Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

This is a discussion on Im Glad I Was Armed Friday! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Friday night I was taking a shortcut through the mountains. Its in an Area called Forbes State Forest in the Chestnut Mountain range in the ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

Exclamation Im Glad I Was Armed Friday!

Friday night I was taking a shortcut through the mountains. Its in an Area called Forbes State Forest in the Chestnut Mountain range in the South Western Corner of Pennsylvania near the West Virginia border.

As I was headed up the mountain I was getting enough traction, the snow was waaay too deep.

So I began to back down and take another route. As I backed down the old logging road. All the ruts from previous vehicles in the snow began to push me towards an embankment that had a ditch cutting between the road and the wall of dirt.

As my SUV slammed into the ditch, there was no way for me to get out.
    I tried digging, 4 wheel drive low, rocking, tow straps, jacks and shoving timber underneath the tires. Nothing was getting me out!

It was about 10pm and snowing very hard. The Temperature was 3°F and a Wind-chill of -8°F out. So needless to say it was VERY cold. Im not sure if there was any moon, but even if there was it would not have given me any light due to the heavy cloud cover providing all the heavy snowfall.

Well, my cell phoned worked, but every tow company I called said that they dont drive on "Tram roads". Im not sure what a Tram road is, but there was no sense in arguing with them. Im also new to this area and dont know anyone with a 4wd truck either.

So It was time to leave the vehicle and walk 6 miles back to a small town to see if anyone would help me.

Now in my truck I have always kept a SHTF kit. Which I have the following supplies:
    Extra Blankets-socks gloves, water, MRE's, Hand/Pocket warmers/ Gas Mask, NBC suit, tow strap, flares, parachute flares, flashlights, extra magazines for my Sig229-Glock 23-M16 and extra ammo for each weapon, Full sized ax, small hatchet, fire starters, compass, topographic maps for 11 different states, Chemical Weapon detector, Morphine tablets, Penicillin VK, First Aid kit, Hand crank powered AM/FM radio, and I know Im forgetting a few other things.

But needless to say Im well equipped for various survival scenarios while Im on the road.

So before I set out to walk these mountain roads back to the town, I took two flashlights, My SigSauer w/ two more 12 round mags, lighter, water, Handheld GMRS radio (480MHz The local FD uses some of those channels) and one of those aerial parachute flares for signaling all in a backpack.

Now in this area only 2 or 3 people live. Add they live in vary small and run down shacks. I figured it wasn't tooo late to knock on a door and ask someone for help. So the only house that I could see was an old 5th wheel type of camping trailer someone was living in. I made sure that as I walked up their long dirt driveway I would have my large flashlight on so I would not surprise them and they would think of me as less of a threat.

I got about halfway up their road I began to hear gun shots coming from the general area of their trailer. I stopped and got off the road and got cover behind a large fallen oak tree. I also turned off my flashlight.

I also heard what some of you know the high pitched buzzing sound if a bullet coming at you. It sounded like a small caliber rifle. Not as small as a .22, but it wasnt an AK either.

Now heres the dilemma I faced. Should I shout out to tell them Im not there to harm them? Should I fire a warning shot?

If I did shout out, that would give away my position. If I fired a warning shot also to let them know I was armed, that may give them the feeling that Im shooting at them and we would both be forced to shoot at each other in self defense.

I sat there for what felt like 20 minutes checking all directions and staying behind my cover. The person(s) fired about 6 shots total within the first 10 minutes. I had my Sig229 out and the hammer back just in case anyone got the drop on me. I was wearing an Olive Drab Snorkel Coat: and two pairs of dark blue jeans. So against the tree was well camouflaged, out in the open snow I was easily seen.

After they were done shooting I looked around my area for the best possible route out of there that wasn't out in the open.

I remembered a small stream that ran parallel with the only road that led to town. I knew that if I walked a long the bank that would mask my foot prints and what little water that wasn't flowing and iced up would mask some of my noise as well. so I ran towards it.

As I was running I decocked my Sig so that I still could fire in a split second with the first trigger pull being double action. Which was a good thing because I tripped over something and as a natural human reflex I put both hands out to catch my fall. Keep in mind I always have my trigger finger off the trigger anyhow. But my Sig was covered in packed snow!

I took the magazine out and did a fast function check, and cleaned what snow I could off. It was ready for action.
    At this point Im freezing cold.

I was walking through the woods with no light, but it was easy for me to follow my route thanks to the stream.

I made it to town and talked with a guy at a gas station who said he would some by in the morning and pull me out with his winch for no charge. I got warmed up and he drove me back to my vehicle.

That whole night I was nervous about those fools who were shooting were going to find me. I did notify the State Police and told them all that happened and where I was. (Not that they cared at all)

But luckily nobody messed with me and in the morning that guy did come out and pull me out.

But I was VERY VERY comforted that I was armed. And as I said that I just moved here to PA I haven't gotten my CHL for PA yet. But this goes to show, that no matter what the law is. If you feel your in any kind of danger, your safety is far more important than a stupid law. Now Im not saying we should all go around breaking the law, but make sure you can defend yourself when the time comes!

I would like to hear your comments as to how I handled it. Also, I welcome any questions.

Here are some pics:

This was how he pulled me out. He attached a pulley to the tree on the hill and ran his winch from his truck down the hill:

And these are pics from how my truck was stuck:

My Sig:
    Last edited by Sig229; February 17th, 2007 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to underline and bold some text.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

2. Remove Ads

Glad your safe!
    People (sheeple...I should say) always question me on why I have a SHTF bag in my truck too. Lucky for you in your situation you did. As for Uncle Cooter or Zeb shooting at you, sounds like you handled it the best you could.....cause you are alive to tell about it.

Administrator
    Good adventure... why did you go back to your truck to stay the night? Why not just stay in town, esp. considering the "mountain people"? Why did the guy not pull you out that night, since he was up there anyway?

It seems to me like you would have been better off to stay in town.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Nice truck!

We love ours:

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I think I would not have approached a trailer home. Otherwise, running and not engaging was the right thing to do for sure. Filing a complaint and a police report would be the next thing I would do. Sounds like aggravated assault to me.

Oh, and get a winch on that thing. Driving on forest roads in snow or mud without a winch is asking for trouble.
    Last edited by lowflyer; February 17th, 2007 at 07:50 PM.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    My inital urge was to comment .. my second thought was not to , i do belive i will go with it lol . other than to say glad you didnt suffer unduely from being stuck out in the sticks.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    My inital urge was to comment .. my second thought was not to , i do belive i will go with it lol . other than to say glad you didnt suffer unduely from being stuck out in the sticks.
    Your silence is deafening.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Good adventure... why did you go back to your truck to stay the night? Why not just stay in town, esp. considering the "mountain people"? Why did the guy not pull you out that night, since he was up there anyway?

It seems to me like you would have been better off to stay in town.
    Well, this town wasn't what you could really call a town. It had a gas satiation, Fire Department, some houses on the main street and a hardware store. No place for me to stay the night.

And I forgot to add about the guys who pulled me out. The guy that helped me back to his truck was just driving home to pick up some clothes and other belongings for his wife, who was at the hospital and just gave birth. So I wasn't really going to ask if I could stay at his place or anything else. He had helped a lot already considering all the other things he was in the middle of doing.

And to the other member talking about a winch. You are 100% correct. Im getting a winch and possibly a TJM bumper:

Im not sure if I should file a complaint or not. I mean honestly, I dont really want those bozo's knowing where I live.

Redneck Repairs: Please, dont hold back. I want to hear what you think. Like I said, I would like others input as to how I reacted.

I think the way I was trained (in tactical terms) kicked in well.
    Last edited by Sig229; February 17th, 2007 at 08:14 PM.

I would have called the Sheriff or State Police to see if they could give me a hand - since no one would come out to tow the truck.

It seemed as if you were a citizen in a bonafide distress situation, they should at least went out there to pick you up (since probably no cab was gona do it) - far safer that going wondering through the woods and stoping at people's properties in the middle of the night.

Other than that, you did ok - you came out of it alive.

Quote Originally Posted by cagueits View Post
    I would have called the Sheriff or State Police to see if they could give me a hand - since no one would come out to tow the truck.

It seemed as if you were a citizen in a bonafide distress situation, they should at least went out there to pick you up (since probably no cab was gona do it) - far safer that going wondering through the woods and stoping at people's properties in the middle of the night.

Other than that, you did ok - you came out of it alive.
    I did think about calling the Police. But I was walking around with a loaded pistol on my hip. Im not sure as to how the Pennsylvania State Police would react. I felt that risking frost bite and the wilderness was better than risking jail time and never having the ability to own firearms again.

Its sad that an American citizen has to worry about calling the police all because he/she is a firearm enthusiast and want to protect themselves.

Suggestion, use your e-brake to provide traction to the other drive wheels when flexed out. Works well with open differential axles.

I'd say you did the right thing, but I prolly would have spent the night in the POV till the next day and then hiked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I did think about calling the Police. But I was walking around with a loaded pistol on my hip. Im not sure as to how the Pennsylvania State Police would react. I felt that risking frost bite and the wilderness was better than risking jail time and never having the ability to own firearms again.

Its sad that an American citizen has to worry about calling the police all because he/she is a firearm enthusiast and want to protect themselves.
    Open carry is generally legal in PA, so there was no risk.
    ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36

Ruger Alaskan 454, Ruger P89DC, H&K USP 45 Tactical, H&K USP 45 Compact Tactical, H&K USPc 40, Taurus 44, Taurus 617, G20, G36, G27, S&W 340PD, Sig P229, Benelli M1 Tactical, Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.

SIG229 (i like the name, BTW)....what state do you have your CCW/CHP...er, permit/license?

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    SIG229 (i like the name, BTW)....what state do you have your CCW/CHP...er, permit/license?

I had my Colorado CHL. But Since I do not legally resie there anymore, I 'm not supposed to use it. Plus PA doesnt honor ant other CHL's for carrying outside your vehicle. But it will honor others states if you just want to carry it in your vehicle.

As far as Open Carrying in PA, when I check http://opencarry.org/

It seems many of the LEO's will arrest you on the spot, and then when you get to court its dropped.
    I didn't want to have to go through that. Especially knowing I would have to leave my truck out there knowing by the time I got back it would have either been broken into, stolen or perhaps burned up.
    Last edited by Sig229; February 17th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.

There are a lot of cases where someone had walked up to a place like this was shot by the owner. I think I would have gone into town instead of going up to the trailor at night. You were very lucky that the shooter missed you. You sure were well equipted for the weather. A lot of other people could have died in the same situation due not being prepared. Move to florida. We don't have any snow.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links