Lock Bumping

This is a discussion on Lock Bumping within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Thanks for the info guys! My safes have the dial combination locks. The dial also can be locked with a key. Just another little something ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lock Bumping

Thanks for the info guys! My safes have the dial combination locks. The dial also can be locked with a key. Just another little something to make it take more time to break in. Of course other than weighing 600# they are bolted to the floor and wall. Guess mine are about as hardened as I can get them-------------unless there's something else I need to know?
    str1

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    Interesting! Could you expand on that?

str1
    Don't get me wrong... Safes are great deterrents, but that is exactely what they are...
    Give a determined criminal a sledgehammer, a chisel and a pry bar and they will get into most commercial gun safes with a little work.

Most of the safes on the market have a 12 gauge steel body... It doesn't take much to get through steel the is only a tenth of an inch thick.

A friend of the family had a break-in by a fugitive several years ago. He did construction work and had tools in his garage. The fugitive used the tools that he found to break into the gun safe and made off with over a dozen firearms.

I will try to find the article online and I will post it tomorrow.

A lot of people seem to misunderstand the purpose of a safe. No safe is impenetrable, a criminal with the right tools and skills can open it given enough time and effort. The purpose of a safe is to buy time. Indeed, that's exactly how safes are rated: how much time it takes a criminal with certain tools and skills at his disposal to get it open. In other words, the people who manufacture and rate safes expect criminals to be able to break into them.

In order for a safe to be truly effective you need to be able to detect that someone is trying to open it and for some sort of response to get there before the burglars can get the safe open (of course, you also need to make sure they don't just cart the entire safe out before the response gets there). Without some sort of detection and response a safe is only going to be effective against amateurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    A lot of people seem to misunderstand the purpose of a safe. No safe is impenetrable, a criminal with the right tools and skills can open it given enough time and effort. The purpose of a safe is to buy time. Indeed, that's exactly how safes are rated: how much time it takes a criminal with certain tools and skills at his disposal to get it open. In other words, the people who manufacture and rate safes expect criminals to be able to break into them.

In order for a safe to be truly effective you need to be able to detect that someone is trying to open it and for some sort of response to get there before the burglars can get the safe open (of course, you also need to make sure they don't just cart the entire safe out before the response gets there). Without some sort of detection and response a safe is only going to be effective against amateurs.

Very well worded! and as in anything, you also get what you pay for!

The better locks(read: more expensive) are more bump resistant. No lock is fool proof. I encounter broken locks, stuck locks, locks without keys, sabotaged locks, etc. I can gain entry in every case if given enough time and permission to damage the lock.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links