Im Glad I Was Armed Friday! - Page 2

Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

This is a discussion on Im Glad I Was Armed Friday! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Tom G Move to florida. We don't have any snow. But snow is so much fun...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Move to florida. We don't have any snow.
    But snow is so much fun

Quote Originally Posted by Go Glock View Post
    But snow is so much fun

I once lived in Florida for 3 years. Nice place to visit, but I didn't like living there. I too love the snow, mountains and having 4 seasons.

Again, I love FL. I go there probably twice a year, but I just wouldn't want to move there again.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I had my Colorado CHL. But Since I do not legally resie there anymore, I 'm not supposed to use it. Plus PA doesnt honor ant other CHL's for carrying outside your vehicle. But it will honor others states if you just want to carry it in your vehicle.

As far as Open Carrying in PA, when I check http://opencarry.org/

It seems many of the LEO's will arrest you on the spot, and then when you get to court its dropped.
    I didn't want to have to go through that. Especially knowing I would have to leave my truck out there knowing by the time I got back it would have either been broken into, stolen or perhaps burned up.
    The obvious question is then have you applied for a PA CCL? They are a shall issue state, right?
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Assistant Administrator
    have you applied for a PA CCL? They are a shall issue state, right?
    Shall issue yes and process is simple - but ........ IIRC only after 90 days residency and then proof of same - plus a DL too.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

[
    Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    The obvious question is then have you applied for a PA CCL? They are a shall issue state, right?
    I just moved here about a week or two ago. I have to Xfer all my vehicles titles, and tags and insurance then have Colorado Xfer my driving record (since I cant find my rivers license) to the DMV before I can get a PA DL.
    Then, I'll go apply for my CHL. PA doesnt issue NON-resident CHL's anymore.

Glad to hear everything turned out okay. The first thing I thought while reading your account was what a DNR officer told me last November before hunting season opened up here.

He warned me to keep an eye out for any activity around old cabins and trailers deep in the woods because they have been running into a lot of these places being turned into meth labs, and the folks in them don't think twice about shooting at whoever is approaching.

I don't know if this was something along those lines or if it may just have been someone who is very distrusting of people coming up to his remote home in the middle of the night, but I'm glad it worked out okay.

The only thing I would suggest is staying to the main roads at night, especially in poor weather conditions, although it sounds like SHTF bag is ready to provide for a comfortable night in situations like this.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    [

I just moved here about a week or two ago. I have to Xfer all my vehicles titles, and tags and insurance then have Colorado Xfer my driving record (since I cant find my rivers license) to the DMV before I can get a PA DL.
    Sounds like you are between a rock and a hard place in more ways that one. Good luck getting that sorted out. One thing you might consider for your SHTF vehicle kit is a sleeping bag if you don't already have one.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Friday night I was taking a shortcut through the mountains.

As I was headed up the mountain I was getting enough traction, the snow was waaay too deep.

So I began to back down and take another route. As I backed down the old logging road. All the ruts from previous vehicles in the snow began to push me towards an embankment that had a ditch cutting between the road and the wall of dirt.

It was about 10pm and snowing very hard. The Temperature was 3°F and a Wind-chill of -8°F out.
    10 pm, shortcut, 3 degrees out and you are taking a shortcut up a mountain using a logging road.

Sorry, but at this point you kinda get what you get. I don't care what kind of SHTF bag you have.

Just kinds sounds like you were asking for a bad situation.

Call me unadventurous if you will, but I will take a hot cup of joe over a 6 mile hike when it's 3 degrees out.

Glad you made it back safely.
    Last edited by BIG E; February 18th, 2007 at 03:40 AM.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Glad you're OK!

Once you made it "...to town...", it was a bad move to return to your vehicle. Call someone, whatever, but find somewhere other than the vehicle to spend the night, since it was so near your earlier "combat zone." (I too suspect meth lab with paranoid occupants.)
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it out” – Clint Smith

me
    Yes PA still does.

Any how glad you are safe. Those log roads around there are crazy as are the people living in the trailers; i should know my uncle is one.
    Last edited by me; February 18th, 2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: typo
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

I had my Colorado CHL. But Since I do not legally reside there anymore, I 'm not supposed to use it. Plus PA doesn't honor ant other CHL's for carrying outside your vehicle. But it will honor others states if you just want to carry it in your vehicle.

As far as Open Carrying in PA, when I check http://opencarry.org/

It seems many of the LEO's will arrest you on the spot, and then when you get to court its dropped.
    I didn't want to have to go through that. Especially knowing I would have to leave my truck out there knowing by the time I got back it would have either been broken into, stolen or perhaps burned up.
    The incident is over, so this really doesn't make a lot of difference, but I would like to add a couple things. First, opencarry.org is my second home, and I can't find any of the experiences of which you speak. From what I have read, there are very few negative experiences with LEO's, and none that I can find that went to court. Of the few negative encounters, all were in the more urban areas of PA. While waiting to qualify for your PA permit, you can open carry with confidence as long as you avoid Philadelphia (permit required for OC or CC) and the other prohibited locations. Second, PA has reciprocity agreements with, and thereby recognizes AK, FL, GA, KY, MI, MO, NH, NC, SD, TN, TX VA and WY permits. Several of these states offer non-resident permits, although by the time you go through the application process, you would be eligible for a PA license.

In any case, glad you made it out safely!
    ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36

Ruger Alaskan 454, Ruger P89DC, H&K USP 45 Tactical, H&K USP 45 Compact Tactical, H&K USPc 40, Taurus 44, Taurus 617, G20, G36, G27, S&W 340PD, Sig P229, Benelli M1 Tactical, Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.

Excellent story! We just got an Xterra -- seems like a great SHTF vehicle.

Lead Moderator
    With all the other gear, why no sleeping bag and small stove? With the limited supplies I have in my truck , I can spend the night without problems. (no morphine required)
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Might wanna buy some snow chains and a winch. For the next "shortcut".
    A LTTLE TRAINING IS A DANGEROUS THING ....

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    With all the other gear, why no sleeping bag and small stove? With the limited supplies I have in my truck , I can spend the night without problems. (no morphine required)

The morphine tablets aren't for camping out, they are for if your injured severely you can still get the hell out of dodge.

The sleeping bag and stove is a good idea. I had a bunch of blankets and all (In case more than 1 person is with me) and as far as the stove goes, I have a bunch of MRE's that have the heaters in them.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links