This one happened in my town

This is a discussion on This one happened in my town within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; "police say Wheeler tracked down Montoya and crashed his blue Hyundai station wagon into her vehicle at the intersection of Coors Boulevard and Alameda Drive ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This one happened in my town

This one happened in my town

"police say Wheeler tracked down Montoya and crashed his blue Hyundai station wagon into her vehicle at the intersection of Coors Boulevard and Alameda Drive Northwest.

Wheeler pulled Montoya from her car at gunpoint, pointed the gun at several bystanders and forced Montoya into his station wagon, Hoffman said."

http://www.abqtrib.com/news/2007/feb...ry-kidnapping/

So you are driving down the road and you see a fellow ram another vehicle and force a woman out of her can and into his car at gun point.

This is a busy street, several people tried to help but they backed down when threatened with a gun.

What whould you do? You are armed and ready to protect yourself and your family and you see this scene.........

Shoot first so you keep the element of suprise?

The trick of course is going to be to hit the BG and only the BG. It is a crowded street.

2. Remove Ads

Sorry, but I call 911. This is one the cops need to handle. I would stay on the line and keep the dispatcher updated from good cover.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Crowds are never good to much chance of hitting someone else even if you hit the BG first.

Call 911 and be a good witness.
    "It's a big gun when I carry it, it is also a big gun when I take it outĒ Ė Clint Smith

Sorry I DID NOT stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night....So I say call 911 and give them as much information as possible. Protect yourself and your loved ones.
    The actual thoughts of shooting someone in the head exactly to the ocular cavity to blow out the brain stem is a mighty small window of opportunity. To many chances of hitting bystanders, etc...

You hit the easy button!

Nah, I say 911 too. You turning the place into a wild west show wont help much.
    Primary Carry Gun: Sig Sauer 229~R (.40cal w/ Golden Saber JHP's)

Member Array chiefs-special-guy's Avatar
    My wife witnessed something a bit like this, 1/2 block from our main police station in broad daylight! A car stopped at a stop sign, and the woman passenger jumped out and started running away. The male driver took after her, caught her, slapped her around, and dragged her back into the vehicle. Very disturbing to my wife, although it is clear from her report that these two knew each other. Anyway, my dear wife blares her car horn, hoping to attract attention. perp and victim drive off, wife calls 911, police seem fairly uninterested, wife is mad, etc. I do not know the ultimate result.
    Now, no gun was shown in this, but of course the guy may have one. Would I intervene? Wow, not sure. The location would make me bolder, but that may be dumb!
    God Bless
    Six for sure...Uh, I mean Five. Five for sure..

VIP Member
    Call 911 and be a great witness...stay outa harms way

OK. . . I know I'm going to get trashed for this but I break rank here.

To me, itís not much different than the other post about a young girl being abducted.

In this particular case, it is probable that the only reason this woman is alive is that her abductor thought she was unconscious. It IS heartening that some people at least tried to help her even though they backed off when he pointed the gun at them. If unarmed, I might back off also, I donít know for sure.

I do know the risks in trying to intervene in a situation like this but if I am armed, I WILL NOT let this guy drag her into his car without attempting to stop it.

I know that many things COULD go wrong such as bystanders getting shot or the woman herself being executed by the guy.

If that is the risk, so be it! The facts seem clear that she would most likely end up dead without anyone on the scene helping her.

So here is how it plays out in my mind: engage and MAYBE things will go bad. Don't engage and she WILL die. The fact that she didn't die was pure luck.

We can call 911 and the cops can try to stop him but most likely they would simply end up photographing the body and taking control of a crime scene.

I want to be able to look my wife and daughter in the face without shame. Also, before anyone tells me about my responsibility of staying alive for my family, let me say up front that they feel exactly the same way I do about these things. Maybe things would be different if I had a minor child but my daughter is 29 years old and is more of a fighter than I am.

This may not work for others and I do not judge anyone who doesnít agree with me, its just that I think its time people got back to looking out after each other. Maybe Iím a dinosaur but thatís the way I feel about it. YMMV
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Member Array The Sage of Seattle's Avatar
    +1 PaulG.

I'm the kind of guy who agonizes over these kinds of situations.

I'm not married but I have a daughter who's almost 11 now. I feel the duty of being there to raise her and provide for her and love her to the best of my ability every day. Yet, I also feel that part of who I am and all that I convey must be passed through me to her by my actions. I know that I couldn't face myself in the mirror if I stood by and watched someone get kidnapped or murdered.

If I intervene in a situation like this on behalf of another and I was killed by doing so, my prayer is that the reason WHY I was killed would somehow help my family and daughter through their loss. Ask a soldier or firefighter, for example, why they put their lives on the line every day for strangers. I feel that it's the same with me in that sense, though I'm now having trouble expressing those thoughts and feelings adequately.
    "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness."
    -Me (I think)

"A divided government means a happy constituancy!"
    -Me

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility."
    -Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I'd have to side with the 911 folks, call the police, be a good witness and maybe track the car from a distance reporting on its position. I am not a cop but I do know that domestic violence is one of the worst things you can be involved in. If you shot the guy you may find yourself in a world of trouble as the wife/girlfriend brings charges against you. That CCW is for self defense for for you and your family. If I was to be jailed for murder or manslaughter I'd want to say at least I protected myself or my family from death or injury.

I would call 911 first. then I would get a description of the car and the tag number.Theres too many cases where this was a girl friend boy friend spat and the good samarritan ended up getting jumped on by the guy and girl. I would be very careful about pulling a gun out. If I saw a gun and had a good shot with out putting anyone else in danger I might take the shot if I were convenced it was the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by CT Kid View Post
    I'd have to side with the 911 folks, call the police, be a good witness and maybe track the car from a distance reporting on its position. I am not a cop but I do know that domestic violence is one of the worst things you can be involved in. If you shot the guy you may find yourself in a world of trouble as the wife/girlfriend brings charges against you. That CCW is for self defense for for you and your family. If I was to be jailed for murder or manslaughter I'd want to say at least I protected myself or my family from death or injury.
    I wouldnt want to get involved with a domestic dispute either but if as many people are around as the poster said tried to help I would hope someone would come forth and say yeah the beater guy pointed a gun at us, once that guy pointed a gun a me, he's fair fame imo, dont care about his wife/girl changing her story the threat has now been made towards me, that said i wouldnt want to get into a shoot out especially for something domestic as such, been shown time and time again that some women just like being beat on,well brainwashed to think its ok

The overlooked part of this is that the guy is brandishing a firearm but not using it.

I think that there is enough cause to draw and fire.

There is the temptation to draw and order the guy to drop his gun.........bla, bla bla........

Quote Originally Posted by crankinNM View Post
    The overlooked part of this is that the guy is brandishing a firearm but not using it.

I think that there is enough cause to draw and fire.

There is the temptation to draw and order the guy to drop his gun.........bla, bla bla........
    Ok so what?

It seems to me that the guy is not really planning on having to shoot anyone which gives the CC guy the advantage.

The guy is not expecting me to have a gun.
    Last edited by crankinNM; February 20th, 2007 at 08:20 PM. Reason: mispelled expecting

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links