Ohio Pizza Beating: What would you have done? - Page 3

Ohio Pizza Beating: What would you have done?

This is a discussion on Ohio Pizza Beating: What would you have done? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; TA, when you complete your course, please post your review here. If, just if, you were to get a chance, you might bring this case ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ohio Pizza Beating: What would you have done?

TA,
    when you complete your course, please post your review here. If, just if, you were to get a chance, you might bring this case specifically as an example of getting involved in a 3rd party shooting. I'd love to hear what Mr Ayoob says about this. 'course, a lot will depend on the state you live in.

Dan

Question Also Team America

Quote Originally Posted by jdsumner
    TA,
    when you complete your course, please post your review here. If, just if, you were to get a chance, you might bring this case specifically as an example of getting involved in a 3rd party shooting. I'd love to hear what Mr Ayoob says about this. 'course, a lot will depend on the state you live in.

Dan
    I have heard a LOT of good stuff about the LFI courses, although the balance of better opinions stems from the GunSite and Thunder Ranch courses. Personally, I'm not terribly fond of Ayoob. He seems to have done a MASTERFUL job of self promotion for most of his adult life. But there seems to be a lot of obscuring smoke there too. It seems he's always been a police reserve officer but I can't see where he's EVER been a full time sworn serving PO. I concur with much of his advice....it's just something that's not quite right....

Anyway, if I had a choice I'd go with one of the offsite GunSite or Thunder Ranch courses. But that's just me. I'd love to know what Mas has to say about this PIZZA BEATING in terms of third party interventions.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    Even if you act in a moral, correct, and righteous manner to save yourself or someone else, you run an excellent chance of being screwed in court later on.

I'm debating whether I should spend $350 this coming November to attend a 2 day Massad Ayoob course here in Denver dealing with the legal aftermath of a justified shooting. I'm thinking it could be money well spent!
    Tell you what, send me $150.00 and I'll tell you what will happen. See, I can save you $200.00!

Not that I've been through Ayoob's course, but I have more practical experience.

Question What's your definition of "practical experience?"

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lowe
    Not that I've been through Ayoob's course, but I have more practical experience.
    Ummmmmm I've seen your profile and home page. What makes you so sure you have more "practical experience?" I mean, you might! But you're a copier tech in Lansing Michigan.... you do side contract hits for the CIA?
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier762
    Ummmmmm I've seen your profile and home page. What makes you so sure you have more "practical experience?" I mean, you might! But you're a copier tech in Lansing Michigan.... you do side contract hits for the CIA?
    I was in the US Army from 1974 to 1978, I worked as an Armed security guard and P.I. in Chicago and the burbs from 1978 to 1990. You won't find everything about me on a web page. Fortunately.

DC Founder
    I agree with you about what the lawyers have done to our society, havegunjoe. We had a retired defense attorney turned CCW instructor teach a segment of our class. It was very interesting and he gave us a lot to think about. I believe the figure he threw out was approximately $25,000 up front for an attorney to even accept your case and that the final cost on an average case would wind up running $35-50,000. That's something to think about.
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Unless you have nothing to lose in the first place. The big thing is whether or not you end up facing criminal charges or civil charges. If you're not prosecuted for criminal charges, that's half the battle right there.

Still, the civil court thing can get messy.

Quote Originally Posted by Team American
    I'm debating whether I should spend $350 this coming November to attend a 2 day Massad Ayoob course here in Denver dealing with the legal aftermath of a justified shooting. I'm thinking it could be money well spent!
    I would be inclined to recommend it based on having taken LFI-I. I think what you are talking about is essentially LFI-I without the shooting.

I personally think it was money well spent. A lot of relevant info was covered regarding what you need to know to avoid being hammered in court for a "good shoot." More important, IMHO, is the information presented on post-shooting trauma. There are a number of things you can expect to deal with on a personal basis, and forewarned is forearmed.

Be advised that you will see several videos, many of which feature Ayoob teaching a certain subject. He says he does this so that he can document the exact information that was presented to each and every class. Further, he can then play the exact tape for a jury, and can, therefore, prove that you have been exposed to certain information. [For example, you're on trial because you shot a man ten feet away from you, who was armed "only" with a knife. Out comes a video covering the "Tueller Drill," which shows that the man was, in fact, a threat and educates the jury as such.] Some people on other forums have felt ripped off by Ayoob teaching via video, according to what I have read. I didn't feel that way, but I can understand why some would.

There's no question that the man is arrogant (he admits it, at least), and I agree he is a bit of a self-promoter. Having said that, I think the course content is valuable, and I'm glad I took it.

YMMV.

Now, back to the pizza parlor...

SSKC

VIP Member
    Thanks for the input, SSKC. I will look into it.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links