Scenario: Tactical scenario, true story

This is a discussion on Scenario: Tactical scenario, true story within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; El Segundo, California, 1978. I had gone to a United Bank of Calif. to buy a money order. It was almost closing time, past sundown, ...

El Segundo, California, 1978. I had gone to a United Bank of Calif. to buy a money order. It was almost closing time, past sundown, getting dark.(late fall or winter) I was not carrying due to strict Calif. laws. As I entered the bank a young (middle to late 20's) black girl wearing a long, brown or tan, heavy wool coat, dark pants and boots, and sun glasses approached the door. I held the door open for her. She walked past, did not look at me, no "thank you" or "kiss my ass" did she utter. I looked at her back as she walked away thinking she was a bit rude. There was a lot of commotion in the bank and as I approached one of the windows I was told to "stay back, they'll want to get fingerprints." I was then told they had just been robbed, at gun point, by a young woman in a brown coat. I told them I had held the door for her as she made her getaway. To make a long story short, I was interviewed by local police and FBI, filled out a witness statement, etc. I told them that noone had yelled or anything, and if they had I would have just decked her at the door. Would that have been wise? Probably not, even though I saw no weapon. At the time I was 37, working as a pipefitter, and strong as a bull, and maybe not too bright. I would probably have gone for it and maybe she would have been expecting it. Who knows? She did it again later, her 28th, and got caught in the bank.

DC Founder
    I think I would probably have let her go on her merry way at that point. If you didn't succeed in knocking her completely out she might have started shooting from inside that coat. In California they probably would crusify you if someone got hurt after she was heading out the door. And then she was a woman so N.O.W. would be wanting your hide and, since she was black Jesse Jackson would want a piece of you and she may have even been a member of the Bank Robbers Local 357.

A bit of tongue in cheek but in California you never know....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

This goes back to the if no ones life is in jeopardy, the money is insured, it is not your concern nor does it directly affect your likliehood of returning to your loved ones, IT IS NOT YOUR CONCERN. The problem arises in being able to look yourself in the mirror and know what a "man" would do. God knows I have stuck my nose where it did not belong just because my Dad told me to never let a female get hurt in my presence.

~A
    Fave Quotes

The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live!!!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
    Edmund Burke

The worst thing in this world, next to anarchy, is government.
    Henry Ward Beecher

This is deff one of thoes times ya just let it roll along without help from you. Would be different if she started shooting.

Not a cop, never was a cop, do not want to be a cop.

Would rather witness and let the police do the police thing.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Here in California where I live we of course have a bunch of banks. A few miles away they simply rob one and go to the other like shopping for clothes. The bad part is when they jump the counter and shove or slap a teller to the floor, it is so tramatic to the person some never go back. An instore BofA has enclosed their teller counter in what looks like clear plastic to the ceiling. At first it is really weird when you go in but it does serve to protect folks in back of the counter.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    FDIC. The money is insured and you are not a LEO, so just let em go. Get a good decription ,direction of travel, vehicle , ect.

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by FortyFive
    An instore BofA has enclosed their teller counter in what looks like clear plastic to the ceiling. At first it is really weird when you go in but it does serve to protect folks in back of the counter.
    One of our banks here in a semi risky area just had those shields installed several months back. It is sorta weird.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

APachon, . . . in theory, I agree with you. My brother, would also, . . . and did. In Mansfield, Ohio, . . . early 70's. Dude was smacking a woman around in the back of the bar, . . . Ronnie stuck his face into it, . . . guy pulled a .32 and put a perfectly round .32 hole in his chest and the top of his heart and out his back.

Yes, he lived, . . . was on permanent disability for next 20 some years, . . . finally drank himself to death.

Moral, . . . sometimes it should be done, . . . but just ain't worth it, . . . same goes for this bank job. Money is insured and can be replaced, . . . I ain't and can't (least ways I don't think so).

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Yes, I agree that the best course of action was just what I did, step aside and let her go. That is my view today, however, this happened 25 years ago. Things were different then, and I did not have the experience, or training, or common sense that I have today. Besides, now I'm old and tired.

Links