Mall shooting poll

This is a discussion on Mall shooting poll within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'm pretty much a wimp, and I have absolutely no desire to be involved in a firefight, nor stick around when some idiot's ricocheteing bullets ...

View Poll Results: What is your response to a mall shooting when you're close?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll
  • Family first - this is not my fight

45 20.74%
  • I can't sit by and let a nut job shoot people

86 39.63%
  • I can't sit idly by and let a terrorist shoot people

45 20.74%
  • No engagement unless directly targeted - immediate bug out

27 12.44%
  • No engagement unless directly targeted - sit tight and observe

9 4.15%
  • Engage while retreating - tactical bug out

20 9.22%
  • Engage at first / best tactical opportunity - ambush

67 30.88%
  • Engage with total war - damn the torpedoes

9 4.15%
  • Other - tell us your plan

11 5.07%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mall shooting poll

I'm pretty much a wimp, and I have absolutely no desire to be involved in a firefight, nor stick around when some idiot's ricocheteing bullets off the walls. Everyone else has the same right to self defense I have. You didn't bring a gun to a gun fight? Too bad, I'm not taking a bullet for you. I'm getting the **** out of dodge as quickly and as safely as possible. I have no pretenses about my abilitys (or lack of abilities), and I have no desire to be a hero. My 9mm is for me to defend my family and myself. And who'se to say that an undercover cop in the mall might not shoot me as well if I open fire. No thanks.

If the fellow is actually shooting at me, I'll shoot back, and I won't miss. I have no desire to do so, however
    Nick
    He who fights and runs away lives to fight another day

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Me and mine...first...tatical escape, if possible...

If directly targeted...ALL H**L wil break loose...(from cover, of course).
    I would above all protect me and mine FIRST. If confronted on the way out, I would do my best to stop the BG while protecting family. Because of lawyers and guaranteed law suits against you, I would NOT go back in, stay out and be a good witness for LEOs.
    If alone, I would stay inside, help others get out, and be a good witness and if the BG came by my way, then they would go no further.

Engage at first / best tactical opportunity - ambush other wise get the heck out of dodge

I had to choose "other" just because I think a couple of the answers would go through my head. "Family First!" but once I knew they were safe, or if I were not with my family... if I had an opportunity to stop a nut-job or a terrorist from harming or killing other innocents, I would like to believe that I would try to stop him/her if I could.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

A lot of "ifs" here. Protecting family would come first, get them out of the line of fire as quickly as possible without exposing them or myself. If a clear shot presented itself, take it. If directly attacked, it's empty the magazine COM, reload, repeat. If not directly attacked, once the family was safe, I like to think I would go after the BG, but that's easy to say sitting here at my keyboard. I'm pretty good at punching holes in paper, but the paper isn't shooting back. And, shooting the wrong paper is not an issue. There are just so many ways this situation could go bad even if you try to do the "right" thing.

Ron

I voted other.
    Protect my family 1st and foremost.
    If my family is with me I will get them to a safe place if possible.
    If I was there alone, I would like to think I would stop the shooter if possible?
    I have never been in a gunfight, but I have been in a non-criminal life and death situation in which people were hurt bad, bad deadly S*** was happening and people died. I was in it, and I understand tunnel vision effect, and I did help some people, but I still sometimes think about what more I could/should have done to save some more lives. I will never know if I could have done more to save someone. Hard to say for sure.

Family first. If the opportunity presents itself, take the shot.

Brian

I voted other; I would send the family in the opposite direction of gun fire with her cell phone stuck in her ear dialing 911 and let her give the story to the dispatcher:
    What is going on
    Where I am and my discription so the police would have an idea what was going on and not to shoot me.

Depending on available COVER maybe move toward the threat and shoot him as many times as it took. If at anytime police arrived, holster my gun or follow their directions.

If you have not had extensive training I would recommend that you take the family and evade and keep your gun holstered unless you were placed in a situation where you had to defend your family and self.

If something goes wrong, you represent a lot of CCW people and the news could be devistating.
    Ken Forbus Owner of FIREARMZ
    FIREARMZ FORUM

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Links