orange Shooting Sports.

Interesting story. Good advice about always being aware of your surroundings. I never shoot all my ammo when I go to the range. I always reload my ccw before I leave the range. I will carry extra clips for the ccw, and put aside the carry clip when I get to the range to put back in when I am leaving.

SY

When I'm shooting (even if it's just with my friends informally in the woods) I always have one gun that stays on my person, never gets fired that trip, and stays ready. You just can't ever tell whats going to happen.

Example: last year 3 of us were out plinking into a hill side. A couple mountain bikers stopped on their trip and the one guy asked if he could shoot a pistol a couple times because "His wife wouldent let him have one anymore" We made a character judgement, and lent the guy a handgun with 5 rounds in the mag and gave him some ear protection. I looked around as he took the line, and noticed the other two guys with me both had their hands casually resting on their CCW guns.

Good fellas
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    In addition to keeping ammo for the ride home, I will exhort all to always have a fully charged weapon on their person that is not going to be used for shooting at the range (except in SD emergency).

That's what I've always done -- kept one gun with which to defend my life, and the other guns.

I guess I just assumed that the wisdom of doing this had occurred to everyone . . .

Originally Posted by sojourner
    In addition to keeping ammo for the ride home, I will exhort all to always have a fully charged weapon on their person that is not going to be used for shooting at the range (except in SD emergency).
    If I'm at the range shooting my CCW gun I've decided to always keep one mag loaded and off to the side. That way if some bit of improbabilty strikes just after I've emptied my other mags I'll have one to ready to go.

I made that decision yesterday when I realized that after emptying all four mags and with my other gun that trip already put away after having all of it's ammo used up I had just disarmed myself.

That hollow feeling I felt in the pit of my stomach just then was nature telling me to wise up and have a better plan. And I'm angry at myself that it took numerous trips to realize this. Sometimes I'm about as sharp as a potato.

Confirmed this did in fact happen. They also have video of the folks, good descriptions, and will be locked up in a few days.
    Mighty HD

Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    If I'm at the range shooting my CCW gun I've decided to always keep one mag loaded and off to the side. That way if some bit of improbabilty strikes just after I've emptied my other mags I'll have one to ready to go.

I made that decision yesterday when I realized that after emptying all four mags and with my other gun that trip already put away after having all of it's ammo used up I had just disarmed myself.

That hollow feeling I felt in the pit of my stomach just then was nature telling me to wise up and have a better plan. And I'm angry at myself that it took numerous trips to realize this. Sometimes I'm about as sharp as a potato.
    I drop the mag from my carry pistol and set it off to the side too. When I'm done shooting range ammo, it goes back in, press check, holster and leave.

Has anyone confirmed this yet?

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren View Post
    I had that feeling when my carry piece went down on the range with a jam I needed pliers to clear. We had already shot all of the .38 rounds when my carry gun jammed. I stopped on the way hometopick up a boxof.38s since dad handed them to me w/o carry ammo. Next time taking the carry ammo as well.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    that's a kinda scary scenario. The BG's clearly planned it out, to block in the victim's vehicle and have him seated and at a disadvantage. I wonder if they were armed?

I too always carry my pistol loaded and at my side on the way to and from the range. Carry ammo is expensive anyway, so other than making sure it feeds reliably, I don't shoot very much of it. That's what target ammo is for.

Quote Originally Posted by ayan View Post
    Has anyone confirmed this yet?
    All I've seen thus far is confirmation via hear say that same was heard elsewhere.
    I don't understand why it is I can't find any reference to this event in the local news crime blog and it's not in the local po-po reports either.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    It probably didn't happen, but made a fine hypothetical scenario. It probably should have been presented as such. Instead of fanning fears using a claim that this actually happened, the originator of the story should have either come right out with a link we could use to verify it, or posted it as a "what if?" story.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

WELL IT DID HAPPEN!! Local news reported another related story today and mentioned these same guys are believed to be responsible for the recent robbery of a man in his driveway who was apparently followed home after leaving a local gun range. They went on to say he lives in Oviedo, FL and the sub division. It is right down the road from me. This, as the saying goes is REALLY too close to home. I'll be much more careful about who might be tagging along, when I return from a trip to range , or anywhere for that matter. There is only ONE way in and ONE way out of this neighborhood and we are not far from the police station. These guys were very bold. Heard this on the radio this am on the way to work. check out www.local6.com.
    Last edited by sass20485; February 8th, 2007 at 06:01 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links