Fist fight while carrying

This is a discussion on Fist fight while carrying within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I think the thing I worry about most is getting into a fist fight with someone that is about my size or smaller while carrying. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fist fight while carrying

VIP Member

Fist fight while carrying

I think the thing I worry about most is getting into a fist fight with someone that is about my size or smaller while carrying. If they are bigger, they are more of a threat. Once you pull a gun, things change real quick and you're committed to using deadly force if neccessary. But I may hesitate pulling my gun if the guy is smaller or may be my size, but if I fight the guy, my weapon could be dislodged, fall out and used against me.
    In Ky we do have the Castle Doctrine. If my gun did become dislodged , then my life is in jeapordy. But if I pull it on anyone no matter their size,would it be considered a viable cause for pulling a gun? I do feel I would be in fear for my life because I know one hit from someone could be lethal, another reason would be in fear of my gun becoming dislodged in the scuffle..

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    A gun gets "pulled" on people, irrespective of their size, height, weight, ethnicity, and/or gender if that person is a threat to you; in other words, if that person presents a real threat of causing you death and/or bodily injury....or to those around you.

Concerned your gun might get dislodged in a fight? Get a holster with some retention feature such as a the Blackhawk SERPA or Strong Piece-keeper ( http://www.uniformityinc.com/product...PARTMENT_ID=93 ) OWB holsters. Get weapon retention training as well.

...also try not to get into physical altercations and be aware of your surroundings as to minimize someone "laying hands on you."
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    The best thing to do is avoid confrontation at all cost. Do anything but allow any unpleasantness to escalate. If a fight is unavoidable, then your life must be in peril because you have exhausted all reasonable means of avoiding violence. Then, I would say you have a 50/50 chance of not going to prison for deploying your gun to some degree, but that is a guess.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

VIP Member
    Ive never been in a serious fight in my life. Ive always avoided it. I guess alot has just been luck. I avoid bad areas and would do anything to keep from having a confrontation. I'd walk away, no problem. I have a good holster, but not only can the gun become dislodged, but during a scuffle, the opponent could feel the gun and take it from you no matter how good the holster is..

As srfl said; get a retention holster and retention training. Add alittle pepper spray and running shoes (I kid, I kid!) and you should have most of your bases covered.
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    Ive never been in a serious fight in my life. Ive always avoided it. I guess alot has just been luck. I avoid bad areas and would do anything to keep from having a confrontation. I'd walk away, no problem. I have a good holster, but not only can the gun become dislodged, but during a scuffle, the opponent could feel the gun and take it from you no matter how good the holster is..
    I'd say if you maintain your status quo, then you have 99% of the problem licked.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

I would say the best thing would be to avoid conflict. If that's completely out of the question and you have to defend yourself with non-leathal force I would make sure ahead of time that my weapon is as secure as possible (but even that's not a guarantee that your weapon will become dislodged or that the BG might feel the weapon and try to use it against me). I'd try to use OC spray, and gain distance between the threat and myself. My personal philosophy is "Listen to the little voice inside your head." If you feel like your in a bad place or in a bad situation, remove yourself from that situation. I myself haven't been in any physical confrontations (other than a grade-school fight or two) because I listened to my instinct. I've been lucky in that respect. Fortunate enough to have avoided some dangerous situations. Some people refer to it as a form of paranoia but I refer to it as survival.

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robere View Post
    If they are bigger, they are more of a threat. But I may hesitate pulling my gun if the guy is smaller or may be my size
    IMO this thinking right here will get you killed or seriously injured.. EVERYONE is a threat not just someone bigger than you. the big 250lbs+ guy might be able to pack a big punch but what if the 140lbs guy is a black belt.. that 140lbs guy can kill you alot faster than the big guy that can only punch.... you really need to watch everyone out there not just someone "bigger" than you

Fights Can Be Avoided...

If you are willing to eat some 'crow'.
    Back away, apologize, raise your hands (others will recongnize the 'French' sign).
    If the threat keeps advancing then it's an attempted assault...
    I'm lucky, I'm 60...so the young punks aren't proving anything by challenging me and disparity of force would be pretty obvious.
    I don't look for trouble, I don't hang out in places where trouble starts out as a 'good time'.
    But...
    Don't pull a weapon, touch me, or threathen my wife or grandchildren...you may be surprised at how serious this old man can really get. I'll sometimes give people the respect that they don't deserve. I'm willing to let a lot go, but never confuse 'extended' politeness for weakness!

Stay armed...stay safe!

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Ron
    In Florida I believe that it is a felony to physically attack a "senior." So, if I, as a senior, reasonably believe that I am about to be assaulted by a younger(and let's also say bigger and stronger) guy, and, thus, at risk of suffering death or serious injury, it seems to me that I would then be legally justified in using my gun to protect myself. I agree with Retsupt also that I would first do whatever possible to avoid the confrontation.

Ron

avoid, evade, gain distance and protect your six and if need be use deadly force. Like Jeff Cooper once said violence begets violence and if someone wants to bring violence to me and mine i want to give him as much as he wont be able to stand to end it. no matter his size a threat is a threat and violence is violence, if they are willing to commit a violent act you must be willing to end that violent act as fast and efficently as possible.
    When the dust settles only the prepared will survive.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

remember the only thing common about common sense is that its not that common

Shoot low boys their riding Shetland ponies.

Lowflyer FTW

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Conflict resolution is a big part of the TX CHL course. If all else fails, then all bets are off. You are not obligated to get into a physical battle with anyone, let alone if they suddenly pull a knife or other weapon. Also, what if you are distratcted by the fist fight and they have friends that are waiting to get in the fray?
    I agree with 1911shooter's Jeff Cooper quote.
    ...one jagged hole!

OK, Dumb question time.

WHY THE H E Double Hockey Sticks are you getting in to fist fights as a CCW Holder? Are you out playing "Mall Ninja' trying to stop a shoplifter?

I DO NOT get in to fights, period. I use verbal and physical means to stay out of confrontation. Verbal may include telling the offending party that he is right and that I have my head so far up my rectum that I see daylight when I open my mouth.

Physical means I "Beat Feet" and leave the scene. I avoid all confrontation and make it a point to be polite to everyone. That means no "one fingered" salutes when I'm driving to holding a door open for others to allowing others to precede me on the elevator.

Just don't mistake my kindness for weakness.

Biker

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    OK, Dumb question time.

WHY THE H E Double Hockey Sticks are you getting in to fist fights as a CCW Holder? Are you out playing "Mall Ninja' trying to stop a shoplifter?

I DO NOT get in to fights, period. I use verbal and physical means to stay out of confrontation. Verbal may include telling the offending party that he is right and that I have my head so far up my rectum that I see daylight when I open my mouth.

Physical means I "Beat Feet" and leave the scene. I avoid all confrontation and make it a point to be polite to everyone. That means no "one fingered" salutes when I'm driving to holding a door open for others to allowing others to precede me on the elevator.

Just don't mistake my kindness for weakness.

Biker
    +1 on this. Leave your ego at home when you are out and carrying. That is, IMO, a small price to pay in order avoid the potential life altering confrontation.

Ron

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links