Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

This is a discussion on Im Glad I Was Armed Friday! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If I were carrying around morphine, getting caught with a gun would be the least of my worries......

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

Administrator
    If I were carrying around morphine, getting caught with a gun would be the least of my worries...
    "Just blame Sixto"

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    If I were carrying around morphine, getting caught with a gun would be the least of my worries...

Wow, you sound just like the anti gunners talking about gun laws.

Its in a prescribed bottle WITH MY NAME on it FROM MY DOCTOR. As long as its prescribed to me, a LEO cant to a darn thing bout it.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    Wow, you sound just like the anti gunners talking about gun laws.

Its in a prescribed bottle WITH MY NAME on it FROM MY DOCTOR. As long as its prescribed to me, a LEO cant to a darn thing bout it.
    No, its just reality speaking. Its a must worse offense to have a schedule 2 narcotic (felony status) than a misdemeanor gun charge, thats all I'm saying.
    There is plenty an LEO can do about it; again, its just reality.
    Just make sure your label on the bottle is in date, dosage amounts are correct and correspond correctly for the date etc.

Again, I dont care if you got morphine or not, I am just giving a friendly word of caution.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Sig229 wrote:
    Now in my truck I have always kept a SHTF kit. Which I have the following supplies:
    Extra Blankets-socks gloves, water, MRE's, Hand/Pocket warmers/ Gas Mask, NBC suit, tow strap, flares, parachute flares, flashlights, extra magazines for my Sig229-Glock 23-M16 and extra ammo for each weapon, Full sized ax, small hatchet, fire starters, compass, topographic maps for 11 different states, Chemical Weapon detector, Morphine tablets, Penicillin VK, First Aid kit, Hand crank powered AM/FM radio, and I know Im forgetting a few other things.

You call that a SHTF kit? I carry more than that on my bat belt!!

Glad you came out ok------still wondering about the morphine and chemical agents detector----
    str1

No, its just reality speaking. Its a must worse offense to have a narcotic in the same sched. as herion than a M1 gun charge, thats all I'm saying.
    There is plenty an LEO can do about it, again, its just reality.
    Just make sure your label on the bottle is in date, dosage amounts are correct and correspond correctly for the date etc.

Again, I dont care if you got morphine or not, I am just giving a friendly word of caution.
    No, I understand that my best were in your thoughts. Like I said, it was the same bottle I had from when I had surgery (1 month ago) and I only took 3 tablets out of it making it a total of 27 tablets left.

Maybe I shouldn't have that many, what if my truck got broken into. Now you have a good point. But they are legally mine, from a legal doctor prescribed to me for a legal reason. Seriously, if police locked people up for having medicine there wouldn't be any old drivers out there (im not old by the way).

But you said something wrong, Hydromorphone (Morphine) isn't in the same class as Heroin. Heroin, Marijuana, Cocaine etc. is all a class 1. Hydromorphone is class 2 or Schedule II.

As far as why have a Chemical detector in my SHTF bag, why not?

I used to do a lot of driving near WASH DC. What if the Terrorists did a nuclear / bio / or chem attack? All I had to do is take one of the detectors strips out, stock it on my mirror, and I would know in a second if my AO was under a chemical attack. (I also had NBC suit and Mask to put on if so)

Administrator
    No, I understand that my best were in your thoughts. Like I said, it was the same bottle I had from when I had surgery (1 month ago) and I only took 3 tablets out of it making it a total of 27 tablets left.

Maybe I shouldn't have that many, what if my truck got broken into. Now you have a good point. But they are legally mine, from a legal doctor prescribed to me for a legal reason. Seriously, if police locked people up for having medicine there wouldn't be any old drivers out there (im not old by the way).

But you said something wrong, Hydromorphone (Morphine) isn't in the same class as Heroin. Heroin, Marijuana, Cocaine etc. is all a class 1. Hydromorphone is class 2 or Schedule II.

I used to do a lot of driving near WASH DC. What if the Terrorists did a nuclear / bio / or chem attack? All I had to do is take one of the detectors strips out, stock it on my mirror, and I would know in a second if my AO was under a chemical attack. (I also had NBC suit and Mask to put on if so)
    Yeah, I realized my mistake on the schedules after I posted it... I changed it. (I was thinking cocaine and typed herion.)
    If the bottle is out of date, you no longer have a prescription for them... be careful with that, its a fine line.
    Last edited by SIXTO; February 18th, 2007 at 02:17 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Yeah, I realized my mistake on the schedules after I posted it... I changed it.
    If the bottle is out of date, you no longer have a prescription for them... be careful with that, its a fine line.
    Yeah, the bottle says it expires a year after the prescribed date.

I wasnt trying to sound hostile or anythign to you. (many people say the way I type does that sometimes)

Administrator
    I have the same problem, I tend to be blunt and a harsh, oh well.

Dont let anyone give you flack for driving up the mountain in the snow storm... thats living life! I look for stuff like that to do in my Jeep. Granted its not the smartest of safest thing to do, but I don't want to live in a bubble...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    The sleeping bag and stove is a good idea. I had a bunch of blankets and all (In case more than 1 person is with me) and as far as the stove goes, I have a bunch of MRE's that have the heaters in them.
    Slumberjack makes some nice, compact 20-degree bags that pack about as small as a shoebox. As for stoves, it is good to have one to melt snow and/or boil water for purification purposes and to sterilize tools for first aid. This is what I carry in every vehicle I own:

And a bottle or two of this:

I had to drink 6 Heinekens before I got it right, but it was worth it.

Instructions here: http://www.csun.edu/~mjurey/stoveinstruct.html

Of course, if you are carrying narcotics around too, some LEOs might think it is some sort of paraphernalia.
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 18th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I've never given a thought to even HAVING a "shtf" kit! I sure will, now!

Lead Moderator
    Wheelin' is lots of fun, just be sure to have self recovery gear or buddies along. also I always pack for a overnight in case all other options fail.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

me
    Quote Originally Posted by Invisible View Post
    I've never given a thought to even HAVING a "shtf" kit! I sure will, now!
    I need to reset mine. Mine has always been set for extended emergency calls, or multiple back to back calls (which I have used it for and completly stripped it on one occasion) but I am planning to reset it as a SHTF kit.
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I got about halfway up their road I began to hear gun shots coming from the general area of their trailer. I stopped and got off the road and got cover behind a large fallen oak tree. I also turned off my flashlight.

How far away from the trailer? How did they know you were coming? Standing outside in a snowstorm? Why? Sounds like someone working guard duty.

I also heard what some of you know the high pitched buzzing sound if a bullet coming at you. It sounded like a small caliber rifle. Not as small as a .22, but it wasnt an AK either.

Yikes! Aimed fire.

Now heres the dilemma I faced. Should I shout out to tell them Im not there to harm them? Should I fire a warning shot?

Once hostilities have commenced, talk is really cheap. Most good folk don't pop off rounds as a greeting. Perhaps a, "Sorry, my mistake. I'm broke down. Leaving now, Goodbye!" A warning shot may bring WAY too much attention to your comfort zone!

If I did shout out, that would give away my position. If I fired a warning shot also to let them know I was armed, that may give them the feeling that Im shooting at them and we would both be forced to shoot at each other in self defense.

They are not shooting in self defense. I would characterize it as reckless discharge of a firearm. Trespassing is not a capital offense. Yet. Course you could have that inscribed on your tombstone!

I sat there for what felt like 20 minutes checking all directions and staying behind my cover. The person(s) fired about 6 shots total within the first 10 minutes. I had my Sig229 out and the hammer back just in case anyone got the drop on me. I was wearing an Olive Drab Snorkel Coat and two pairs of dark blue jeans. So against the tree was well camouflaged, out in the open snow I was easily seen.

You must have been quite cold. Hypothermia could have been a real issue for you. Sucker had you pinned down. Think I would have called 911 and requested HELP! But response would have been slow. LEOs probably know the residence, maybe they could have called them on the phone and told them to stop shooting at the stranded motorist! I used to work with a guy that accidentally shot himself in the leg during a fight because he readied himself by cocking his semi-auto, which was subsequently forced into his leg during the struggle.

After they were done shooting I looked around my area for the best possible route out of there that wasn't out in the open.

Six shots in 10 minutes, you wait another 10. Are they done or are they waiting / stalking you?

I remembered a small stream that ran parallel with the only road that led to town. I knew that if I walked a long the bank that would mask my foot prints and what little water that wasn't flowing and iced up would mask some of my noise as well. so I ran towards it.

Zigzag pattern?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar

I wouldn't place too much confidence in those. What I use in the Army if it's anything similar to your product, pretty much only reacts to the agents in liquid form. Better to put it outside the vehicle than on the rear-view (driver side door where you can see it with the side-view perhaps?).
    Also a fun trick: test the strip's raction to Windex.
    If you're in a car, I recommend driving crosswind to get out of the hazard area. The mask might be useful, but I wouldn't spend 3 minutes putting on a suit when the accelorator is available.
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Warcrimes View Post
    I wouldn't place too much confidence in those. What I use in the Army if it's anything similar to your product, pretty much only reacts to the agents in liquid form. Better to put it outside the vehicle than on the rear-view (driver side door where you can see it with the side-view perhaps?).
    Also a fun trick: test the strip's raction to Windex.
    If you're in a car, I recommend driving crosswind to get out of the hazard area. The mask might be useful, but I wouldn't spend 3 minutes putting on a suit when the accelorator is available.

Woops, yeah I meant to say on my diver side mirror.
    I dont place too much confidence in it, but for a civilian, it was the best thing I could get. I do feel good knowing not many others will have it if the time ever comes that they are useful.
    And I will test the Windex on one. (I'll have to find the pack thats already open)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links