On an airplane: disarming an attacker

This is a discussion on On an airplane: disarming an attacker within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; While the likelihood of ever encountering this situation is practically nil, here's an interesting situation. Pilot deliberately commits a rough landing, to assist in the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: On an airplane: disarming an attacker

On an airplane: disarming an attacker

While the likelihood of ever encountering this situation is practically nil, here's an interesting situation.

Pilot deliberately commits a rough landing, to assist in the disarming of an armed hijacker. I suppose if you can't rely on anyone else being armed, slamming on the brakes to toss the gunman off his feet is the next best thing. At a minimum, it's nice to see that folks (since 9/11) are more often refusing to be killed without lifting a finger. That's all to the good.

Mauritania Pilot Outwits Hijacker

The pilot of a hijacked Air Mauritania plane deliberately made a rough landing so passengers and crew could tackle the gunman, Spanish officials say.

He tipped off passengers about the plan after realising the hijacker spoke no French, one official told AP agency.

The hijacker was overpowered after being knocked over as planned during the landing in Spain's Canary Islands.

Mauritanian police are investigating how the hijacker boarded the Boeing 737 with two loaded handguns.

'Boiling water'

The gunman seized the jet soon after take-off from the capital, Nouakchott, and demanded to be flown to France to seek asylum, officials say.

One report said a gun was held to the pilot's head during the hijack.

But as the pilot approached Gando military base near Las Palmas international airport, he used the plane's intercom system to tell passengers in French of his plan, said AP quoting a Spanish official.

"The pilot and his colleagues decided to abruptly apply brakes on landing to throw off-balance the hijacker, who was hurled to the floor by the jerk and was quickly overpowered before being handed over to the Spanish police force," a Mauritanian official told AFP news agency.

One report said flight attendants threw boiling water at him and around 10 people overpowered him.

The pilot, named by Air Mauritania as Ahmedou Mohamed Lemine, had urged crew members and men to sit in the front rows, ready to act, while women and children were warned to move to the rear, AP said.

Spanish officials say the lone hijacker was a 32-year-old Mauritanian, but Mauritania disputes this.

Seventy-one passengers - mostly Spaniards and Mauritanians - and eight crew were on the plane, reports from Spain said.

Twenty-one passengers were injured in the incident, including a pregnant woman who was treated for severe shock.

Homecoming

The jet returned home on Friday and the crew members were given a heroes' welcome.

Mauritania's President Ely Ould Mohamed Vall also returned home on Friday following the incident. He had been expected to stay at a summit in the south of France until Saturday.

The hijacked plane took off from the north-west African nation in the late afternoon on Thursday.

It tried to land at Dakhla, in Western Sahara, but Moroccan authorities refused permission, security officials said.

The plane was due to stop over in the northern Mauritanian port of Nouadhibou, before continuing to Gran Canaria, in Spain's Canary Islands.

In 1998 an armed hijacker commandeered an Air Mauritania jet, demanding to take it to Morocco.

He also was overpowered by the pilot and there were no casualties in the incident.

Story from BBC NEWS:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/h...ca/6368927.stm

Published: 2007/02/16 1523 GMT

© BBC MMVII
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Read this in paper today and seems it worked well. Lucky tho re the language aspect

My report stated he had two 7mm handguns - I am still puzzling as to what they might have been
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Is 7mm the same as .32 ?

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I'm surprised the news didn't report those 7mm's as AK47s.

In all seriousness, though... Wow! That's awesome!

If someone has a blade, your seat would make a nice shield (not just for a floation device anymore)....
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Assistant Administrator
    IIRC .32 cal is 7.65mm. Sure ain't usually known as 7mm.!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Agreed, but journalists don't always let little things like facts get in the way.
    Maybe they thought "two 7mm pistols" sounded more dramatic than "two Kel-Tecs"?

Lead Moderator
    Saw this in the paper and would like think that sine 9/11 there are a lot less on airplanes. After all if it looks like I'm going to meet my maker I might as well attempt to take a couple of them with me!

Hopefully things have changed!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Hell he get's on board with 2 handguns and I have a tough enough time getting on planes with all my camera equipment.

I once was a TSA after highschool. Let me tell you, your still not safer even after 9-11. Guns, explosives and all that can still be smuggled on board at ease.

An X-ray ma chine can be tricked very easily.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

bae
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Read this in paper today and seems it worked well. Lucky tho re the language aspect

My report stated he had two 7mm handguns - I am still puzzling as to what they might have been
    Baby Nambus? :-)

I would like to also add, that current LEO's can carry their sidearm on their person while flying. I think it would be cool if Americans could get their own Airplane CHL. Or even better, have the FAA grant CHL holders the ability to carry while on board the aircraft as well.

But, I might as well throw a penny in the wishing well for that type of logical thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig229 View Post
    I would like to also add, that current LEO's can carry their sidearm on their person while flying.
    Uh, I don't think so. Air Marshals, yes. Pilots trained and cleared, yes with restrictions regarding carry en route to/from the cockpit. LEO's on official business (prisoner transport, etc.), yes. Normal LEO's not on official business, nope.
    Last edited by Alaskan454; February 19th, 2007 at 06:18 AM. Reason: add link
    ... and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36

Ruger Alaskan 454, Ruger P89DC, H&K USP 45 Tactical, H&K USP 45 Compact Tactical, H&K USPc 40, Taurus 44, Taurus 617, G20, G36, G27, S&W 340PD, Sig P229, Benelli M1 Tactical, Ruger Mini-14 Ranch Rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan454 View Post
    Uh, I don't think so. Air Marshals, yes. Pilots trained and cleared, yes with restrictions regarding carry en route to/from the cockpit. LEO's on official business (prisoner transport, etc.), yes. Normal LEO's not on official business, nope.
    Well, if what your saying is true, the laws must have recently changed.

When I was a TSA every time we would get a LEO that was traveling (whether personal or for business) they would come up to my desk sow me their creds. and I would have them sign in on two different books and what agency they were with. They reason they were doing this, was to make the FAA and their particular airline aware that they were flying in one of their aircraft armed.

But it was a few years ago, and I do realize rules can change.
    I worked at the Baltimore Washington International Airport on all piers. This was not available on International; flights, of course.

VIP Member
    Feds can carry pretty much all the time - "on official business" for us means we will need to be armed when we land, and that covers just about any circumstance other than than true "vacation" travel. Of course, no one asks (and there's no way to prove) if I'm on official duty, so I carry every time I fly, which is quite often.

Generally, I am introduced to the FAMs (if there are any) and the Captain, and the flight attendants all know where I'm sitting. Often, this is less inconspicuous than I'd like, but there isn't much I can do about the way the airlines conduct their boarding procedures... :)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Feds can carry pretty much all the time -
    Nobody much likes the Feds anyways Stay safe.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links