So the BG is aming at you 'sideways'--Defensive thoughts?

This is a discussion on So the BG is aming at you 'sideways'--Defensive thoughts? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ditto...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So the BG is aming at you 'sideways'--Defensive thoughts?

ditto
    "Only hits count."
    Jeff Cooper

Guns don't kill people. Chuck Norris kills People.

2. Remove Ads

Move in the direction of the top of the slide. Gangstas have poor trigger control and will jerk it upon firing, moving the gun to the right of the gangsta. Try it once at the range. Hold the gun sideways and jerk the trigger. The gun will probably move away from the slide towards the grip. This might create the 2" you badly need to get to cover after he misses.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

A couple of years ago I wondered about this, so I set up a course of fire for one of our local shoots to test it. I used two, six-shot, rapid-fire strings at five yards. The first string was shot with a conventional one-handed hold, and the second string was shot gangsta style.

Just about everyone did better using the conventional hold. However, most of us did surprisingly well shooting gangsta style. When shooting gangsta style, the first couple of rounds would strike pretty close to center of mass, and subsequent rounds would start to string out to the left (for a right-handed shooter). This was apparently due to shooters not being able to recover from recoil as well with the gun held sideways.

So, just because someone holds a gun sideways, donít assume heís not going to hit you, because he very well may.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Administrator
    I know I am going to start a stink storm here, but it is taught by some in CQB shooting to come out of the holster and shoot with a slight cant to the gun. It’s more natural, and provides a stronger one handed grip. This is only for CQB, and I do find it a little easier to get quick accurate point shooting hits this way.
    Now I'm not talking sideways, like the thug style, but just a slight angle, no more the 45 degrees.

I know its unconventional so go ahead, flame away.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 12th, 2007 at 03:18 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

SIXTO, that is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard!! How dare you advocate someone shooting like that !!

(the above was an obvious joke, since NO ONE can tell you what would "work for you" and your comments and experience are invaluable and a real good reason for this Board. So that you can share and others can see "what worked for you" in your experiences)

What you said sounds reasonable. Perhaps many here will try it and, if it works and improves their draw, will incorporate it into their policies and practices. Thanks for sharing. (no one will flame you for sharing what has worked for you, it just might make a difference for someone here in a real situation where speed and accuracy is improved)

Joe L

SIXTO wrote:

I know I am going to start a shoot storm here, but it is taught by some in CQB shooting to come out of the holster and shoot with a slight cant to the gun. Itís more natural, and provides a stronger one handed grip. This is only for CQB, and I do find it a little easier to get quick accurate point shooting hits this way.
    Now I'm not talking sideways, like the thug style, but just a slight angle, no more the 45 degrees.
    Youíre right about this. When shooting around cover, I usually ďrollĒ my gun out around the edge in order to expose less of myself to a potential adversary. This works very well at close to moderate ranges. In experimenting with this, Iíve found you can shoot very effectively at angles up to about 45-degrees. At angles greater than that, it starts to become harder to manage recoil.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Ill shoot him back " cop style " . He most likely wont hit me that way but i worry about who is to the side and behind me . Note Six i belive that is an outgrouth of the old israilie draw where they would rotate the pistol sideways and rack then back up to shoot since early on israil had such a mish mash of hanguns from various sources any other manual of arms ( such as useing safetys ) was impossible to teach everyone they wanted to arm . They did not howeaver teach " gangsta glock " that is pure hollywood lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Administrator
    I dont know where the method I mentioned came from, but I do know that it works.
    Yes, the gangster method is directly from MTV and hollywierd.
    "Just blame Sixto"

This is probably not a person who has trained with his firearm. It is very likely his finger is on the trigger and the safety is off. No matter what you do or don't do, you may be shot at any time, and just as likely the shooter will be as suprised as the shootee (you). The only thing worse than a BG pointing a gun at you is an idiot BG pointing a gun at you.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

the military teaches shooting rifles sideways for the situation of having to shoot with a gas mask on because of the canister in the way. granted, that's a two handed weapon, but the recoil is harder to control sideways.
    What's this button do?

Agreed Harold Green and I do in fact shoot with a cant when shooting with my right hand while I shoot straight up and down with my left.
    It cracks me up how people pay so much attention to this shooting at an angle/cant or even flat thing.
    What does it matter how the BG aims his gun at you? It's not like doing so will make the gun not aim or fire.

The bottom line is he's holding the gun and you're looking down the barrel.
    React and act accordingly.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Agreed Harold Green and I do in fact shoot with a cant when shooting with my right hand while I shoot straight up and down with my left.
    It cracks me up how people pay so much attention to this shooting at an angle/cant or even flat thing.
    What does it matter how the BG aims his gun at you? It's not like doing so will make the gun not aim or fire.

The bottom line is he's holding the gun and you're looking down the barrel.
    React and act accordingly.

- Janq

Yup, that was my point in posting the off camber technique. No matter the angle, a bullet is heading your way.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Moove is as important as shooting at that point. If not more.
    "Guns arenít toys! Theyíre for protecting your family, hunting dangerous or delicious animals and keeping the King of England out of your face!"
    -Crusty the Clown

Keep your booger hook off the kill switch 'till you bead the boogeyman!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
    Moove is as important as shooting at that point. If not more.
    Yup. If at all possible, move! It takes longer for him to re-act than for you to act. Hard to know what is going on in their empty heads and hearts. Usually they know looking down the pipe is enough for most people to freeze and do what they say. But up/down/flat whatever, I don't want to be looking down the pipe at all.

P.S. Does the 45 degree style make you a 1/2 ***** gangsta?!

At the ranges mentioned he'd still be a threat even if all he had was a pointed stick, so no I am not comforted by how he holds his gun (unless it is backwards).

Now if I am 30 feet out I must admit I'd feel a bit more comfortable ducking from a "gangsta" than from somebody who new where the sights on his gun were. Not much, but some. Maybe even enough to keep me from soiling my drawers while diving for cover.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links