Fast food drive thru

Fast food drive thru

This is a discussion on Fast food drive thru within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okso I have been thinking about this alot lately and wanted to pose it here to find out what other folks do. I have been ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fast food drive thru

me [OP]

Fast food drive thru

Okso I have been thinking about this alot lately and wanted to pose it here to find out what other folks do.

I have been noticing that when I go through a drive thru lately find myself leaving much more space betweenmy car and the car infront of me than I need to. I started to do this after thinking about what I would do if a car pulled up in a position to block me from leaving. Now for me there is very little "danger" I have no known enemys in the area and the area is generally safe. But my normal run to the fast food joints is between midnight and 1 am most nights. I find my situational awareness tobe very high and I ALWAYS leave myself a way out.

Do others do this as well or am I just being paranoid?

Oh I am without a firearm since I am at college and can not have one here.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    One of the things I was taught in training is not to pull up closer than where you see the vehicle's tires meet the road. That should give you more escape room.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

In this time when car jackings are popular it is always wise to leave yourself room and keep the doors locked. If someone attacks while you are in the car it is always better to drive away if you can.

VIP Member
    I leave a lot of room also at railroad crossings.

Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    I have been noticing that when I go through a drive thru lately find myself leaving much more space betweenmy car and the car infront of me than I need to. I started to do this after thinking about what I would do if a car pulled up in a position to block me from leaving.
    Leaving some space between your car and the previous vehicle is definitely a good idea in case anything should happen. Unfortunately, many drive thrus are constructed so that once you order, you can't get out of line. Often these are just curbs, which you could drive over in an emergency (my life is worth more than my car's undercarriage). Sometimes, however, they are more substantial barriers, like walls or a row of parked cars. In these situations, leaving space is not necessarily going to allow you to get out of there.

Oh I am without a firearm since I am at college and can not have one here.
    Well, in the drive-thru situation, at lest, you have a far more powerful and deadly weapon than a handgun at your command. You just have to activate it using the accelerator rather than your trigger finger.

I leave a lot of room at all times - in lines, RR's, in traffic too. Tends to irritate tailgaters, but at lights it's important, IMHO.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Now for me there is very little "danger" I have no known enemys [sic] in the area and the area is generally safe.
    Implying only those with known enemies are at risk? Bad mistake! Given that crimes of opportunity occur all the time, and many of those to the average Joe who isn't thinking he's being targeted. Do not ever be lulled into believing you're safe simply 'cause you are in a "good" area, or are "doing nothing wrong." If something goes down, you'll get snapped in a crack fairly quickly, that way. Be prepared ... always. Always.

It's that brief period during which the average Joe traditionally relaxes and lets his guard down that presents the "best" opportunity for a strike. Simplest defense: don't do that. Assume anyone within 30yds might ultimately present a threat, and consider the plan for dealing with it. Should it work out that way, deal with it rapidly and decisively. Screwing around at this point can get you stuck.

... thinking about what I would do if a car pulled up in a position to block me from leaving.
    When in a publicly-accessible and -visible area for drive-through service [ie restaurant, bank ATM, or even just hanging in traffic], I try very hard to do the following:
    • Avoid putting the car in neutral/park; windows are up (tinted) and doors are locked.
    • Leave as much space between me and the car ahead as I'm able.
    • Continuously scan for changing risk factors, including inbound pedestrians, cars.
    • Wear darker glasses (sunglasses, wrap-around if possible), to mask the fact that I'm incredibly aware of what's going on around me.
    • Realize that I'm in a 3600-lb AWD battering ram, if need be. A single car may or may not present a danger, as you can go the other way. Two cars working in concert present an immediate and deadly threat ... so, treat it as such by immediately leveraging the hunk of metal you're sitting in, costs be damned. Just get out of there.

With practice, this sort of heightened awareness becomes a part of you. It's only stressful for the first few months you switch into this gear; after that, it's simple to maintain.

Note: I have withstood two attempted car jackings in this manner. One, I saw coming. The other happened so quickly and was attempted by multiple BG's such that I wouldn't have had a chance to defend ... had my windows/doors not been locked. I simply drove away, quickly. No worse for the wear. A third instance was on a crowded two-lane road that had just popped out of the hills and approached a stop light. A driver in a car 50ft ahead of me was exceedingly agitated at having been stuck behind me for so long. I thought he would explode at any moment, exiting the car and rampaging in my direction. Had he done that, I had made sure to have plenty of space around my car, such that it could be used to defend if need be. Had he been jacked up on another gram of whatever he was popping, that likely would have happened.

There are tactical/defensive driving courses available, should you desire to get some skills in this area.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; February 11th, 2007 at 12:41 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I think it's sensible to at least leave space in front of the car in case you had to escape by driving away. Here in Orlando we've had a recent rash of armed robberies and the like (some targeting people who were shooting at the range - different thread), so even though it POs people around me, I do it anyway. 9999 times or more out of 10,000 it won't matter, but it will matter GREATLY if someone actually does try to rob or assault you. From what I've read on this and similar forums, if someone is trying to attack you in this situation, you need to GET AWAY first. If the other guy has a firearm, distance will be your protection, normal automobiles offer about zero protection from bullets. http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/thebuickotruth.htm

This used to irritate my wife and her friends, who would make snide remarks like "what are you afraid of, trunk bombs"? Let 'em laugh at my paronoia if they wish, I look at it as a sensible precaution to take along the same lines as wearing a seat belt or having a home burgular alarm.

Now for me there is very little "danger" I have no known enemys in the area and the area is generally safe.
    At one time I thought I had no known enemies, until I found out that someone was getting a contract on my life... things change really fast.

Just another reason to go CCW.

Now I see another danger of reading this forum; it makes you think.

I have always done the opposite at drive throughs. I have pulled as close as possible to the window in order to close up any room a bad guy would have to get to the drivers side window.

I have, however, been leaving room between me and the car in front.

I felt that someone blocking me in from the side wouldn't be a big problem because they would be in very good position to be shot through my passenger side window.

But I guess if they have superior firepower and I am blocked in, I could be toast.

Maybe I'll have to ponder this a little.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I leave plenty of room between my truck and the car in frount of me. I always keep an eye on the cars in frount and back of me. Most of the time I don't worry about it unless the hour is late or it is an out of the way place.

I Do Think About An 'Exit'...

when in traffic. At a light, I do try to keep back far enough to see the tires on the car in front. My wife and I both do this. In fact, if one of us should have a memory lapse, the other will ask..."Can you see the tires?"

Good Habit!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

me [OP]
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Implying only those with known enemies are at risk? Bad mistake! Given that crimes of opportunity occur all the time, and many of those to the average Joe who isn't thinking he's being targeted. Do not ever be lulled into believing you're safe simply 'cause you are in a "good" area, or are "doing nothing wrong." If something goes down, you'll get snapped in a crack fairly quickly, that way. Be prepared ... always. Always.
    I was not meaning to imply that nothing will happen since it is a 'good area" and i dont have known enemys. More so just as background that I do not know myself to be targeted in any way.

I had thought about the fact that I am in a huge battering ram and would have no problem using it if needed.

Thanks for the real world advise, I am always willing to learn.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

a little space does never hurt ;)
    "Only hits count."
    Jeff Cooper

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

The biggest problem in this scenario is that:

1. You are willing traveling during the wee hours.
    2. You are eating fast food (Didn't you see Super Size Me)?
    America should have license to carry "children" laws...

Mooo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links