Mall shooting poll

This is a discussion on Mall shooting poll within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Sixto, truth is nobody who hasn't faced it will know until it goes down how they'll react. I've been in the middle of screaming crazy ...

View Poll Results: What is your response to a mall shooting when you're close?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Family first - this is not my fight

45 20.74%
  • I can't sit by and let a nut job shoot people

86 39.63%
  • I can't sit idly by and let a terrorist shoot people

45 20.74%
  • No engagement unless directly targeted - immediate bug out

27 12.44%
  • No engagement unless directly targeted - sit tight and observe

9 4.15%
  • Engage while retreating - tactical bug out

20 9.22%
  • Engage at first / best tactical opportunity - ambush

67 30.88%
  • Engage with total war - damn the torpedoes

9 4.15%
  • Other - tell us your plan

11 5.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mall shooting poll

Sixto, truth is nobody who hasn't faced it will know until it goes down how they'll react. I've been in the middle of screaming crazy people and know how I'LL react and I darn well don't trust anyone else!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array hsuCowboy98's Avatar
    If with family, tactical bug out

If alone, At first/best opportunity will engage. Depends on what I'm carrying as well.
    Fear No Evil.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Guys , something to think about Re. engagement is that you do not necessairly have to even hit the shooter , just make him realise he is being fired on and take cover , from cover he will likely be fairly harmless ( or at least more harmless than he is roaming the mall at will ) . If he can be bottled up you save lives and swat can root him out . If you choose to take action on a situation like this keep in mind that you are doing so at considerable risk both from the shooter and from responding LE . With innocents down dead , and screaming LE will not take a lot of time to id who is the bad guy before they dump anyone who is armed . At first sight/sound of responding officers put any weapon down in plain sight and move away from it . Chances are some citizen cellphoned them with your discription and the fact you are shooting . Communicate with the officers but above all obey them without complaint . You likely will not be seen as anything but the shooter at first , and if you do not immediatly comply with them are likely to face rather severe response . You want to go home when its over , and that likely will involve some times proned out in cuffs .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    I was just talking to a retired police chief who has been in situations involving fights and shooting with his family around.

He stated if worry about your family there dead and so are you.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

He stated if worry about your family there dead and so are you.
    Damm i am glad he is retired then . You should insure the safety of your family first , then if you choose to involve yourself commit totaly to the involvement . IMHO you cannot commit to resolving the problem if your family is possibly still in the line of fire .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

Quote Originally Posted by stoneypete View Post
    In my state I'd be committing a crime to engage the perp unless my life was in immediate danger. In fact if I was to get my family out and then return to the scene, I can practically GUARANTEE the idjits who run this state would prosecute me more aggressively than the perp. I could even see them offering immunity to the perp if he testified against me.

YMMV, but I don't feel obligated to spend the next 20 years in jail protecting the that will more than likely testify against me.
    Agreed.

As sad as it is this is stone truth. ^^

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If possible you will want to send the family out a safe door or to a safe place of cover. I would need to engage if possible. As noted, the off duty officer had managed to pin down the shooter until more officers arrived. If this had not happened, a lot more people would have probably died. Also noted was that the officer did not have any spare ammo and was limited to the rounds in his weapon. This can really raise the pucker factor. Reports are now out that the shooter was muslin. It is still unknown if it was a terrorist attack or a wacked out teen.

One news report stated that he challenged the shooter before opening fire. This is very typical of the police training in the past but needs to be reviewed in light of this type of incident for the future. If he had not challenged the shooter, could he have gotten a clear shot and ended the incident sooner? With an active shooter hunting hid prey, I believe that an ambush with no warning is justified.

If you have not yet tried force on force training with airsoft or simulations, you need to do so. This training will make the blood pound and is as close to actual combat as you can get in training. We have done active shooter training with my church security team and it gets very real when you respond to an event. Also do not wear so much protection that you will not feel the sting of the airsoft pellet.

Unfortunately, this will most likely not be the last incident of this type.

Jackj Sadly my opinion is thatit is only beginning , we will see more shootings in almost any public venue , with malls and schools taking the forefront . Folks who do this type thing may be insane or a terrorist , but never count them as stupid . They will go exibit force where it is least likely to be repelled . and dead children are headlines.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
    One news report stated that he challenged the shooter before opening fire. This is very typical of the police training in the past but needs to be reviewed in light of this type of incident for the future. If he had not challenged the shooter, could he have gotten a clear shot and ended the incident sooner?
    Yes, this is still typical of police training. Its a case of the lawyers running the show. Nothing ever good comes out of that. I train this way for an active shooter... Bang bang bang, sir drop the weapon please, bang bang bang, sir I asked you to please drop the weapon, bang bang sir, do you need medical attention? bang.
    Ok, not really quite that bad, but you get the idea.
    "Just blame Sixto"

ROFLMAO I just know that cannot be true .. No responsible trainer would post that on a public forum if they did ... I am certin you take a social worker with your point man to see to it this poor unfortunate person's needs are met before anything bad happens .

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    ROFLMAO I just know that cannot be true ...
    You busted me... but it was funny anyway.
    "Just blame Sixto"

lol there are certin PUBLIC standards you know , i just had to call bs where i see it LOL

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    The current social reality we deal with is that you are far more likely to end up in legal trouble, with the media demonizing you (or at best contemptuously ignoring you) for acting with a handgun to "save the day."

You'd probably be portrayed on the evening news as a loose cannon who risked everyone's lives even if you act heroically and infallibly and save the day.

Given that lots of people, and media, and police agencies, and pundits, are responsible for the climate that looks down upon civilian defensive action, they have forced me to look after myself and my own before ever considering altruistic acts.

Therefore, I have to say that I would probably take my family into a defensive retreat. This is not my fight, and the fault for making me unwilling to step in and try to save innocents lies squarely on those who have demonized the concept of armed personal defense.

Gone are the days when you could stand up and fight evil and expect that the community would rise up behind you and defend your decision. So since the public now clamors for THE POLICE to do the protecting EXCLUSIVELY, then the public doesn't get my offer of help anymore.

If the opportunity presented itself, I would stop the BG.
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Long gone are the days that you will be considered a positive factor in a shooting .

That being said , I wouldnt invlolve myself to be positive . The only way i will be involved in any shooting that " he " dont shoot on me first is my personal moral code ... Rule one here is you dont shoot kids , rule two is ( i know its not pc but... ) you dont shoot women . If you want to beat hell outa your girlfriend ... well; i will call 911 on your happy butt and be a good witness ... but when you start shooting then if i cannot kill you someone will .

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links