Im Glad I Was Armed Friday! - Page 4

Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

This is a discussion on Im Glad I Was Armed Friday! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; First thought, stay off mountain roads with deep snow. Second thought, smart not to engage. Could've been a scared kid left alone while maw and ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

New Member Array GetEmWhileUCan's Avatar
    First thought, stay off mountain roads with deep snow. Second thought, smart not to engage. Could've been a scared kid left alone while maw and paw went into town for supplies. Obviously the shooter wasn't concerned as to whether you were friend or foe, so trying to explain your situation while they're taking potshots at you probably wouldn't do much good, and firing a warning shot would instantly give them reasonable expectation their life was in danger and thus justify the use of deadly force.

Permit or not, carrying a small arsenal doesn't give anyone the right to trespass no matter what unfortunate circumstances they may be under. Granted, the occupant of the trailer also had no right to start shooting, but had they hit their mark, all the police would have found was an out-of-towner with a loaded, handgun ready to fire (or already fired, had you chosen to give a warning shot) on a local landowner's property. Remember, after a gun fight, it's the survivor's version that goes on the police record.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom G View Post
    Move to florida. We don't have any snow.

No, we just have about a 17,000% increase in number of predators per square mile.

Not having snow is, in my view, a liability for Florida. I miss the snow, and the hills, of the Northeast.

Situation

I am glad you made it out of that situation unscathed and I am impressed with your truck kit, but haven't you ever seen the movie Wrong Turn?
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by Flintlock View Post
    I am glad you made it out of that situation unscathed and I am impressed with your truck kit, but haven't you ever seen the movie Wrong Turn?
    Nah, never seen that movie. Its good?
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

I've been stuck in the snow and a little fold-up camp shovel helps quite a bit. Takes a while but eventually you get down to the bare ground enough to give the vehicle some purchase.
    "If you so much as bunny hop I'll cut your heart out!" Billy Bob Thornton in The Last Real Cowboys

"I carry a gun for the same reason that I carry health insurance and a cell phone - be prepared."

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I know what your problem was, you had an XTERRA

Actually it made me laugh, because a similar thing happened to me, my wife, and one of her girlfriends driving my wife's (what else) XTERRA. Out for the day to do some shooting, decided to go up a skid road and BOOM! off the bank and high centered on 4 stumps. Fortunately some guys were in the area and helped me spend the next 6 hours digging out. I rewarded them with some ample amounts of beer once we got back into town.

Good story. Every one gave their 2 cents worth of opinion so I think all bases are covered. I just thought you might like to know that you aren't the first Xterra owner that has had criticle problems in the snow.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    Yup, ditch the Nissan and get a Jeep; and this whole situation would have been avoided!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Yup, ditch the Nissan and get a Jeep; and this whole situation would have been avoided!

I had a 1999 Jeep Wrangler, and my X will go on trails that Jeep couldn't. I even have video proof (I need to learn how to upload it first)

Dont forget even HUMVEE's and Land Rover D90's get stuck on many occasions.

Having one vehicle over the other doesn't always mean "I'll get through anything!"

Bottom line is this, offroading has so many different variables, it would be ignorant for one to predict which vehicle would have gotten through if that individual wasn't there that day with that vehicle to prove so.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I forgot to add that the skid road we were going up was covered in about 6 inches of snow. I knew better than to do it, because the car had stock all terrain tires which equated to street tires on a 4x4. It was my own fault for overestimating what my vehicle could do with the shoes it had on at the time. I just thought it was funny that you had almost the exact same scenerio with your xterra in the snow.

Now I own a Yamaha Grizzly 660. I find that that is harder to get stuck, and I wouldn't feel as bad walking away from that back to my $40k truck that is parked safe and sound.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I had a 1999 Jeep Wrangler, and my X will go on trails that Jeep couldn't. I even have video proof (I need to learn how to upload it first)

Dont forget even HUMVEE's and Land Rover D90's get stuck on many occasions.

Having one vehicle over the other doesn't always mean "I'll get through anything!"

Bottom line is this, offroading has so many different variables, it would be ignorant for one to predict which vehicle would have gotten through if that individual wasn't there that day with that vehicle to prove so.
    I was kidding.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I was kidding.
    Its cool

If I was in your situation I think I would have called out that I was broken down. Or more likely tried to yell "stop shooting" or something like that. My guess is that they were warning shots anyway and they already knew your location. Unless you were really far away it would be pretty easy to hit someone with a .22 My guess is that they were doing something illegal in the premisis like cooking meth etc.

After any gunshots I'd be leaving the area. Good job with your ability to think under stress, I highly doubt I would do as well. Sounds like you've got quite a kit there too.

Keep in mind that the "broken down car" scenario is probably a very common phrase among those who are trying to jack someone's grow op or cook lab.

Overall sounds like you were 99% more prepared than your average person.

Quote Originally Posted by markp View Post
    If I was in your situation I think I would have called out that I was broken down. Or more likely tried to yell "stop shooting" or something like that. My guess is that they were warning shots anyway and they already knew your location. Unless you were really far away it would be pretty easy to hit someone with a .22 My guess is that they were doing something illegal in the premisis like cooking meth etc.

After any gunshots I'd be leaving the area. Good job with your ability to think under stress, I highly doubt I would do as well. Sounds like you've got quite a kit there too.

Keep in mind that the "broken down car" scenario is probably a very common phrase among those who are trying to jack someone's grow op or cook lab.

Overall sounds like you were 99% more prepared than your average person.
    Thanks. I'll take a guess and say they were around 2-300 feet away from me. So I dont think they new my EXACT location.

Plus, I stopped for a few minutes behind that tree to listen for activity.
    Since there was like 8" of snow on the ground I would easily hear someone coming.

My thoughts were "Do they have patrols? Maybe a Neighbor might come running to their need"

I wanted to sit in my concealed location to asses the situation more or less. If I would have started running up the road right away, they would have expected that, or if another person was around and armed, they may have been in my path.

[QUOTE=Sig229;298039]I had my Colorado CHL. But Since I do not legally resie there anymore, I 'm not supposed to use it. Plus PA doesnt honor ant other CHL's for carrying outside your vehicle. But it will honor others states if you just want to carry it in your vehicle.

Pennsylvania honors numerous states CPL for carrying a handgun. They do not restrict it to vehicle carry. They also issue nonresidents a license if you have one from your home state.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Great SHTF kit. It's smart of you to have it available. I'm not quite to that point in my preparations. I'm finishing up for shelter in place. By the way, hydromorphone is not morphine. The generic name for morphine is simply morphine sulfate. Hydromorphone is Dilaudid, a very potent pain reliever. But you're correct that it's schedule II, and legal. Very happy that you're ok. I never thought of the meth lab possibility until it was mentioned in an earlier post.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links