"Knockout"

This is a discussion on "Knockout" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Mod's this isn't really a scenario, although I guess it could be, but move it to where y'all see fit. I just think this is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Knockout"

"Knockout"

Mod's this isn't really a scenario, although I guess it could be, but move it to where y'all see fit. I just think this is something people should probably be made aware of.

Apparently there is a new "game" in central Ohio called "knockout", where groups of young thugs walk up to random people on the street, and punch them in the face trying to knock them out. It has been brought to light because a man was killed when he was punched and hit his head on the ground.

http://nbc4i.com/midwest/cmh/news.ap...2-16-0010.html

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Two teenagers entered a plea deal in connection with the death and robbery of a man outside a local bar. The teens were officially sentenced on Friday.

According to court documents, four teenagers were playing a game called knockout when 43-year-old Terry Ward was punched outside the Blueberry Hill bar in September. Ward was killed in the attack, NBC 4 reported.

Officials said the game begins when a group of people approach an unexpecting stranger and one of the people punches the person in the face as hard as they can in an attempt to knock them out.

Detectives were able to arrest four people and charge them in connection with the death.

Charged were 13-year-old Doug Bailey, 14-year-old Joshua Connally, 15-year-old Elijah Nichols and 18-year-old Emmanuel Jackson.

Bailey pleaded guilty to felonious assault on Friday. He was released and put on house arrest.

Connally pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to a year in juvenile detention.

Both deals require the teenagers to help prosecutors in the case against Nichols and Jackson.
    So, obviously, don't be in condition white, don't let young thugs sneak up on you, or surround you. Don't walk alone, maybe, but there isn't too much to do to defend against this.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Condition yellow should help, seeing it coming help alot. Thanks for the heads up, this is a real concern.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    So, obviously, don't be in condition white, don't let young thugs sneak up on you, or surround you.
    You pretty much summed it up right there. Try to avoid walking through groups of people who are approaching you shoulder to shoulder. I'll happily step off into the street, or turn a corner to let them pass by.

I think this is a scenario, personally. A hard punch can do some serious damage, not to mention falling on your head afterwards. That counts as deadly force to me. As far as defending against it, you're right, once the attack has started, you're pretty much boned. It's all in situational awareness, and avoiding being targetted in the first place (just like everything else).
    Last edited by Bob The Great; February 16th, 2007 at 07:21 PM.

These kids are lucky they didn't try this on someone with a CCW and end up getting a 230 grain counterpunch. Four against one would definitely qualify as a sufficient disparity of force to call for a lethal response.

I would think that this scenario is one of the worst that a CCL holder can face. Should the attack be countered with a firearm, the ages of the thugs coupled with their use of only fists would most certainly draw the most extreme criticism for the CC'er.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I hope they come across the right "victim" one day.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    I hope they come across the right "victim" one day.
    You mean the type that used to be a Boxer or Marine when they were the same age as the thugs..

In my happy place I do one of these when a pensioner drills their fists into the face of punks that try this on them...

Administrator
    They may look human - walk like humans and smell like humans but, they sure aren't human.
    Be careful out there folks.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I asked my 14 year old boy if he had heard any kids talking about doing this kinds of stuff in his school, and he said, "Not really."

Asked him what "not really" meant, and he said a few of the troublemakers liked to talk about wanting to sneak up on people and bean them on the noggin, but it's not happened in our area so for now its just kids talkin' tough. My fear is when the talk stops being enough.

Whatever happened to knocking a few mail boxes off their posts? You know it took so little for us to be entertained as kids
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I would think that this scenario is one of the worst that a CCL holder can face. Should the attack be countered with a firearm, the ages of the thugs coupled with their use of only fists would most certainly draw the most extreme criticism for the CC'er.
    Yes and if you had been punched it is too late. Best to avoid places were this action takes place when alone. Most likely this activity is at night and in seedy parts of town.

No self-respect
    No respect of others
    No fear
    No care
    No worries
    NO Crap.....It is very sad what our society is turning into & it will not get better until we take it back.
    Everyone be safe........

When they are arrested and sent to jail...they can play "knockout" with their new prison buddies....but me thinks they will be on the recieving end...

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    When they are arrested and sent to jail...they can play "knockout" with their new prison buddies...
    Hopefully the'll play house and have to wear the apron.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    ... use of only fists would most certainly draw the most extreme criticism for the CC'er.
    As the above example illustrates, even this can be deadly. Don't underestimate the power of a punch, a kick, or a simple fall from 5ft (head to concrete). I can kill. Defending against such actions and responding accordingly is not a crime.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Not impressed with the sentences. Deal or no deal, they will not learn from this.

*** is an 18yo man doing hanging around with a 13yo kid?
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links