Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

This is a discussion on Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was at the range tonight for a practice match, and heard something disturbing from the range officer who works at the range/store. Seems like ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

Orlando FL - Armed robbers target shooters

I was at the range tonight for a practice match, and heard something disturbing from the range officer who works at the range/store. Seems like a group of local hoodlums has worked out a system of 4 of them following a person home who's been shooting at the range. Last night this happened to a friend of the range employee - guy pulls into his driveway, and a car screeches in behind him blocking the exit. 4 young black males (could be teenagers or older), all armed, jump out and surround his car. They pat him down, take his wallet/keys/phone etc and also got several firearms that were in his car that he'd been shooting at the range. According to the way it was told, these criminals have it practiced down well, and knew to pat him down in all of the places where one might have a concealed pistol. Luckily they did not continue the robbery and force him into his own house as well. The way it was told, they followed this guy from Apopka to Casselberry, which is some distance through city traffic, so they went to some trouble to target this particular guy. A store/range employee may have had a run-in with the same bunch a week or two ago, when a car on a busy main road (Colonial Dr) stopped in front of him at a red light and two guys jumped out and advanced towards him with bats. The range guy apparently drew down on them, and the criminals jumped back in their car and sped off (through a red light to get away).

If you're in Orlando FL or in central FL, the car used last night was a green honda of some type (accord? don't remember and in any event this was 2nd and 3rd hand, and the car could easily have been dumped by now). So, be careful out there. The MO sounds a lot like the IHOP armed robbery that happened a week or two ago, with at least 4 robbers suddenly converging SWAT style on their target. It's hard for me to see how one CCWer could handle a bunch like this, unless you had enough warning to just avoid the situation. Once the 4 of them have the drop on you...

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Oh my - that is serious! I can well see how folks could be targeted too.

I guess one major deal is to be VERY aware of who might be following and maybe even keep more than a handgun at hand!!! Better still - strength in numbers and have two folks travelling together ( or more).
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Sounds like a case of condition white to me. A vehicle is not a cocoon. One still must maintain good SA at all times. Getting followed home is not smart.

There is always a ring leader. If the SHTF, shoot him first and hope the others will run.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

This is too close to home. I shoot at the Apopka range. Theres been a lot of this crap lately. I sure am sorry the victim lost his guns and wallet. Sure glad the BG didn't get into his house or get access to his family. Orange county cops need to get these BG before they kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    This is too close to home. ...
    Amen to that. I like to think that I'm quite anonymous and harmless looking, and the thought of being specifically targeted for a violent crime rattles me. Not so much the getting robbed part but thinking of being at home and my wife being in danger also. Most of the scenarios I've played through in my mind have been of the sort where appearing harmless will give me those couple of extra seconds to produce a self-defense weapon in time to stop things. With this MO it doesn't seem likely to me that they will run across an armed citizen who will get the drop on them, and it may take some sort of lucky break for the police to get them.
    84160 likes this.

it may take some sort of lucky break for the police to get them.
    This is the perfect scenario for a sting operation by the Police.
    tcox4freedom likes this.

If they would keep the BG in jail instead of using the revolving door policy it would cut down on a lot of crime. It makes no difference if it is a teenager or not. A teenager can cause as much damage as an adult and should be treated as one.
    hogdaddy and 84160 like this.

Orlando...

I used to think of Orlando & 'Mickey'...now it's more like Orlando & 'Goofy'...

My son lived in Orlando for a couple of years, and I never liked that place...but it does grow more dangerous by the day.

Now my son is in Gainesville, and I'm nearby...but we too, are starting to have a few more problems up here...

Stay armed...stay very alert...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If they would keep the BG in jail instead of using the revolving door policy ...
    There's a lot of that going around. Here, as well. Stupifying to believe that armed robbers can get back on the streets in weeks, if "worse" felons cross paths with the sheriff/police in that span of time. Not enough beds at the jails for all the criminals passing through.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Thanks for the heads up as I shoot at these ranges. Noticing a following car is not so hard in the daytime, unless the follower is a real pro, but in city traffic at night it's a whole lot harder. A series of turns in a low traffic area is one way if you're suspicious. I'm liking Orlando less all the time.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    ...I guess one major deal is to be VERY aware of who might be following and maybe even keep more than a handgun at hand!!! Better still - strength in numbers and have two folks travelling together ( or more).
    Excellent advice!

Senior Moderator
    Strange that there is nothing on the Seminole Sheriff's website about this, although the daily report from yesterday is not on the website yet.

If you're interested in events in Seminole, check out http://www.seminolesheriffnews.org/. All of the department's press releases are there, along with the prior day's shift report and booking reports.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by xsquidgator View Post
    ... guy pulls into his driveway, and a car screeches in behind him blocking the exit...
    I'm surprised this hasn't made the news.

VIP Member
    This brings two things to my mind:

1) How many times have you seen someone at a range, shoot ALL their ammunition. Not leaving ANY for the trip home?

2) Everybody needs to pay more attention while driving. (For me this part is easy, I drive a pickup that is high & easy to see from. My journey home from working is long, about an hour. It's also on a sparsely traveled road. If someone's following, it's very easy to tell. Plus I keep a truck gun, usually a long gun/shotgun.)
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I guess one major deal is to be VERY aware of who might be following and maybe even keep more than a handgun at hand!!! Better still - strength in numbers and have two folks travelling together ( or more).
    Strength in numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Sounds like a case of condition white to me. A vehicle is not a cocoon. One still must maintain good SA at all times. Getting followed home is not smart.
    Its easy to go white out in the boonies like me - great reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    Noticing a following car is not so hard in the daytime, unless the follower is a real pro, but in city traffic at night it's a whole lot harder. A series of turns in a low traffic area is one way if you're suspicious. I'm liking Orlando less all the time.
    I'd guess the tactic won't take long to migrate to other cities either. I'm liking DFW less and less nowadays!

If they would keep the BG in jail instead of using the revolving door policy it would cut down on a lot of crime. It makes no difference if it is a teenager or not. A teenager can cause as much damage as an adult and should be treated as one.
    YEP!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links