Scenario: Road Rage

This is a discussion on Scenario: Road Rage within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Probably need some help here, but since there've been 4 or 5 incidents already this year in Dallas of road rage shootings. I start wondering ...

Thread: Scenario: Road Rage

Scenario: Road Rage

Probably need some help here, but since there've been 4 or 5 incidents already this year in Dallas of road rage shootings. I start wondering at what point, if any, a vehicle becomes a "deadly weapon" and considered a threat to you life to the point you would use your gun. I'm not talking just a onetime swerve just in front of you and then the ole hit on the breaks. More of a continual "assault" where you slow down, change lanes, or other manuevering to "avoid" any confrontation. Consider moderate to heavy traffic on an expressway.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    I'll start...........

Till his car hits mine I'm in an escape mode. If he hits me and comes back for a second try, all bets are off......... His car is a deadly weapon at that point! Also he has then reduced my chances of escape.

Just my initial thoughts.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

I believe it was in or near Dallas a few years ago when the law got to make the call on a ccw guy shooting someone dead. A pickup truck is pulling up to a light and its mirror ticks the other guys truck mirror. The huge mad as hell BG gets out of his truck and proceeds to beat the crap out of the other driver. The good guy pulls his gun and shoots the bg to death, they called it an OK shoot.
    As to this thread I don't see how you can shoot in traffic, on a back road maybe but chances are it will get messey in court. Just a thought!!
    Last edited by FortyFive; February 24th, 2005 at 10:52 AM.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

Lead Moderator
    When my vehcle is diabled and the BG is ignoring warnings and still advancing. BUT the BG better have a big ride, cause I'm driving a full size P/U and can't see it getting pushed around too easy. I don't see much chance of not escaping , as I am willing to use the 4wd and take 'er off road.

IMHO; first deliberate contact makes it a deadly force encounter, but here in Misery (Missouri) self defense is an affirmative defense in court; you have to raise the issue and then prove it in court. The statutes on self defense are full of “reasonable man” language; you have to be in a situation where a “reasonable man” would fear for his life and would do what you did. As long as the car is not disabled you could be in a rough spot, the more deliberate and forceful the contact the more you would cross into a self defense situation, a little side swiping or fender bumping probably not, attempts to spin you out or hard side hits probably crosses the line.

As you can tell from the name and avatar, there isn’t much on the road short of a commercial truck bigger than me, and being 4 WD like Rocky I’ll take it where most can’t go. My beater is a 1988 full size Bronco that can do a 180 in 3 lanes of road and the wife’s car is a Continental so we are well protected in that category. There isn’t much bigger than my 2 or faster than the wife’s, (V8, 24 valve, direct fuel injection).

Cell phone

Cell phone cured the only real case of road rage I have ever run into.

My fault really, bad road conditions, repair, ice, snow and I pulled out with what I thought was lots of room, but spinning wheels, and a PU running way to fast put him on my bumper.

He tooted, saluted, tooted, tailgated, tooted, saluted, thru two traffic lights, and two stop signs. Finally, because I was not going to be followed home, I held up my cell phone, and then pretended to talk on it. He turned off at next intersection.

The key is not to play the game.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    I have been in a couple of "road rage" incidents, and as a result have given this a LOT of thought. I drive a tank, I will always put me and my wife in the biggest, strongest vehicles I can afford. So far all the points made are valid ones.

However, one thing I havent seen mentioned here concerns me. If you do shoot the bg, what happens with his now driverless vehicle? Whether or not the police call it a good shoot, you will still have endangered as many if not more lives than the bg, unless you are on a very very isolated stretch of road. Or what if you miss? I have never tried to fire a gun from a moving vehicle, but when I was younger and laser pointers were a new thing. I used to entertain myself at night while on long drives by trying to hit road signs with it. (with a good laser pointer it will light the whole sign up red) Even with practice it was difficult.

Bryan

In Ohio, . . . I would tend to think that as long as you "could" drive, . . . you "should" drive and try to extricate yourself from the situation. Their self defence shooting laws are probably not amenable to a bump or two on the highway.

I would do my best to do that, . . . especially knowing that I have to draw and shoot right handed out my left window, . . . at a moving target, . . . that don't want to be shot.

The other option of course is to just jam on the brakes, . . . pull off, . . . get out, . . . and prepare to unholster if he/she comes back. I fully believe I could be stopped, out, and unholstered before old bg could get stopped and confronting me at 20 feet. If bg is stupid enough to continue the assault in the face of my SA .45, . . . I hope his widow paid up his insurance, . . . she'll probably need it.

May God bless,
    Dwight
    If you can breathe, . . . thank God.
    If you can read, . . . than a teacher.
    If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a veteran.

Red face

Dwight55 summed up what I believe I might do. Several others made good points too....shooting the BG in his/her vehicle could cause others harm, assuming of course I hit a moving target from a moving vehicle. Kinda reminds me of "Road House"...be nice, be polite, but take it outside. In this case, take it off the main lanes of the road. Chances might be that if I pull off the road completely, the BG may just go on, if not, I can certainly be more prepared for any further confrontation. I do keep pepper spray in my truck for those non-lethal situations. Obviously, would try for the BG's license tag number to report, assuming the BG leaves the scene, and I've sustained damage to my truck. Thanks guys/gals/whatever ?

Quote Originally Posted by KC135
    Cell phone cured the only real case of road rage I have ever run into.

My fault really, bad road conditions, repair, ice, snow and I pulled out with what I thought was lots of room, but spinning wheels, and a PU running way to fast put him on my bumper.

He tooted, saluted, tooted, tailgated, tooted, saluted, thru two traffic lights, and two stop signs. Finally, because I was not going to be followed home, I held up my cell phone, and then pretended to talk on it. He turned off at next intersection.

The key is not to play the game.
    Amen If I had a quarter for every dodo that I have dialed a 911 on (weaving, playing dodge car, being a real DA) I could afford a nice class III gun
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    Amen If I had a quarter for every dodo that I have dialed a 911 on (weaving, playing dodge car, being a real DA) I could afford a nice class III gun
    Now there's a thought.....if you can get an address on the bojo, send em a bill! Let me know if it works and I'll break down and buy me a cell phone too!

Lead Moderator
    Don't overlook the fact your veicle can be a deadly weapon. Or a BG can use 1 as such too. Defensive drivinf courses are great to teach ya how to get out of bad situations or put someone trying to stop ya in the ditch. I would rather play bumper tag at 40-50 mph than shoot it out any day.

Sheldon, I would not be up to a dollar yet. Only had a cell phone for about 15 years or so.

I am a defensive driver, avoidance is the key.
    Keep the shotgun handy!!

Links