2 blocks from my house!

2 blocks from my house!

This is a discussion on 2 blocks from my house! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I entered my neighborhood today and saw a TV camera truck and the crew was shooting down the road. Later while watching he news I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 blocks from my house!

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

2 blocks from my house!

I entered my neighborhood today and saw a TV camera truck and the crew was shooting down the road. Later while watching he news I saw the report. This was pulled from the web.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- A Crestwood man is recovering after being run down by a hit-and-run driver.

Witnesses say a car hit 26-year-old Raymond January III at 9 p.m. Wednesday night and the driver didn’t stop. January was transported to University Hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

The TV didn't report that the man was beaten and robbed before the hit and run took place. I know a LEO and got the real scoop.

Holy cow! This happened in my neighborhood and 2 blocks from my house.

Like I tell my wife, "this crap can happen anywhere".

So... question.

You are walking and a car comes out of nowhere and is obviously trying to run you down. Do you draw and fire while jumping out of the way? OR....

Whats the move here?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    I dont think I'd be thinking of drawing, I'd be gettn out of the way..If he comes back, then its time to make some noise..

My main concern would be getting out of the way. If I get to cover and if the car returns to finish the job I would shoot to incapacitate both the car and driver.
    Last edited by Tom G; February 22nd, 2007 at 11:30 PM.

Lead Moderator
    Get outta the way. Shooting will not stop the car and shooting while moving is a tough move.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    Just get out of the way. Only shoot when you are cornered.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Easy, shoot the gas tank and the car explodes. Then, light a cigar while saying:

"That must be a SUV...it really burns the gas."

That's how it always happens in the movie.

Or, get out of the way and shoot later.
    Human Beings understand Reason, Compassion, and Dignity

Predators understand Strength

Get out of the way and try to get behind something at isn't gonna move much if the car hits it, and isn't gonna pin you between two objects if it gets hit by a car. Maybe a big tree or something. My biggest concern would be them making multiple runs at you. After you are safely out of the way of the first run, then pull your weapon or call 911 or whatever, because you probably won't be able to do either if you get run over by a car first.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by buckeye07 View Post
    Get out of the way and try to get behind something at isn't gonna move much if the car hits it, and isn't gonna pin you between two objects if it gets hit by a car. Maybe a big tree or something.
    Should point out that most light poles and road signs do not fall into this category. Many man-made roadside obstructions are required to "break away" in the event of a high-speed impact. Utility poles are generally more solid (since they need to be strong enough to resist wind and ice loads on the lines). A big, sturdy tree is probably your best bet.

Should point out that most light poles and road signs do not fall into this category. Many man-made roadside obstructions are required to "break away" in the event of a high-speed impact. Utility poles are generally more solid (since they need to be strong enough to resist wind and ice loads on the lines). A big, sturdy tree is probably your best bet.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that, and the list of things to get behind depending on what kind of vehicle wou are being assaulted with are rather limited. Even going into your house can only protect you too much if you are by the wall. I saw a 1/4 ton pickup snap a phone pole once. A fence isn't gonna stop anything. Behind another vehicle is obviously a big no no. A big tree that you can just run around is probably about the best bet.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackeagle View Post
    Should point out that most light poles and road signs do not fall into this category. Many man-made roadside obstructions are required to "break away" in the event of a high-speed impact.
    Well, if you end up not being protected by a light pole or road sign, just sue the municipality for negligence because they put up poles and signs that failed to protect you!

(That's the way things go these days, so why not cash in like every other jerk who claims that the government was supposed to protect him from every possible eventuality?)

Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    I dont think I'd be thinking of drawing, I'd be gettn out of the way..If he comes back, then its time to make some noise..
    Bingo!

All one would hear is the sound of my bionics activating as I leap/throw myself out of the way....and scramble/run for hard cover if they j-turn for a second try.

Moving car > Moving man shooting moving bullets

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Get out of the way, shooting at the car should be your last resort. I might point out that every time I hear of LE shooting at a car, even one trying to run them down, the officer seems to be the one that ends up in trouble for some reason. Use your gun as a last option only.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'd get the heck out of the way. Physics class taught me things such as the relative inertia of a person and a car. Or was that a train and a car? Either way, it didn't look good for the person, in or out of the car!

In CCW class we were told "you can't shoot the car to stop it. But you can shoot to stop the driver assaulting you with the car." So much for taking out a tire.

Guess that means I can't "Lone Ranger" a bad guy and shoot the gun out of his hand either
    Armed & Dangerous...and Inconspicuous...

Let's see. . . . 2 thousand lbs. of steel barrelling at me . . . . . . . . what is that? about 6,000 caliber???

. . . . .Oh yeah. . . . .A hole and elbows!!!
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Yep, exactly what I was thinking too. Get the hell out of the way.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links