Wife in store, you waiting in the car w/ 3yr old

This is a discussion on Wife in store, you waiting in the car w/ 3yr old within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I was thinking about this the other night. My wife wanted to run into the local "Old Navy". I decided to stay in the car ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife in store, you waiting in the car w/ 3yr old

Wife in store, you waiting in the car w/ 3yr old

I was thinking about this the other night.

My wife wanted to run into the local "Old Navy". I decided to stay in the car with our 3 year old. The store is located on an access road for the mall but it's a free standing building with 10ft tall windows across the entire front. It shares a parking lot with another building that is unoccupied. It was at night (7-8pm) and the parking lot is a little dark. It is very easy to see inside the store.

Anyway, as I was sitting there with full view of the store I started thinking: What if a car suddenly drives up and some BGs get out to rob or shoot up the place. What would I do? I am armed with a pistol and 12 rds of ammo, but my wife is not armed and she left her cell phone in the car. As I sat there, I could not come up with anything that made me fell better. I think my 1st priority is to my son sitting in the back seat, but I couldn't drive off and leave my wife. I couldn't leave my son in the car, or anywhere else and go to my wifes aid.

All I could think of was to stay with my son and hope my wife could hide out. That gave me a terrible helpless feeling.

Suggestions??????

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Good luck , I choose not to participate in many " what if" threads. Set back , do some reading , and thinking , you will answer it yourself.
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

OTOH, for better or worse, I do choose to participate in many of these.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTCobra View Post
    All I could think of was to stay with my son and hope my wife could hide out. That gave me a terrible helpless feeling.
    Would for me, as well. That's a bad scenario. The family is split up, and the one "in the crosshairs" is not armed. Bad juju. From my vantage point: Get another CHL and both go armed. Depending on your perspective, that's what you owe the li'l guy. That's about the only way to improve that situation, 'cause hauling into that building with/without the child is endangering the child.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

What Would Chuck Norris Do?

Get the car up to about 85mph and crash it through the front doors of Old Navy, grab your wife with one hand while shooting indiscriminately (but with extreme prejudice) with the other and holding the steering wheel with your teeth. As you leave the store get your son to throw a few grenades and call in the black helicopters.

But with what you have I would stay in the car, use your wife's cell to call 911 and if it goes south before they get there then you have the toughest call you'll probably ever make.

Your family needs more carry permits.

Quote Originally Posted by SVTCobra View Post
    ... my wife is not armed...
    It sounds like there is an easy solution for future scenarios...

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Call 911, sit tight. Hope wife can take care of herself. If you go in, you risk orphaning the 3 y/o.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Errr.....How come no one has mentioned call 911 yet?

Then how many BG's?
    What are they armed with?
    You can't read their minds so you can't know their intentions so it is hard to develop a strategy from your vantage point.
    Have you ever trained under stressful situations or have just read/day dreamed about them?
    To many what if's...... I just hope none of us are ever faced with that decision. If we are....it could be a defining moment of truth.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedMonkey View Post
    Errr.....How come no one has mentioned call 911 yet?
    It was mentioned twice in the above posts.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

1) Dial 911 and relay whats going on.
    2) Be prepared to drive away without your wife - if she insists in doing dangerous things at night, well you do not have to follow her; your #1 priority here is the child.

You need to do some research on similar threads and sit down with the wife and talk out a security plan.

Remember, none of us know everything related to firearms/tactics/etc the day we decide to get more savy on those fields - it comes through personal experience and/or advice from others. Learn as much as you can from wherever you can, then apply it to your specific situation.

Good luck.

Just my 2 cents.

#1 She should have had her phone at the very least. And I do mean LEAST.

#2 Being a mother, it's her duty to defend and protect her child and herself in your absence. She needs range time, and a CCW permit!

#3 Prayer

Not necessarily in that order ^

I agree with y'all. I think calling 911 goes without saying, maybe that's why everyone didn't said it.

I've been around firearms all of my life and had some formal training. My wife shoots fairly well and could hold her own if something happened in our home but I don't think I could get her to CCW.

I posted this mostly to get some discussion going. I was prepared to drive off if I thought I had to.

Did you discuss it with your wife? Plan A / Plan B?

+1 lowflyer

Cool Gernades

I like 0.02s idea of crashing through the frount door and tossing gernades. Chuck Norris is my hero.

being a father of a six year old boy and three year old girl i can understand that sinking feeling in your gut just thinking about this. that being said i agree with everyone call 911 give description and make d@$%! sure you are in a position to haul a!! out of there with young one. my wife and i have talked about these sort off things and are in agreement from both of us our primary goal is the safety off our children first and always no matter what the circumstance is. talk with your wife on this one and explain how you feel about this. i know that we both have the same feeling on these matters kids first our lives second. very good thread btw i always go over these what ifs in my head all the time they can deffinatly scare the he!! out of you. stay safe god bless our little ones they are our souls

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links