Defensive Carry banner

So the BG is aming at you 'sideways'--Defensive thoughts?

3K views 30 replies 26 participants last post by  TwistedMonkey 
#1 ·
If in any given confrontation with a BG, say 15-20 feet, and he's pointing his weapon at you SIDEWAYS (gangsta style).

Does this give you confidence that you can better run to cover? Or perhaps this person has 'trained' himself to shoot this way? Or is this more scary than a proper shooting stance :rolleyes: for some reason...

Anyway just wondering if theres reason to have more confidence in such a situation. Try to run?

#8 ·
Anyone pointing any weapon at me capable of sending a harmful projectile at me, and I am trying to find cover, draw, get sight acquisition and lookin for a new pair of skivvies. I don't care how its held, or if its a bb gun, crossbow, or .50 Desert Eagle. If I take the time to notice how it's being held, I'm behind the learning curve in a class I don't wanna fail.

#9 ·
Is it a Glock & does he have these installed:

#10 ·
Pointing A Gun (Any Style)...

At someone may be hazardous to your health...
Find cover...protect yourself...:wall: :bigun2:

You MAY fear for your life and be forced to stop the threat!

ret:urla9ub:

#11 ·
I was at the range and saw some thug lookin guys next to me shooting gangsta style. Of course, my initial thoughts were these guys are probably some of the many gang bangers our city has. I recently saw a DVD that will be released about an Omaha record company I think... they have footage on the clips for it showing shootings happening, and people at the range shooting their guns. So trust me, thug criminals are NOT stupid. They practice their shooting, and they do practice it gangsta style.

And to top it off, they are more likely going to be a lot cooler in the situation than you will be, as I am sure it won't be the first time they've experienced it.

If someone points a gun at me, regardless of how it's held.. I'm either shooting or running for cover.

#12 ·
... he's pointing his weapon at you SIDEWAYS (gangsta style) ... just wondering if theres reason to have more confidence in such a situation.
Wouldn't change much. I'd assume he had a far lower competence with a pistol than the average person, but that wouldn't amount to much if caught cold at 15ft. Everything would depend on the situation's details: did he have the attention span of a newt; was there cover nearby; was my family with me; how quickly could I bring my weapon to bear, if an opportunity presented itself; etc. Without knowing anything else but the fact that he's decided that "going horizontal" is the cool thing, I don't think much else can be assumed.

#15 ·
well, in general i would prefer to be shot at in that manner than in the conventional, correct way. but that is pretty small comfort. but i would much much prefer not to be shot at at all....
i think we should encourage gang members to shoot like that, however. personally, i have enough trouble hitting things using the weaver stance and the sights. anything that makes them less likely to hit breakable stuff is probably a good thing.
i also agree with the comments to the effect that such a person is probably calmer than you will be. videos of shootings often show gang members acting almost without expression- "stone cold" comes to mind. it is difficult for any normal person to survive such a fight while maintaining a human value system.
God Bless

#17 ·
Move in the direction of the top of the slide. Gangstas have poor trigger control and will jerk it upon firing, moving the gun to the right of the gangsta. Try it once at the range. Hold the gun sideways and jerk the trigger. The gun will probably move away from the slide towards the grip. This might create the 2" you badly need to get to cover after he misses.

#18 ·
A couple of years ago I wondered about this, so I set up a course of fire for one of our local shoots to test it. I used two, six-shot, rapid-fire strings at five yards. The first string was shot with a conventional one-handed hold, and the second string was shot gangsta style.

Just about everyone did better using the conventional hold. However, most of us did surprisingly well shooting gangsta style. When shooting gangsta style, the first couple of rounds would strike pretty close to center of mass, and subsequent rounds would start to string out to the left (for a right-handed shooter). This was apparently due to shooters not being able to recover from recoil as well with the gun held sideways.

So, just because someone holds a gun sideways, don’t assume he’s not going to hit you, because he very well may.

#19 · (Edited)
I know I am going to start a stink storm here, but it is taught by some in CQB shooting to come out of the holster and shoot with a slight cant to the gun. It’s more natural, and provides a stronger one handed grip. This is only for CQB, and I do find it a little easier to get quick accurate point shooting hits this way.
Now I'm not talking sideways, like the thug style, but just a slight angle, no more the 45 degrees.

I know its unconventional so go ahead, flame away.

#20 ·
SIXTO, that is the most ridiculous thing that I have ever heard!! How dare you advocate someone shooting like that !!

(the above was an obvious joke, since NO ONE can tell you what would "work for you" and your comments and experience are invaluable and a real good reason for this Board. So that you can share and others can see "what worked for you" in your experiences)

What you said sounds reasonable. Perhaps many here will try it and, if it works and improves their draw, will incorporate it into their policies and practices. Thanks for sharing. (no one will flame you for sharing what has worked for you, it just might make a difference for someone here in a real situation where speed and accuracy is improved)

Joe L

#21 ·
SIXTO wrote:

I know I am going to start a shoot storm here, but it is taught by some in CQB shooting to come out of the holster and shoot with a slight cant to the gun. It’s more natural, and provides a stronger one handed grip. This is only for CQB, and I do find it a little easier to get quick accurate point shooting hits this way.
Now I'm not talking sideways, like the thug style, but just a slight angle, no more the 45 degrees.
You’re right about this. When shooting around cover, I usually “roll” my gun out around the edge in order to expose less of myself to a potential adversary. This works very well at close to moderate ranges. In experimenting with this, I’ve found you can shoot very effectively at angles up to about 45-degrees. At angles greater than that, it starts to become harder to manage recoil.

#22 ·
Ill shoot him back " cop style " . He most likely wont hit me that way but i worry about who is to the side and behind me . Note Six i belive that is an outgrouth of the old israilie draw where they would rotate the pistol sideways and rack then back up to shoot since early on israil had such a mish mash of hanguns from various sources any other manual of arms ( such as useing safetys ) was impossible to teach everyone they wanted to arm . They did not howeaver teach " gangsta glock " that is pure hollywood lol .

#24 ·
This is probably not a person who has trained with his firearm. It is very likely his finger is on the trigger and the safety is off. No matter what you do or don't do, you may be shot at any time, and just as likely the shooter will be as suprised as the shootee (you). The only thing worse than a BG pointing a gun at you is an idiot BG pointing a gun at you.

#26 ·
Agreed Harold Green and I do in fact shoot with a cant when shooting with my right hand while I shoot straight up and down with my left.
It cracks me up how people pay so much attention to this shooting at an angle/cant or even flat thing.
What does it matter how the BG aims his gun at you? It's not like doing so will make the gun not aim or fire.

The bottom line is he's holding the gun and you're looking down the barrel.
React and act accordingly.

- Janq

#28 ·
Moove is as important as shooting at that point. If not more.

#29 ·
Yup. If at all possible, move! It takes longer for him to re-act than for you to act. Hard to know what is going on in their empty heads and hearts. Usually they know looking down the pipe is enough for most people to freeze and do what they say. But up/down/flat whatever, I don't want to be looking down the pipe at all.

P.S. Does the 45 degree style make you a 1/2 @$$ gangsta?! :rolleyes:

#30 ·
At the ranges mentioned he'd still be a threat even if all he had was a pointed stick, so no I am not comforted by how he holds his gun (unless it is backwards).

Now if I am 30 feet out I must admit I'd feel a bit more comfortable ducking from a "gangsta" than from somebody who new where the sights on his gun were. Not much, but some. Maybe even enough to keep me from soiling my drawers while diving for cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.