Happened here yesterday: Case of mistaken identity

This is a discussion on Happened here yesterday: Case of mistaken identity within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Another "what do you do?" Say you stop at a fine fast food eating establishment(McDonalds, in this case), park in the parking lot and start ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happened here yesterday: Case of mistaken identity

Happened here yesterday: Case of mistaken identity

Another "what do you do?"

Say you stop at a fine fast food eating establishment(McDonalds, in this case), park in the parking lot and start to walk across the lot to go inside. Upon exiting your vehicle, a car loaded down with "hip urban youths" accelerates from the street into the same parking lot and, with a scream, one cuts loose with several rounds in your direction from a handgun. What is your choice? You can head back to your vehicle and get behind it, or get into it and try to leave. You can even head into the restaurant...lots of people in there, they wouldn't follow you, would they? You can beat feet down the crowded city street.

I know we're a little bit short on background info, but what kind of reaction would you have to being attacked in a crowded afternoon parking lot by kids in a car. The kids never dismounted, and cut loose a few rounds and fled the scene in their vehicle. Shoot at a moving vehicle? Remember, you're beside your vehicle in a downtown area, so there is almost nowhere to point a gun that doesn't put innocent lives in jeopardy.

We dealt with this yesterday. Even managed to catch the kids, with a little investigation. Turns out they saw the vehicle being driven by a black female as somebody they knew and decided they had a score to settle. Turns out it wasn't the person they thought it was, just some lady trying to get a hamburger.
    I'll take a .45 and a large side of JHPs, please.

2. Remove Ads

dont see much choice. they cut loose a few rounds and run off before i can establish line of fire... get as much info as possible and make a good witness.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Be a good witness from behind cover. I would have tried to put as much of my truck between the BGs and me as possible while dialing 911. If they came after me, I would return fire from behind cover.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Quote Originally Posted by lowflyer View Post
    Be a good witness from behind cover. I would have tried to put as much of my truck between the BGs and me as possible while dialing 911. If they came after me, I would return fire from behind cover.

That's why I'm an Arby's fan... you'd never have stuff like that happan at classy place like Arby's!

Kidding aside, I agree with Lowflyer. Get behind cover, get 911 on the phone, and be ready to do more if they try to pursue.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

Lead Moderator
    Cover and being a good witness is about all ya can do.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

shoot or not

I would probley head for the car for cover. If they weren't shooting at me I would try to get a tag number and call 911. I would not shoot due to the crouded area. I would like to shoot though. If They are shooting at me and my life is on the line then I would shoot.

That's why I'm an Arby's fan... you'd never have stuff like that happan at classy place like Arby's!
    Yeah, well there is a string of robberies at Arby's in Southwest Ohio all believed to be done by one BG, and he has been at it for a couple years.

Under this situation, try to get back behind my truck and call 911, be a good wittness, probably draw while behind cover just in case they stop, re-holster as soon as they leave the lot.

I have never tried to shoot a fast moving vehicle, don't imagine it would be too easy. Return fire only if they got out to make sure the job was done. Too many innocents to do anything else.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Head for cover...quickly...call 911...

Wouldn't do much else...certainly wouldn't want a gun out when the police arrive!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Yeah, well there is a string of robberies at Arby's in Southwest Ohio all believed to be done by one BG, and he has been at it for a couple years.
    Did I say Arby's?

I meant...... uh......... Taco Bell....... Yeah that's the ticket.

All kidding aside, its stuff like this that finally convinced me to take a proactive approach to my families safety.
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

This is a definite 'no shoot' - too many bystanders and besides, they're gone before you really had a chance to shoot.

This is a situation which is possible in many public parking areas, and I’m not sure how you can really avoid it. The BG’s can turn into the lot and begin blasting in the blink of an eye.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

As long as they keep rolling, get to cover and dial 911. Shooting isn't likely to improve a situation that's going to be over in a few seconds anyway.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Fast moving scenario. Duck and cover. Probably be over before you can get your plan together or have your wits sufficiently organized. The only option I see is to recognize the potential threat before it comes to you.

I was foot patrolling a high crime subdivision at night once as part of a 4 man security team, had a car roll slowly by us. Suddenly a large barrel comes out the window. Before any of us had time to take evasive action or draw, we were all covered in water. It took a great amount of restraint on my part not to light up the back of that car!
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I would ask them if they would like fries with my 40's!!!
    No, actually as the others said find immediate cover, try and find out where the fire is coming from and where their attended target is. If it's me I am returning fire if safe to do so, if somebody else is the target calling 911, and monitor the situation. May choose to protect victim depending on variables, if they are fleeing stay low and gather as much info as possible.
    When Seconds Count, The Cops Are Just Minutes Away!!
    Carry On!
    NCHornet

Head for cover ...dive to the ground and do the ol' "combat roll" if nothing else...and call 9-1-1. Now, if they stop, and start exiting the vehicle in my direction, return fire if possible to do so without blowing away any innocent bystanders...
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Incoming have the right-of-way. Get behind anything that's there. Survive. Everything else is secondary. Afterwards, call 911.

The interesting part will being seeing how much you remember other than a muzzle pointed at you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links