Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart

This is a discussion on Wal-Mart within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; So yesterday I'm going to wal-mart with my wife - not carrying (CA, my guns aren't legal here) but aware and ready to stomp someone ...

Thread: Wal-Mart

Wal-Mart

So yesterday I'm going to wal-mart with my wife - not carrying (CA, my guns aren't legal here) but aware and ready to stomp someone if necessary.
    It was a newly built-up area, seemingly on the upper end of things, but i wasn't convinced. I don't trust very easily. anyways, as we're walking up to the massive entrance area, some kid - probably 14-17 - carrying a black box (10x15x20 or so, plastic) comes up to us from the front and says he's trying to raise money to keep kids off the street and from being addicted to drugs and alcohol etc... and is something or other about Six Flags and blah blah "can i show you what i've got?" "no, you can't" i say and keep walking inside with my wife on my arm but looking back and aware.
    first of all, i don't donate to anybody, no matter what. I'm active duty and do enough donating with my body and my life to even think about passing out cash.
    second, all i could think was "why don't parents keep kids off the streets and from being addicted to drugs and alcohol etc.." i know its a little cold, but that's how i feel.
    on the way out of the store about 45 minutes later, kid is still out there (dressed like a shotgun could be in his pants and you wouldn't know it. size 5xl shirt, with about 3 more shirts or something on, and some huge baseball hat all crooked. he could have concealed a gun in his hat!) and his apparent partner-in-fund-raising is out there too, talking on his cell phone and hangs up as my wife and i walk out and tries to ask us something or other. i said "no thanks" firmly and angled away.
    As I'm getting to my truck out in the parking lot, i notice weird-creep-kid number 1 is following some lady out to her car and talking to her while she loads groceries in her trunk. i eyeball him hard to see what he's doing - ready to go help the old lady if it seemed necessary - while i get my wife in the truck and get in myself. she ended up handing him some money, he never opened up his box. as i start my truck to leave he walks over to my window like i'm going to donate him some money or something. my window is up and door locked and i said "get away from my truck" and drove off.
    obviously these "kids" were "raising" money by intimidating and harassing people...is this a crime? what do you do about stuff like this?

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Best thing to do is notify the store manager and let him deal with it. There is a chance they are legitimate. If they are not, I suspect the store manager will notify LE.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Call the manager and tell him what you saw. As the mgr of a retail store we get requests for groups to try and fund raise all the time. Sounds to me the mgr of this store does not need this group acosting his customers.
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    obviously these "kids" were "raising" money by intimidating and harassing people...is this a crime?
    "Strong arm robbery"
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

there was a legal case in Philadelphia where a family were poised over multiple intersections. their "charities" changed to meet the circumstances. they held cans to collect money for one reason or another. ...this was their day job and they lived off it. it did not take too long for them to be removed as a "scam". even made the papers. those phony kids were loitering at least and did not have permission to be there. your feelings were rights and those are the only things to be trusted.
    What's this button do?

Those kids were probably buying drugs and alchohol with the money the people gave them. You are correct many folks will give money in the thought it will make them go away, I say it is a good way to get robbed!! I grew up in CA. left there 11 years ago at the age of 29, I can say it is totally different depending on where you live. I now live in Mayberry RFD, seriously, and a kid walking up to me at WalMart would not threaten me, but of course they wouldn't be dressed like they came out of the hood either. It's funny how different events in different parts of the country can promote different responses. I believe in CA. they are suppose to have a license to panhandle, so calling the store manager or the local PD should run them off.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

+1 contact store manager

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    "Strong arm robbery"
    Around here if you want to raise fundsd out side a store, they have rules:

You can be there by previous agreement with management only
    Strict FROM-TO Time is set to allow other their fair share of time
    Must have a card table with a sign to show who money is for
    A parent MUST be present at all times.

If not, they are asked to leave NOW. Cuts down on that crap.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
    I now live in Mayberry RFD, seriously, and a kid walking up to me at WalMart would not threaten me, but of course they wouldn't be dressed like they came out of the hood either.
    Trust me, the "hood" is coming to the country soon. Many "utes" have bought into the hip-hop thug mentality....including the some of the rural kids.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

I live about 45 minutes outside Phila. less then 2 miles from where the amish school house shootings took place. AS a former c/o in the local county prison I used to see the inner city kids coming thru the system all the time, and it only seems to be getting worse because they think that us simple country folk are easy marks for cons and scams. what they dont realize is the good old country boys are farmers and hunters and are used to dealing with predators!!!!

Theres a lot of scams out there. I don't give to anyone unless it's a Fireman or a Shriner.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Theres a lot of scams out there. I don't give to anyone unless it's a Fireman or a Shriner.
    I also give to my local vets...
    "May God have mercy on my enemies, because I won't."
    General George Patton

I Have Been In A Similar Situation...

Quote Originally Posted by briansmech View Post
    +1 contact store manager
    And I made a special trip back in to the store and spoke with the manager who DID call the police...
    The little 'angels' were not asking for money, but were playing another game...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sponsored Links