Caught in a bad situation.

This is a discussion on Caught in a bad situation. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Not too much to talk about here, just want to share a story. Working EMS the other day, called for a probable DOA at 0900. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caught in a bad situation.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Caught in a bad situation.

Not too much to talk about here, just want to share a story.

Working EMS the other day, called for a probable DOA at 0900. No indication of foul play from dispatch. On scene found 2 females 1 male directing me to a house where someone had been found unconscious.

Walk in with my partner, male comes behind. Find a young adult male prone on the hallway flood. House is very dark, using my flashlight. Dude is cold and stiff. While checking for a carotid pulse, notice a superficial laceration along the shoulder, under the collar but the collar is not damaged. Weird. Already suspicious about the cause of death, this finding doesn't help. Looking down the body, notice an empty cartridge between the knees. ******! I've got this dude behind me, my partner doesn't see what I see because she is asking the dude about the DOA's name, I don't know who else may be in the house. No LEOs on scene. We're in a remote corner of the county, unknown ETA for LEOs.

I tell my partner to skip the info for now and help me carry the equipment back to the ambulance, also tell the dude to wait outside with us. Call dispatch and ask for an LEO to expedite. I'm watching everybody, scanning for bulges, looking in their car for weapons. Wondering how much flak I'll catch if we up and leave. Deputy shows up about 45 seconds later. What a relief!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

Did they find anyone?

Good thing you were paying attention! Could have gotten ugly fast...

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    glad to hear the LEO responded quickly.

I know in TX, paramedics aren't allowed to carry any weapons while on-duty. Is it the same in VA?

Lead Moderator
    Glad everything was o.k. , atleast with you and your partner.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Nice timeing on the LEOs part. It's a good thing that you were alert to what was going on.

More Details Required...

Hey, after a story like that...you're going to leave us hanging?
    Glad you are safe and sound; what's...the 'rest of the story?'

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Hey, after a story like that...you're going to leave us hanging?
    Glad you are safe and sound; what's...the 'rest of the story?'

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret

+1

it's like a knock knock joke without the punch line.... "Bad guy who?"
    (cricket..... cricket.....)

don't leave us hangin'
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    My first thought was about why anyone would want to rob or otherwise ambush EMTs in such a scenario, and then I thought, "Well, maybe they have drugs in their kits (or are perceived to have drugs in their kits) that junkies would want to steal from them."

Do you?

Does that sort of thing happen a lot?

Seems ridiculous that an EMT who has a CCW license should be barred from carrying on the job. Some union or something needs to be making a case for it, seeing as we already know that in many places, EMTs won't go in without LEOs on the scene, for their own safety. Why make the EMTs dependent on protection that is a step removed? Why not allow them to be their own protection in a desperate situation?

Well......what happened?!? Don't leave us hanging.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Glad your safe and way to stay alert......

BUT....

Were Waiting.....

Oh....I get it....It's like the old joke....
    Q: How do you keep 1000's of Combat Carry members in suspense?
    A: I'll tell you tomorrow!

Sorry to leave you guys in suspense, I only take one trip through here each day!

VA Office of EMS tried to push a reg outlawing guns on ambulances and fire trucks a few years ago, but VA Citizen's Defense League tore into their backsides pretty hard and it got pulled, although they refused to reprint the regs, so it's still there, just not enforced.

My employer, a rather large health care system, bans firearms on company property, BUT, as I am contracted to a rural EMS agency, TECHNICALLY I could carry if I wanted; there IS a company nonviolence policy :). The Fire Chief also gave me the OK. Still, I'd hate to lose my job if my boss found out and wanted to make a stink. As I work day shift only, the chance I'd need it are remote. I'm a pretty big guy, so is my regular partner, and he's a lifelong resident of the area, so people respect him. I carry 2 knives (poking), a big first aid kit (blocking), a stethoscope (choking) and an oxygen bottle (stroking)! I need to get some OC though. There is the possibility that I could get into a struggle with a combative patient (low blood sugar, delirium, drugged. etc.) and the security or concealment of the weapon could become compromised. Now when I volunteered, I always had a fanny pack or nondescript Bagmaster on me and luckily something like that never happened.

Once the Sheriff's Dept let us leave, I was out of there. I've heard it was a drug hit. Place was tore up pretty bad, supposedly the guy with us was the target, the victim was "minding his own business" when he got hit. No suspects yet, but I'm sure my butt will get dragged into court one day...

Unions: Transport EMS (my parent company) is so transient that most people don't stick around long enough to care about unions. I'd love one, but not enough to lead the charge. Somehow I might get written up for doing something wrong, then fired.

Drugs: We carry many things that could be useful or harmful to a druggie.

Morphine, Valium, Versed, Haldol, all kinds of cardiac drugs, needles, syringes, etc.
    Last edited by paramedic70002; February 20th, 2007 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Add item

In my jurisdiction EMTs won't go in to a questionable call or location without first having the scene secured by LE. They standby a few blocks away untill we call them in. Good policy. We take extra good care of out EMTs, never know when we might need one really bad!
    str1

Quote Originally Posted by shooter1 View Post
    In my jurisdiction EMTs won't go in to a questionable call or location without first having the scene secured by LE. They standby a few blocks away untill we call them in. Good policy. We take extra good care of out EMTs, never know when we might need one really bad!
    str1

Us too. Unfortunately, it wasn't questionable until too late! The caller told dispatch that there was a man possibly dead, no other info. And dispatchers in these parts not being the sharpest tools in the shed, apparently didn't ask many questions.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    And dispatchers in these parts not being the sharpest tools in the shed, apparently didn't ask many questions.
    Dont feel bad, I am lucky to get an address to respond to most of the time.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Glad it worked out

For that reason, my crew has worked out a series of subtle code words just in case. Might be a good idea for anyone working out there with a partner, or even your spouse. Glad it worked out for you OK. We do carry plenty of stuff that would be enticing to an addict, but lots of other stuff they could easily kill themselves with, too. Dope and Dopamine are not the same thing.

And I miss Haldol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links